BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #1
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 650i

Android display

I know that OEM display is 10.25". Can I replace with 12" or bigger?
Any recommendations of proven, reliable android touchscreen with built-in carplay to replace OEM display?

Still want to use OEM mic, rear camera and idrive and steering wheel knobs.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

I bought one of these for my F10 5-series and it was superb. Sadly they dont do one for the F13. From an electronics perspective it would most likely work no problem but mounting would be the main issue I guess.

Last edited by swissfraser; 11-14-2023 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 12:15 PM   #3
D'Mann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i GC - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
I bought one of these for my F10 5-series and it was superb. Sadly they dont do one for the F13. From an electronics perspective it would most likely work no problem but mounting would be the main issue I guess.
One of whats? I don't see anything as an example in your post.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:17 PM   #4
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

apologies, messed up the link https://bmods.co.uk/product-category/bmw-androids/
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 05:35 PM   #5
cdiesel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 650i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolianovskyi View Post
I know that OEM display is 10.25". Can I replace with 12" or bigger?
Any recommendations of proven, reliable android touchscreen with built-in carplay to replace OEM display?

Still want to use OEM mic, rear camera and idrive and steering wheel knobs.
I was also looking for a 12” display and i couldn’t find a proven and reliable android touch screen. However, Seicane sells a 12” android display so I went ahead and purchased it.

https://www.seicane.com/for-2011-201...on-system-h879

I haven’t installed the system yet but i’ll make sure to return here and give out a update!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 05:42 PM   #6
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Excellent, looking forward to your findings, having done this in my 5-series I would definitely do it again in my 6.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 12:26 AM   #7
e70ist
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sport-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiesel View Post
I was also looking for a 12” display and i couldn’t find a proven and reliable android touch screen. However, Seicane sells a 12” android display so I went ahead and purchased it.

https://www.seicane.com/for-2011-201...on-system-h879

I haven’t installed the system yet but i’ll make sure to return here and give out a update!
Any updates? Looking to pull the trigger on this but looking for a review first.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2023, 06:07 PM   #8
cdiesel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e70ist View Post
Any updates? Looking to pull the trigger on this but looking for a review first.
No updates yet. I have been talking to my bosses and they told me of stories with aftermarket stereos that cars will not start or brick the entire system. I tend to worry about all that so I’ve been looking for a pro to install it but can’t find nothing yet. As mentioned it is a Asian brand and mixing that with the complicated IDrive system I feel like it’s a disaster waiting to happen, but that’s just me someone else could have a different opinion. I might bite the bullet at the end of the week and install it myself I will give out a update if that happens!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 04:53 AM   #9
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No updates yet. I have been talking to my bosses and they told me of stories with aftermarket stereos that cars will not start or brick the entire system.
I understand that you feel like that, it's certainly quite a daunting task the first time around. If I can find a uk supplier I'll likely do this in January as I wont be working and will be bored :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 10:43 AM   #10
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No updates yet. I have been talking to my bosses and they told me of stories with aftermarket stereos that cars will not start or brick the entire system. I tend to worry about all that so I’ve been looking for a pro to install it but can’t find nothing yet. As mentioned it is a Asian brand and mixing that with the complicated IDrive system I feel like it’s a disaster waiting to happen, but that’s just me someone else could have a different opinion. I might bite the bullet at the end of the week and install it myself I will give out a update if that happens!
At the end of the day, it is just a display, the worst thing is it would not work.
My concern that on their website they have this description: Carplay Android 11.0 12.3 inch for 2011-2013 2014 2015 2016 BMW 6 Series F06 F12 Radio HD Touchscreen GPS Navigation System with Bluetooth

Is it touch?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 11:53 AM   #11
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Is it touch?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 02:32 PM   #12
cdiesel
Rep

I’ll write a more in depth review later as i’m pretty busy but wanted to get this out here. I installed the 12” screen and it works without any major issues!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-18-2023, 02:43 AM   #13
dieselguy1980@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i Msport Convrt

