BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Looking for my first 6 series Gran Coupe (2013-2015)

Hi all

planning on buying a Gran Coupe (in white) in June, what should i look for, looking at 640d, low mileage 20-40k, 2013 -2015 m sport models. Ideal options, soft close, HUD, Digital dash, LED lights.

completly new to the 6, so unsure what to look out for faults or recalls wise

off to scoure the forum

Thanks

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Quite a diverse year there in terms of the 6.

2013/14 was pre LCI
2015 cars in the UK will in some cases the later in the year will be LCI cars.

If memory serves the larger idrive with touch appeared that year, not sure about the full digital MFD though, and I think that is LCI only?

LCI cars got minor changes new lights, 1 less slat in each kidney grill, larger tail pipe finishers on the 640, slightly different idrive screen with gloss and I believe the MFD standard. Furthermore the headlights at minimum were changed to LED (but not adaptive instead of xenon), adaptive was/is a cheap upgrade from there (about £650 if memory serves, if you go pre LCI you will more likely find Xenon not LED headlights as the adaptive was expensive about £2.5k upgrade).

Soft close - difficult option and rarely specified, sorry.
HUD is likely to be part of the "M Sport Pack" - 20" 373's, HUD and HK.

A would look at a car with a sunroof if going for a black interior though as I found many very dark inside due to the roofline

The rest if going LCI is fairly standard in M Sport

General issues are rattly seats, 20" wheel issues IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Dsifer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650i GC 2015

got my 650 a few months ago, 2015, best car I ever drove!!!!
loaded to the gills, paid $49k
25k miles
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

Well optioned cars are few and far between in the UK. There are lots of M-Sport GCs available but with poverty (relatively speaking) specs, so be picky.

In my view the single most important option is a reversing camera. The birdseye camera view option is a bonus. That's because the all round vision on these cars is very poor, especially on a GC. You can get a reverse camera retro-fitted (I did on my old 2012) OEM about £2k, otherwise about £700.

20 inch wheels are a must in my view purely for aesthetics, though on runflats you might find the ride hard. Non runflats offer a much better ride.

Look out for vibrations on the test drive. Drive a few to know what they should feel like. My old 2012 car was very smooth. After changing the wheels, tyres having road force balancing, geometry done and rear axle damper changed, I am still chasing the reason for the poor ride on my 2015 GC. It's back to BMW next week. I now suspect dampers but that's another story.

Soft close doors are rare on later cars. My 2012 had them as did most other of that time and they were rather nice, but not really important.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Option selction may not be complex

Most purchasers will have selected option packages (rare to order options individually, but see further details below). The packages for those years:

Driver Assistance Package : side/top-view cameras, blind-spot detection, lane-departure warning and speed-limit information.

Cold Weather Package: heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel.

Lighting Package: full LED headlamps and automatic high beams.

Executive Package: soft-close doors, a head-up display, four-zone climate control and ventilated front seats, telematics concierge services and a premium audio system for the 640i. For the 650i, it also brings a power rear sunshade, manual rear window shades, contrast stitching, ceramic controls and a leather-topped instrument cluster.

M Sport Package: includes 19- or 20-inch double-spoke wheels, lower-body aero styling, a unique three-spoke steering wheel, a faux-suede headliner and a higher (155 mph) top speed limiter.

Individual Composition Package: 19- or 20-inch wheels, LED headlamps, darkened window trim, upgraded leather upholstery, a faux-suede headliner, unique cabin accents (piano black, Sycamore wood or White Ash wood) and the availability of unique, extra-cost exterior paint colors.

There were additional individual options which you could order without a package: adaptive suspension stabilizer bars (known as Adaptive Drive), active steering (not available on xDrive models), a night-vision camera, adaptive cruise control, extended leather upholstery, automated parallel-parking assist and a 16-speaker Bang & Olufsen surround-sound audio system.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errowen View Post
Most purchasers will have selected option packages (rare to order options individually, but see further details below). The packages for those years:

Driver Assistance Package : side/top-view cameras, blind-spot detection, lane-departure warning and speed-limit information.

Cold Weather Package: heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel.

Lighting Package: full LED headlamps and automatic high beams.

Executive Package: soft-close doors, a head-up display, four-zone climate control and ventilated front seats, telematics concierge services and a premium audio system for the 640i. For the 650i, it also brings a power rear sunshade, manual rear window shades, contrast stitching, ceramic controls and a leather-topped instrument cluster.

M Sport Package: includes 19- or 20-inch double-spoke wheels, lower-body aero styling, a unique three-spoke steering wheel, a faux-suede headliner and a higher (155 mph) top speed limiter.

Individual Composition Package: 19- or 20-inch wheels, LED headlamps, darkened window trim, upgraded leather upholstery, a faux-suede headliner, unique cabin accents (piano black, Sycamore wood or White Ash wood) and the availability of unique, extra-cost exterior paint colors.

There were additional individual options which you could order without a package: adaptive suspension stabilizer bars (known as Adaptive Drive), active steering (not available on xDrive models), a night-vision camera, adaptive cruise control, extended leather upholstery, automated parallel-parking assist and a 16-speaker Bang & Olufsen surround-sound audio system.
But you won't find these option packs in the UK
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark333032 View Post
Well optioned cars are few and far between in the UK. There are lots of M-Sport GCs available but with poverty (relatively speaking) specs, so be picky.

In my view the single most important option is a reversing camera. The birdseye camera view option is a bonus. That's because the all round vision on these cars is very poor, especially on a GC. You can get a reverse camera retro-fitted (I did on my old 2012) OEM about £2k, otherwise about £700.

20 inch wheels are a must in my view purely for aesthetics, though on runflats you might find the ride hard. Non runflats offer a much better ride.

Look out for vibrations on the test drive. Drive a few to know what they should feel like. My old 2012 car was very smooth. After changing the wheels, tyres having road force balancing, geometry done and rear axle damper changed, I am still chasing the reason for the poor ride on my 2015 GC. It's back to BMW next week. I now suspect dampers but that's another story.

Soft close doors are rare on later cars. My 2012 had them as did most other of that time and they were rather nice, but not really important.
Have to agree with everything here. Reversing camera is indeed the most important option.

Softclose doors is great but means you will no longer be able to close regular doors on the 1st attempt! No Joke, it takes me 2 attempts every time!

HUD one my favorites though, these cars can break the speed limit very quickly and there is nothing worse then accelerating hard and having to look away from the road ahead!

Not sure if there was any changes to the drive train in the later years but my 2012 has been very reliable, i can't report any recurring issues at all!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #8
darms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport Shadow Ed

Have to say my 2012 640d Msport with 19's May be one of the higher spec'd GC around. Came with all options except adaptive suspension and HK sound system. It's got everything else and so far all has been super reliable.
      03-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #9
MARKPRIOR
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 M6 GC

Thanks all some food for thought there and not to many suggestions in the way of common faults so thats good

Previous:2014 640D GC 383BHP + 733NM, F10 2010 530d 520i (2000), E36 comact 318i, E46 M3, E46 318Ci, X5,
Non BMW: 5x Skyline / GTRs, 5x Supras, 2x Nissan 200sx s14a, lots of other stuff
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #10
Margas
Private
Rep
Drives: F06 640i / E30 325ic

Nappa leather is a must in my opinion as well. I can't stand the grain that the dakota leather has.
Appreciate 0