BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

06-02-2015, 03:18 AM   #23
BBLF13
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 650i Coupe

Exclamation SOS Malfuntion

Chask:

It's the SOS button on the near the lighting/ Sunroof buttons. During startup, the control message shows that the SOS call system is malfunctioned.

Dinan Stage 1
H&R Lowering Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #24
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBLF13 View Post
Chask:ddddd

It's the SOS button on the near the lighting/ Sunroof buttons. During startup, the control message shows that the SOS call system is malfunctioned.

Thanks BBLF13. I kind of figured it was the emergency call system right where the picture shows it. I just could not figure out what goes wrong with it. I hardly ever pay attention to that startup stuff - only if something persists on the dash after the engine is running and the systems seem to have stabilized (the car is ready to go). And I have never used the SOS . . . no, I take that back. One time I accidentally hit it when I was going for the sunroof and was distracted by a couple of other things going on at the same time. I usually try to have all the controls so well in mind that I can reach for and use them without looking - keep my eyes on the road and focus on driving thing. This particular time I was in a drive thru, the car in front was stopping and going forward rather weirdly (seemed to be paying attention to about everything but driving their car), and I had to stop a bit abruptly to avoid the idiot and in the process I pushed or pulled on the SOS instead of the sunroof button. Oops.

Anyway, I could not figure out what could go wrong with this SOS system. I could not imagine so many people were actually trying to use this and it was not working. I had envisioned something more serous than an indicator lamp staying on (I assume that's what happens). The startup procedure and a persistent warning indication never occurred to me. That's bizarre.

Offhand I'd think this is probably some sort of connection problem - some connector(s) not properly installed or seated, a corroded connection, a crimped wire, a current/voltage surge at power up triggering a malfunction, a bad ground and there are probably many others. Then there is always the old computer glitch and the incredibly fun to discern random startup anomalies. Tracking those kinds of things down can be a real nightmare, especially when everything is buried behind panels. Good luck to all who have been plagued with this one. I hope they are able to find a solution quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:18 AM   #25
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBLF13 View Post
Chask:

So, what's the fix on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:08 PM   #26
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon View Post
When I'm driving the car I love it, but my wife makes fun of how often it seems to be back at the dealers

Driver seat squeak issue (in twice for it, still not fixed)
SOS System Malfunction (they finally replaced the antenna 3 weeks ago, issue is back, yet again)
Recent battery life and oil usage notices
My silverstone leather interior seems to get super discolored by jeans and/or black clothing and with 5k miles looks really dirty/crappy
etc...

Overall I love the car, but it's got a few weak spots...
BTW. Had the SOS issue as well. Changed antenna - returned. There are actually 2 antennas. The issue was a connection between the 2nd antenna and whatever that box is called. I believe they took the lining off go the trunk lid to access. No issues since.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #27
savela
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GladiatorOwner View Post
So, what's the fix on this?
Likely the same issue I had. It's not the button - the issue is in the trunk. I had a loose connection between the COM box (?) and a 2nd antenna. Gone.
2011 550i (traded)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #28
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

Ok thanks, anyone know what the 2nd antennae looks like?

I guess it's time to check some diagrams and trunk wires....
Appreciate 0