BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #1
650i2014
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i

Exclamation Headlight Protection Film - Your Thoughts

Hi guys, I'm quite hesitant whether to install headlight protection film on my 650i headlights or not. I heard cases of damaged clear coat upon the removal of the protection film (not the 6 series specifically but in general).

I'd appreciate your thoughts as I need to make up my mind; keeping the headlights without protection and getting stone chips, or possible damage to the clear coat when removing the film! Tough decision.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
Krasna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i

I bought my 640i GC used and it came with a 'Clear Bra' installed on the front fascia, roughly 1/3 of the hood (towards the front), fenders, plus headlights and side mirrors.

I've slowly been removing all the clear protective crap. I refer to it as crap, because the film made the headlights look "foggy." As much as the product is designed to shield the paint from rock chips and debris; I find that the film makes the paint look relatively dull and when knicks occur, then the result is a collection of small indentations that would probably otherwise be unnoticeable.

Wish I had before and after pictures, but my vote is clearly against such products. The other gripe is that the bug debris was very hard to clean off the film; sort of like a gummy material that doesn't want to let go of anything that it collects.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #3
Krasna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Also, I should acknowledge that there are probably a few different brands/manufacturers of these products, so perhaps others have had better luck.

I'm not sure which brand was on my car, as the paperwork (that came with the vehicle) provides no indication.

Perhaps if you change-out the film every two years; you might avoid the clouding/fogging. My car is a 2013 and I have to believe that the film was installed by the original dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 02:47 AM   #4
650i2014
Private
Rep

Thank you Krasna for your feedback. That kind of observation is exactly what worries me when it comes to protection films I'm hoping results vary with different brands and products; I read good reviews on Xpel; yet I remain undecided
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #5
drmlee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F06 650i

i have clear bra on my p car and bmw, on the whole front end, including the headlights and fog lights. the p car has had the film on there for over 4 years and it still looks clear and shinny. maybe krasna's car had some cheap film on there? but none of my cars turn foggy or distorted even after 4-5 years. the bmw is a few months shy of the 2 year mark, and it still looks as good as it was when new.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #6
Krasna
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmlee View Post
i have clear bra on my p car and bmw, on the whole front end, including the headlights and fog lights. the p car has had the film on there for over 4 years and it still looks clear and shinny. maybe krasna's car had some cheap film on there? but none of my cars turn foggy or distorted even after 4-5 years. the bmw is a few months shy of the 2 year mark, and it still looks as good as it was when new.
Yeah, I probably had the cheap stuff ... I hear the previous owner was a cheap bastard :
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
jsahyoun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC - 2015

I have installed Suntek film two years ago on the whole front, headlights and back side mirrors, it's been great except for few very tiny bubbles, don't know how the formed, they don't bother me.
If you are going for it, I recommend to get the precut kit from ebay, I made a mistake earlier and had my X5 custom done, and installer made two small paint cuts.
      06-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #8
650i2014
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsahyoun View Post
I have installed Suntek film two years ago on the whole front, headlights and back side mirrors, it's been great except for few very tiny bubbles, don't know how the formed, they don't bother me.
If you are going for it, I recommend to get the precut kit from ebay, I made a mistake earlier and had my X5 custom done, and installer made two small paint cuts.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I'm considering Xpel precut protection films which cover the headlight and the fog lights
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #9
pinguhk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI F06 640i Msport

I have install this from day one of owning the car and the film is very think 1mm. It has save my headlamps many time from stone chips
Attached Images

06-28-2017, 02:25 AM   #10
650i2014
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguhk View Post
I have install this from day one of owning the car and the film is very think 1mm. It has save my headlamps many time from stone chips
Awesome, thanks for sharing

May I know what brand it is?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 04:55 AM   #11
pinguhk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI F06 640i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650i2014 View Post
Awesome, thanks for sharing

May I know what brand it is?
sorry I did not ask but I know it is not 3M
      06-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
DC650
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i

I also have been running a clear bra on my wife's LS460 for the past 4 years and its shiny and clear. Unfortunately I don't recall what the brand was but I know it wasn't cheap. I'm having my 650 wrapped right now. When I pick it up I'll make sure to get the brand for you.
Appreciate 0