BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-22-2023, 06:43 PM   #1
xidamaaa
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i 2013

iDrive Control Knob Stuck

Hi all,

My iDrive controller knob is stuck whenever I toggle it to the right. It won’t return to center unless I manually move it back. It works though, just annoying. Has anyone experienced this before? Have you had any luck fixing it without replacing the whole unit? Thank in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 08:33 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If the earlier knob (like yours) is like the later knob (slightly larger)...there is an inner plastic ring that cracks and hangs up the movement.

There are threads with images...I'll stop know to search for that info and edit later.

EDIT:
Here's a link to a thread on replacement of the smaller iDrive controller...it may give some indication of what to check or replace...even though it may be a different platform...the iDrive controller design is the same: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608933

Below is a pic of the broken plastic ring...and here's a link to a thread on the topic (again, I'm not sure if this applies to the smaller iDrive controller or not): https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611701

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-23-2023 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2023, 04:49 PM   #3
xidamaaa
Rep
Drives: BMW 640i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If the earlier knob (like yours) is like the later knob (slightly larger)...there is an inner plastic ring that cracks and hangs up the movement.

There are threads with images...I'll stop know to search for that info and edit later.

EDIT:
Here's a link to a thread on replacement of the smaller iDrive controller...it may give some indication of what to check or replace...even though it may be a different platform...the iDrive controller design is the same: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1608933

Below is a pic of the broken plastic ring...and here's a link to a thread on the topic (again, I'm not sure if this applies to the smaller iDrive controller or not): https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611701

Thanks for the response! Yes I’ve seen that post before. I took out the top cover and the saw the ring.. didn’t pull it out as I thought it was something deeper that’s causing the knob to stick to the right and won’t spring back to center. But I guess it’s worth a shot..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 06:47 PM   #4
WhateverRegister
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xidamaaa View Post
Thanks for the response! Yes I’ve seen that post before. I took out the top cover and the saw the ring.. didn’t pull it out as I thought it was something deeper that’s causing the knob to stick to the right and won’t spring back to center. But I guess it’s worth a shot..
Hey were you able to fix your knob sticking? I removed my top cover and didn’t see any ring and I can’t see a ring on your picture so is it possible to get an update? Thanks
Appreciate 0