BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

12-29-2014, 11:24 PM   #23
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

I just wish that, when attempting to purchase a $100k+ car, one would not have to encounter salespeople who act like you are a total-dummy pushover in a sleazebag, low-rent used-car lot.

Anyway, the decision has been made. We're going for the '16 B6! The sales manager even contacted me and promised that I will get a copy of the order guide when it becomes available and that she will let me know when a production slot becomes available. We intend to get the same blue exterior w/black interior and red sycamore trim that we saw in Irvine.

Assuming everything goes as planned, I will post my own comparison between the '15 M6GC and the '16 B6 at the appropriate time. I won't be able to compare the transmissions, though, since the M6GC has a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 11:51 PM   #24
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

This may be old news to many, but here are some of the things that I learned about the B6 when I was reading the various reviews. Of course, the Internet being what it is, I cannot guarantee accuracy, as the sound level data seems to clearly show. I confess that I did not further cross-check the information.

540 hp, 540 lb-ft 4.4 liter V8 (20 hp less than M6, 38 lb-ft more than M6).

Ungoverned 198 MPH top speed (unless you order the all-season-tire option, in which case top speed is limited to 130 MPH).

Alpina 20-spoke, 20 inch wheels.

New forged pistons, larger turbochargers, larger intercoolers. Basically the same engine as found in the B7.

xDrive recalibrated to send all power rearward until slip is detected.

B6 is 4780 lbs. vs approx. 4395 lbs. for M6GC. Therefore, the B6 is not as great in the corners. However, C&D got 0.92 lateral acceleration for the B6 vs. 0.93 for the M6, so I'm not sure how much that matters outside of the track. I’ll say this – compared to our CLS55, our M6GC feels like it rides on rails, and that’s without the competition package! It will be interesting to see how the B6 compares to our M6GC.

Uses the brakes from the 760i. The brakes are described as being somewhat mushy and do not inspire confidence.

Steering allegedly is heavy and well-weighted but lacks any sense of being connected to the car. The same goes for the suspension.

Allegedly quieter than the M6GC. In C&D’s comparo among the 2014 RS7, M6GC, and CLS63, idle sound levels were 48/48/46 dBA; WOT sound levels were 75/79/79 dBA; and 70-MPH cruise sound levels were 66/68/67 dBA. In C&D’s track sheet for the B6, the numbers were 46/76/71. So the B6 matched the CLS63 at idle, was slightly louder than the RS7 at WOT, but was significantly louder than all three cars at 70-MPH cruise. That doesn’t seem right. I could understand if they used C-weighting for their measurement of the B6, but it is my understanding that they use A-weighting for all tested cars. I don’t know if the B6 was set to sport mode and the others were not, but the 71 dBA measurement for 70-MPH cruise in the B6 doesn’t make sense. Digital Trends alleges that the B6 has more sound deadening and refers to it as “serenely quiet.” According to them, the B6 is as “tomb quiet” as the RS7 at top freeway speeds. It is also allegedly quieter than the standard 650i gran coupe. Something’s wrong.

Anybody have additions or corrections to the above?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #25
Brooke
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6. Blue/Marino

Jim,

I see that you have the B6 in your garage. Give us a short review?

Where in Nor Cal are you?

I'm in Sonoma County and waiting for a '17 blue/Merino B6. The My BMW page says it is "en route"; I'll find out from my sales guy tomorrow exactly what that means.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:54 PM   #26
Brooke
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6. Blue/Marino

***Anyway, here are my questions: According to the B6 brochure, the B6 focuses on luxury as well as performance. It implies that the B6 is quieter than the M6, and that seems to be implied by the reviews I have read as well. My wife would like that. Anyone have any real-world experience with these cars?***

I know this is an old thread, but some might find it when doing research (as I did).

Just have 700 miles on my B6, but here goes. The short answer is that the B6 is very quiet. Too quiet? When using the shift buttons (in place of paddles) recently driving in the mountains near Lake Tahoe, I had to keep an eye on the tach, as I virtually couldn't hear the engine. That was a first for me.

The B6 pumps no engine noise into the cabin, as I believe BMW do, at least on the Ms (my wife has an M4).

I wanted something unique and was drawn to the B6. As I said, my wife has an M4 and previously drove a 650 coupe. We love BMW. The 650 GC is gorgeous, but didn't quite do it for me. I didn't drive the M version because I didn't think that M treatment was what the 650 GC lacked. Took a flyer on the B6 and am quite happy. Is it "worth" the premium over the 650? Is it worth 2x a $65,000 car? It's easy to make the case that it is not, but at that price point improvement is always incremental ...

Last edited by Brooke; 03-20-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0