BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      06-24-2016, 11:04 PM   #23
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

550xi here, but same problems and couldn't help but jump in with my own experience. The RFTs (especially the LS2's that apparently have come on both 5's and 6's) are beyond terrible. My car has 16k miles now (in 2.5 years of ownership) and has had 3 tires replaced due to tire failure. That's essentially a tire failure every ~5k miles.

To make matters worse, when a tire failure occurs, you could be completely screwed. In one of those instances, I was away from home and it was a Sunday. Most shops were closed (or quickly closing - it was late afternoon). Thankfully, 45 minutes before closing, I found a shop that had a replacement and could take the car. Had I not found this shop, I would have been (a) looking for a hotel, (b) dealing with getting changes of clothing and supplies for my 2-year old toddler, and (c) cancelling all of my Monday meetings that I'd inevitably be missing. ALL BECAUSE OF A TIRE.

I wrote BMW a scathing letter - which received... NO reply. It was professional, despite communicating my complete frustration, especially as a 15 year veteran of brand ownership. BMW (and other brands, to be fair) have missed the boat here. RFTs aren't an acceptable replacement for a spare tire. They're simply designed to ensure you can continue a short distance to a location where you can safely change the tire (e.g. not on the side of a busy highway). However, if it's after hours (or a weekend, in my case), or you're simply in a remote area that doesn't stock these tires, you can be completely STRANDED - simply because BMW was arrogant enough to remove the spare tire - a concept that's been a staple of vehicles since the dawn of the motor vehicle.

As I explained in my letter to BMW, this is akin to buying a lightbulb that, if it burns out, only a professional electrician can replace. Who would do that? Yet, here we are, owners of expensive luxury vehicles, that can essentially strand us - simply because there's no spare tire... and BMW has fitted some of THE worst RFTs to these cars.

To be perfectly honest, I nearly sold the car after this happened. Unfortunately, most of the brands I would have went to are also subscribing to the same disillusion that RFTs are an acceptable substitute for a spare tire. To make matters worse, the "SOS" button simply connects you with a moron who tells you, "wait until Monday morning to take your car to the nearest BMW dealer." Really? Sure, I'll just put my life on hold for the next 24 hours to deal with a TIRE. Or wait... had you put a spare in the trunk, I'd take the next 15 minutes to change it and be on my way... OR, worst case, wait for roadside help to have someone ELSE change it. But either way, it would be a small inconvenience versus a 24-hour long (and completely unnecessary) drama. THANKS BMW.

Don't get me wrong - I love the car, and I've loved my previous BMWs. I'll likely continue to own them in the future. But this is an area where BMW needs a major common-sense wake-up call. Do yourself a MAJOR favor and ditch any RFTs as soon as possible. No spare in the trunk is still a major risk, as a true blow-out (or any sidewall damage) can't be fixed with any fix-a-flat kit. But then again, the likelihood of a complete blow-out is exceptionally lower when compared to RFTs, since the RFTs (ironically!) are much more susceptible due to the same technology (hard sidewall) designed to "spare you" the inconvenience of a tire failure... how do you say, "self-fulfilling prophecy?" Proof of this? I drove my previous two BMWs a combined 214k miles... ZERO tire issues (no RFTs). This one? 16k miles and THREE blown tires. You do the math.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #24
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Only 3 ?? I did that within the first ten days. Now 2 1/2 yrs later, 32K miles. TWELVE tires and 5 bent or cracked rims. Massive PIA but insurance paid for it all. (minor consolation)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:26 PM   #25
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

When I had my '16 535x drive, I suffered a blowout and a bubble on driver side tires due to a cleverly disguised crater like pothole that was filled with rain water. I never suffered a blowout in all my years of driving. The RFT's allowed me to make it home, and drive the car the next day to Mavis for a replacement tire.....only to find the drive side rim was cracked.

My '17 640GC has the LS2 RFT which I have not gotten any blowouts or tire failure of any sorts, but I regularly find myself adding air to the tires, and even minor bumps feel absurdly harsh since f06 is a heavy vehicle to begin with.

I am getting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS Non RFT's installed tomorrow because of how hard the LS2's hit every little bump. Practically everyone in this forum that made the switch to regular tires have not regretted the swap. Looking forwarded to joining that club and sharing my feedback once installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 06:44 AM   #26
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Good comments, suggest everyone carry a small air compressor to deal with slow leaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 06:06 PM   #27
RJV3
Customize Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F06 Gran Coupe/ 16 F10 535

Just got the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS's installed. The car feels like a new car. Costs very smooth and bumps do not hit hard at all.

I'm very happy I made the switch from those Goodyear LS2 run flats.

I have a vacuum / air compressor in the trunk. I'm gonna end up getting the mobility kit and keep in the trunk.

If anyone is thinking about ditching their run flats, do it and don't look back. I'm very happy I did.
Appreciate 0