BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Monacobmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 550i

Gran Coupe or Panamera??

Hi, I am new to this site. I have a 2010 550i, and I am thinking of moving up to the 640i GC. The car seems like it is priced very high for what it is. It has the same engine as the 335i and the 535i.

I have been looking at both the 640i and the Panamera. They seem to carry an identical price (when adding similar options). Where I live, everyone has a BMW, so I was looking for a change. On the other hand, I have had 2 5-series over the last 6 years, and I like the brand and feel.

What does everyone think about the two models when compared to each other?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
First of all, welcome!

640i hands down on looks.
Panamera hands down for driving (assuming you're looking at the V8).

I don't think I could go for the 640i instead of paying slightly more for the 650i - my first choice for this type of car. A 640i is about $95,000 well equipped, so $102k to $105k is a small % for such an important upgrade. If you don't want to do the 650i, then I think I'd do the Panamera. It definitely gets unique points in the sea of BMWs. Between the Panamera and the 640i, I'd take the slightly odd rear styling of the Panamera (just my opinion) over the 6 cylinder 640i. The fact that BMW can get away with charging nearly $100k for a huge car with 6 cylinders is really quite astonishing. The 6er really is beautiful inside and out, so I guess it helps
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

Never go with the Panamera unless it's Panamera S with chrono package as the car performance is not that good to begin with and is almost the same as the 640i wich is odd if you ask me.

The only way I would choose a Panamera over a GC is when I can get all the exclusive interior packages like yachting mahogany trim and 2 tones dash board leather.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Agreed, I test drove the Panamera and the Panamera S back to back, and the V6 version just felt overly heavy and slow to accelerate. The handling was there but the engine seemed lackluster.

The BMW inline 6 is an amazing engine, and although I have never driven a 640i GC, I can say that when I did a test drive of the BMW 740Li and 750Li back to back, I was actually more excited about the 740Li from a 'fun to drive' perspective.

On paper the 640i GC has similar numbers to the base Panamera, but in real life the BMW 6 cylinder engine wins.

Now if you decide to look at the V8 models, the story changes. That Panamera S is a total beast. I agree with WhyGeeGee, a car of that caliber deserves the finest of materials and the one I test drove actually had the Marsala Red and Cream two tone interior with the Yachting Mahogany wood trim, this is almost $6k worth of wood and it shows. The renders do not do it justice.

The Sport Chrono package also gets you launch control, sport plus button, more aggressive shifting for the PDK, and 0.2 seconds off of the Panamera S 0-60 time. Also the Sport Exhaust is a must have, too. Even comes with a button to toggle the exhaust! Then there is the Burmester sound system ....

Problem is with all of these options, the Panamera S becomes in a different price range than even a fully loaded 650i GC would be, even if you go Individual and get every option. It makes the 6GC seem like a bargain in comparison, but my personal opinion is as beautiful as I think the 6 GC is, the Panamera is more unique and has more presence. Option for option it is a more expensive car, without a doubt, but it shows.

Final comment, of you like sunroofs, the one in 6 GC only cracks upward, which I found to be silly, and if rear seat usability is a concern, the Panamera also gets the bonus points in that department as well.

Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #5
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Both cars are extremely well built and of similar quality. The name Porsche might sound more prestigious, but that would be an irreleveant decision breaker (to me at least). If looks is of some importance, no doubt the GC takes the price.

Very few customers have driven the GC yet. So I guess I have to base my comments on the experiences I have with the F12/13, and the reviews of the GC.
A basic difference is that the Panamera is of sports car blood, while GT-blood runs in the BMW vains. The Panamera rides and handles as a (too big and heavy) sports car, and do need the V8 to have credibility on the engine side. But even so it does not convince as a sports car, and there are too many compromises for being a GT car (I admit these are complaints on a high level, and I could live with them ).
The GC has other talents. Fast, comfortable, and built for those remote destinations or having fun on your favourite country road. Not built for the race track. But neither is the Panamera, and that's why I think the GC is a more honest car. A shortened 2+2 seater Panamera would be a better concept from Porsche imo.
Having the choice between the two cars, I would pick the GC. Without any doubt if you talk about the 6-cylinders. If the choice is between the V8's I would make a thorough test drive and listen to my gut feeling as well.