Garage List
Great info

Question were you upgrading from NBT or NBTEVO? Does NBT have Aux/Ami? Do you need to order any other xtra cables like DVR, OBD, GPS, DAB or usb to video output adapter? The site doesn’t really explain what you might need to get besides unit to retain the original factory options functionality.
Any advice would be appreciated before I jump off this cliff. LOL

2014 650i Msport Vert
Bootmod3 stage 2 93 oct
JB4 Map 2, 4
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 05:38 AM   #14
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

I bought mine from AliExpress and have been using it over a year with no issues. Can't speak for CarPlay as I'm an Android user, but to be honest I never use Android Auto. When you have one of these Android Head Units there's no need. All the apps are installed on the device itself, I love it. And 12.3" is perfect. Link below to the unit I got. Go for the 128GB version, it has the better Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 processor.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtpKDzI
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #15
Kolianovskyi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
Yes.
Can you remind, is this just a display or it has a software (android, apple carplay) on board?
Any photos how it looks when working?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
cdiesel
Rep

Quote:
Can you remind, is this just a display or it has a software (android, apple carplay) on board?
Any photos how it looks when working?
I will send a video tomorrow showcasing the carplay when i get my 650i back from detailing.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 04:15 AM   #17
dieselguy1980@gmail.com
Rep

Garage List
So I compared the 2 systems and went with the Nunoo over the Seicane because of the Qualcomm Snapdragon665/625 having much better performance over the RK3066 1.6GHz Cortex A9 Dual-core. Although the price difference has widened since I bought it. No problems with the install, and everything was st8 forward. The system is pretty much plug in play except for a few details.

First you have to change resolution of the display so it views correctly in both android and BMW. Under the Android menu screen click settings and click on factory settings. Menu prompt for password which for Nunoo is :666666
Then under BMW you will get a list of number and resolutions. For NBT it was BMW 8 which was the 10.3” option. This should make the BMW interface fit the screen better and look just like factory.

The 2nd thing I had to address was audio output. Just select option for original and use BMW’s setup. To get the audio to the head unit you need to log into regular BMW interface, and under media you need to activate Aux. During the install it’s pretty easy to run the Aux cord on the right side of the main unit and run it along the gap line between leather trim on passenger side and wood/carbon gear shift trim towards the armrest. The slip it in and under to the aux port located near bottom of arm rest. This allows head unit to use audio from BMW hard drive, dvd/cd, and usb. Now I was having trouble just playing from Bluetooth of my phone to unit, but like it was stated by the guys above. All the Android apps you would use on your phone you can download and just use head unit & android auto.

The next problem I crossed was if you have cameras under camera settings under new android interface click again use original and turn off all the other options as these will block the image from popping up automatically with gear selection of R.

Lastly if you want to stream line interface you will want to setup your phone to allow hotspot and setup android interface to use it. The problem with this is eveytime you have to turn it on in the phone and it’s time consuming. There is an app called Tasker and videos on YouTube which will guide you through the steps to make this automated. I have it set up so that every time I get into my car and the bmw Bluetooth connects to my phone it triggers the task of turning on hotspot for me and connects head unit. When I turn off my car tasker is triggered by the disconnect of the bmw Bluetooth and automatically shuts down hotspot. This automated app is like $3 in store, but there are so many tasks you could potentially setup for your device that it is well worth it. Currently exploring other tasks as we speak.

All in all it was a great upgrade especially since my screen had the peeling anti-glare and have been wanting to upgrade to use android auto. If you play music videos thru USB just be aware the video is a lot brighter and more noticeable at night��
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 01:50 PM   #18
rorz12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy1980@gmail.com View Post
So I compared the 2 systems and went with the Nunoo over the Seicane because of the Qualcomm Snapdragon665/625 having much better performance over the RK3066 1.6GHz Cortex A9 Dual-core. Although the price difference has widened since I bought it. No problems with the install, and everything was st8 forward. The system is pretty much plug in play except for a few details.

