BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #23
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

m630, I am a little confused by your first post. You said if you don't change the eq on the premium sound or b&o they will sound exactly the same. Wouldn't that mean if I change the eq setting on the b&o to the settings you have on the premium they would still sound the same? I am just trying to figure out if there are any advantages to the b&o outside of the looks. I haven't gone out there and really looked but from the pictures it seems like the eq on the premium is the same as the b&o.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Hi,

My initial post was to note that factory default settings for both are flat/neutral, so the sound from them would be very similar, both unimpressive. You are absolutely correct that by setting up the B&O Eq optimally, you will get the most out of the system. Now when you ask if they will sound the "same" well that is very subjective of course because that is where the different processors may be somewhat differentiated (ie Dirac DSP vs B&Os DSP) as well as the speakers themselves. My contention is that if there is any real difference in sound quality, you would have to be able to set up the EQ to a professional level with meters and other tools to perhaps discern -- if at all. And this being the case, I think most may say that at the end of the day, the B&O may just be more expensive for the wow factor of the pop ups and lights, which I'm sure you'd agree are a true cost and part of the expense associated with the option, so it's not as if you are getting the total value of the expense dedicated to sound equipment only (ie the $3700 for the option is not paying for just "better" speakers and sound processor, but for the entire option, which can make up perhaps half of more of the actual cost) and being that B&O is a brand that is know for very pricy, artsy, cool design form speakers that don't necessarily perform any better than a similar high end speaker, you are certainly paying a premium for those elements that have no effect of the sound quality output.

In terms of your question on the actual EQ screen, yes they are the same, so your ability to tune frequencies for both systems will be very close given that you set them up the same. Understand that there are much more in depth EQ possibilities depending on the frequencies supported by the EQ, so for example, if the B&O option actually gave you an EQ with perhaps double the frequencies as the Premium sound, then I'd have made some different statements on the sound comparison because theoretically, you should be able to discern the sound further by the further splitting and ultimately fine tuning of each of the additional frequencies.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #25
Speedy_XL
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M

m630 I setup the tone you posted, but there is a small problem, i listened couple of songs, but some of them when the singer sings "s or s sound" sound, i found that the speaker gives the pitch too high, do u know how to fix it? I dont know if its just me. Sry my english. Thx in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
nwills
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

I'm also an audio professional. I make my living with music as a producer and mix engineer.

I agree with what's been said about the premium sound system being pretty good overall. It's a matter of EQ. The curve that was posted is a good and standard EQ setting referred to as a smile curve. Emphasis on the top and bottom end will make the listening experience pleasant. The stock system is pretty bass heavy to begin with due to the dual subs under the seats so some emphasis on high mid presence is required to push forward detail and presence in the vocal/lead instrument range which usually sit between 4 and 10 kilohertz.

I find the surround option pushes the presence back and creates less detail and sound separation. I prefer this option turned off as I get a better stereo field and better response from the system.

SAT radio is overly compressed and lacks in top end, mid range and bass (everything)! I wish there was a way to create different EQ settings for different sources....or is there?

This system isn't audiophile quality and doesn't sound like what I'm used to at work in recording facilities...but it's a car!! And a good sounding car system at that. I haven't heard the B&O option so I can't comment on it.

I'm happy with the sound in my 650GC!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Thanks for the additional info. I don't think I'm ready to lose the training wheels of m630's setup, but I at least feel like I've got some vague idea about how this works.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #28
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

I agree with nwills that surround option isn't good.

Speedy_XL, lower treble a bit and that will fix it.

For me, m630's setting is very very good, and if there is anything then it is just the matter of adjusting treble and bass.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #29
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Seems odd to me that the treble and bass controls aren't deactivated when one chooses to use the equalizer. There's no way to know what frequency these controls are affecting, so I keep mine flat and do all tone control with the equalizer.

If the B&O system were really worth its salt, it world come with a parametric equalizer for more control. Then again these high end car systems are supposed to be factory tuned to work with each vehicle's unique environment. Any tone control is there to compensate for differences in source material and user preference (again subjective). I like the idea of having multiple EQ settings tied to each source selection. I for one don't bother adjusting my EQ every time I select a new input.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #30
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnz
I for one don't bother adjusting my EQ every time I select a new input.
Yeah, if BMW thinks I can't be bothered to control the speed of my windshield wipers, turn my high beams on and off, or put a key in the ignition, then I mustn't be bothered with the rigors of adjusting EQ settings when changing from my iPod to the radio
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #31
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Just to add to the B&O discussion, even though I do think it is very much overpriced. I do like the idea of having a sound option that adds to the looks/sophistication of the car, even if the sound isn't any better. Now if they would just take the premium system and make it the standard system and charge the premium price for the B&O it would all make more sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

I too don't bother adjusting my EQ all the time. However, I find that bass and treble is a quick way to do quick adjustment if needed from 1 type of music to the next after getting EQ right.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1
Just to add to the B&O discussion, even though I do think it is very much overpriced. I do like the idea of having a sound option that adds to the looks/sophistication of the car, even if the sound isn't any better. Now if they would just take the premium system and make it the standard system and charge the premium price for the B&O it would all make more sense.
The look and sophistication are the source of my regret. The Premium looks fine - blends in nicely - but the B&O looks stellar. I wouldn't the mind the Premium if the B&O didn't exist.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 05:59 PM   #34
yl_ksa
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2013 640i GC

When I ordered my car I wanted to add the B&O speakers but the dealer told me I will have to wait 3 more months because that will be a custom order -_- They always try to get rid of the stock they have.

I decided not to get it but I was wondering if the premium sound package is what I have or is it something even less?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #35
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yl_ksa
When I ordered my car I wanted to add the B&O speakers but the dealer told me I will have to wait 3 more months because that will be a custom order -_- They always try to get rid of the stock they have.

I decided not to get it but I was wondering if the premium sound package is what I have or is it something even less?
It should be listed on the sticker for a '12. For MY '13 and later the Premium was made standard on the 650i, at least in the U.S. the option list should show it irregardless of it being standard or optional.
Appreciate 0