Some of us have a blue and white heart, but that would also be an irrelevant argument.....
      06-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
ebeem
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

preowned Panny S
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
Tried panamera turbo, awesome engine, cannot live with the odd back.
Put deposit down for an M6, thinking of getting similar engine experiences but with 'easier' styling.

Fast forward more than a month later, being offered Grand coupe for faster end of year delivery, instead of next year for m6.

Tried 640i coupe yesterday (friend's car), I realized making a mistake ordering an M6 or even thinking of the GC. The visibility to view outside from driver seat is very low to my liking, far below an acura nsx windscreen visibiity for refference. I supposed streched GC would do just the same. The coupe definately felt big, so the low roof produce claustrophobic environment.

Now thinking either wait for facelifted panamera s with the hope of revamped backstyle, elses I go for r231 mercedes SL. I do cross-shopped between the two (4 vs 2 doors) since it wont be my primary car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Holland Harry
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe, Z1

I find the Gran Coupe the much more beautiful car. But the Panamera is I think more exclusive. I drove the 640d Gran Coupe already and also the Panamera diesel and the Gran Coupe wins big time. 313 BHP against 250 BHP, rear wheel drive against front wheel drive even the handling of the Porsche was not Porsche like! The same goes for the basic Panamera although it handles much better than the diesel Panny.

But the Panamera 4S is a totally different ballgame. This car is a full blood sports car and you cannot compare it with a Gran Coupe which is a GT car! I haven't driven a 650ix Gran Coupe so I cannot compare it with the Panamera.

For a everyday drive I would pick the Gran Coupe myself.

Good luck with choosing, you cannot go wrong with one of these cars
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland Harry View Post
rear wheel drive against front wheel drive even the handling of the Porsche was not Porsche like!
No wonder if it was front wheel drive
      06-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
bradh2238
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 M

I came very close to buying a Panamera. Unlike the rest of the world, I like the styling. I couldn't get past other issues. Don't even consider V6. Way too slow. I tried the 4S and the turbo. Both drive well, but feel big. Interior is amazing. You should be fine in Miami, but up here, the naturally aspired V8 lost too much power because of the altitude. Ultimately, I ended up liking the technology and overall comfort more in the 6 series. Definitely an argument for the Porsche if you are really into performance driving, but otherwise I'd get the BMW. This is one of the few times I think you get more for the dollar.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The 650 Gran Coupe has close performances to Panamera GTS...

Also the bimmer has some interesting options and if it is equipped with M Sport has a very aggressive look.

The problem is the price, I would buy an M5 over these two models...

I don't think that Panamera is more exclusive than the Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I test drove the Panamera 4, 4S and Turbo a year ago before getting the 6er. The V6 Panny is just too slow on the pickup. The 4s and turbo are the way to go with the Panamera. My impression on the car is that it has big blind spots on the sides and the rear window is so steep that there is not much you can see from the rearview mirror.

There is also a facelift coming next year so you might as well wait if you really want it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Mikey94025
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
My impression on the car is that it has big blind spots on the sides and the rear window is so steep that there is not much you can see from the rearview mirror.
I'm looking at either the Panamera S or the 6 GC right now and drove both in the past week. Your observation of the Panny is interesting because that's exactly what I thought when I drove the 6 GC -- The visibility out of its rear window is tiny, worse than the Panamera.

I really liked the 6 GC and found it to be a much more intimate vehicle. The Panamera is their 4-door sedan so it's really sits between the BMW 7-series and 6-series. If you need to use the backseat with adults for any regularity, the 6 GC will be challenging.