First you have to change resolution of the display so it views correctly in both android and BMW. Under the Android menu screen click settings and click on factory settings. Menu prompt for password which for Nunoo is :666666
Then under BMW you will get a list of number and resolutions. For NBT it was BMW 8 which was the 10.3” option. This should make the BMW interface fit the screen better and look just like factory.

The 2nd thing I had to address was audio output. Just select option for original and use BMW’s setup. To get the audio to the head unit you need to log into regular BMW interface, and under media you need to activate Aux. During the install it’s pretty easy to run the Aux cord on the right side of the main unit and run it along the gap line between leather trim on passenger side and wood/carbon gear shift trim towards the armrest. The slip it in and under to the aux port located near bottom of arm rest. This allows head unit to use audio from BMW hard drive, dvd/cd, and usb. Now I was having trouble just playing from Bluetooth of my phone to unit, but like it was stated by the guys above. All the Android apps you would use on your phone you can download and just use head unit & android auto.

The next problem I crossed was if you have cameras under camera settings under new android interface click again use original and turn off all the other options as these will block the image from popping up automatically with gear selection of R.

Lastly if you want to stream line interface you will want to setup your phone to allow hotspot and setup android interface to use it. The problem with this is eveytime you have to turn it on in the phone and it’s time consuming. There is an app called Tasker and videos on YouTube which will guide you through the steps to make this automated. I have it set up so that every time I get into my car and the bmw Bluetooth connects to my phone it triggers the task of turning on hotspot for me and connects head unit. When I turn off my car tasker is triggered by the disconnect of the bmw Bluetooth and automatically shuts down hotspot. This automated app is like $3 in store, but there are so many tasks you could potentially setup for your device that it is well worth it. Currently exploring other tasks as we speak.

All in all it was a great upgrade especially since my screen had the peeling anti-glare and have been wanting to upgrade to use android auto. If you play music videos thru USB just be aware the video is a lot brighter and more noticeable at night��
Nice to see that you went with the one I recommended it's awesome, definitely need it in today's age.

I also encountered all the problems you mentioned when I first got it. As you said, for the camera just keep the original BMW interface and disable the mute otherwise it cuts your music when engaging reverse.

I ran the AUX cable underneath the middle console area, under the wooden trim and then fed the cable through the phone adapter interface within the centre storage console. That way you don't see any external cable, it's all hidden under the trims with the other cables and comes out inside the storage console directly.

For the internet/hotspot issue, I solved it by just buying a data SIM for the headunit. Now the headunit is self sufficient and has it's own internet always. That way I run all the apps directly on the headunit and never need use my phone. Never use Android Auto either.

As for Bluetooth. I disable the Bluetooth in the headunit and only use BMWs. There's no need for it really and just causes more headache. I mostly keep Bluetooth enabled in BMW and hardly use the AUX (don't listen to radio). And phone auto pairs with BMW Bluetooth when I enter car and plays music automatically.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 09:51 PM   #19
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Does anyone know if one of these units will work with a 2013 F13 CIC system? I bought a unit from a member here about 5 years ago and could never get it to work right. Every time I went to the Android side, it triggered an Adaptive Headlamp error (I have LED lamps on an M6) and the car would 'blonnnngg....' at me until I parked, stopped the car for 20-30 minutes and restarted. Made the damed hung useless. And support from the vendor was pretty much nonexistent.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:34 AM   #20
Smooth6
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 640i

I just bought one of these. Fingers crossed that it all works well. Thanks for the info on getting it right. I just picked up a 640i 2014 so it definitely needs this update.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:32 AM   #21
dieselguy1980@gmail.com
Rep

Garage List
Quick correction the BMW setting is 1 if using NBT.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 11:33 AM   #22
dieselguy1980@gmail.com
Rep

Garage List
Yes they offer units for CIC
Appreciate 0