I really liked all the upscale options available for the 6-series. They're pricey, but so is a fully-optioned Panamera. The one option I really miss in the 6 GC is power trunk close, a surprising omission given that you can get it on the 5-series. On the other side, there is no HUD option for the Panamera.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

i'd wait for the 650i

the panamera is kind of ugly
      07-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #15
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

Going from a 550i to a 640? Don't. Wait for the V8, then make a decision.

Le Sigh.

...Why can't BMW make the Panamera's REAL competitor-the CS Concept?

Gran Coupe is quite nice...but its competitors aren't the Panamera or Rapide. That's like...that little chickenhawk that goes after Foghorn Leghorn.

They are (still) Audi and Mercedes. Especially the CL (supposed to be CLS but not at that kind of pricing!) Therefore, the pricing should really reflect such, and they should stop with the shenanigans.

Wake me up when the CS comes to town. On that day, the apocalypse will be fulfilled...
      07-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #16
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeVetti View Post
Going from a 550i to a 640? Don't. Wait for the V8, then make a decision.

Le Sigh.

...Why can't BMW make the Panamera's REAL competitor-the CS Concept?

Gran Coupe is quite nice...but its competitors aren't the Panamera or Rapide. That's like...that little chickenhawk that goes after Foghorn Leghorn.

They are (still) Audi and Mercedes. Especially the CL (supposed to be CLS but not at that kind of pricing!) Therefore, the pricing should really reflect such, and they should stop with the shenanigans.

Wake me up when the CS comes to town. On that day, the apocalypse will be fulfilled...
I don't think BMW can produce a car that can compete with any Porsche in term of driving and handling but it can produce more luxurious cars but that's it.

If you want something that drives like a Porsche then there is none at the moment in BMW lineup and I don't think there will be.

Regarding the argument with the 640i and 650i I don't know what all the fuss about V8 cars! do you really need all that power in your daily driving? Have you driven a 640i GC to compare and found out that you need more power?

Last edited by WhyGeeGee; 07-15-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #17
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyGeeGee View Post
Regarding the argument with the 640i and 650i I don't know what all the fuss about V8 cars! do you really need all that power in your daily driving? Have you driven a 640i GC to compare and found out that you need more power?
+1
Only the exhaust of the 640i needs a bit more aggressive sound!
      07-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #18
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

@WHYGEEGEE: Why do you think that the future M6 GC is not better than a Panamera Turbo S?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
@WHYGEEGEE: Why do you think that the future M6 GC is not better than a Panamera Turbo S?
As much as I love ///M cars they still aren't as good as any Porsche in term of handling. I think the 6er GC M is going to be close to the Panamera Turbo but not Turbo S unless BMW make the GC M with XDrive.

I think the GC is the best 4 door coupe because it strikes a balance between having a good looking exterior , luxurious interior and good handling where none of it's competitors offer all of the above as it's to me the complete package but that's me
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #20
Ice350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus GS350

These type of questions baffle me. I keep wondering who would buy a car based on what others think. There's only 1 real answer, test them both yourself and you'll know.

On another note, In reading the replies, several were very objective. Not the brand devoted stuff you usually see. I feel better knowing the participants are reasonable people. I can trust more of what they say.

I guess I'll give my opinion.
This is such a tough choice. I like both cars a lot. BMW is doing a great job on the interior, technology and style of its higher end cars. I'd say the GC is more a luxury cruizer.

The Panamera is also luxurious, has a beautiful interior and exterior styling but the tech is not quite as good as the GC.

My choice would be the Panamera. It handles more like a sporty car so you get both luxury and sport in one car. I also think it looks better. A Panamera that's slightly lowered and mounted 22 inch wheels looks exotic. Even stock they have a presense unmatched by the bimmer. In traffic they dominate the immediate area. There is no doubt who is in charge when they enter.
It's unique shape says the owner is a leader and is individualistic.

In the end both cars are great choices. Just drive them both. Sit inside for a while. Run your hand along the inside and outside. Your senses will tell you which to choose.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

The OP is thinking of going from a 550i to a 640i.

What is the difference between regular coffee and decaf?

One's answer is telling enough on what one should do.