BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-18-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
silvergsx623
Registered
Rep
Drives: E64 645i, C8 vett, Supra, L405

New E64 - DTC P3216 P1515 P0442

Hello everyone,

I am picking up a new to me 2010 E64 and it currently has 3 active DTCs.
P3216
P1515
P0442

I wanted to come here and ask for any tips / hints and methods for tracking down the issues. I do not know the history of the vehicle.

Thank you for your time.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 08:41 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

These "P codes" are what you get with a generic OBDII scanner. If you scan the car with a scanner capable or reading BMW-specific codes you will get a somewhat higher degree of specificity. You can look up P codes as well as the BMW codes on a site called BMWfault.codes. It gives more info on how to troubleshoot, although it can sometimes be obtuse.

The first code is about an instrument cluster failure. If you have no such issues, clear the code and see what happens. The second code is one of those that seems to appear often and usually means nothing. It has to do with engine shutdown timing, whatever that is. Again, if the car seems to run fine, don't worry about it. I don't think it will trigger a check engine light. The third one is one of the most common P codes across all car brands. It is telling you there is a leak in the vapor capture/recirculation system of your fuel system. It is the code you will get if you leave your gas cap off or if the rubber gasket on your gas cap is bad. There can be other causes - like a cracked rubber line to the vapor canister. Maybe get a new gas cap and clear the code and see if it comes back.

Last edited by Opie55; 06-19-2023 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 08:47 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

And I forget to add that my car has no issues and runs perfectly, but if I scan all modules with a BMW scanner - in this case Bimmerlink on my phone - I will always get a number of stored codes. Some of which will not clear. I've learned to ignore those that always show up.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 08:18 PM   #4
silvergsx623
Registered
Rep

Also has faults for
TMPS
Dynamic Drive

I assume these two may be related - If it thinks a tire is flat the car may not allow the dynamic drive?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 08:20 PM   #5
silvergsx623
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
These "P codes" are what you get with a generic OBDII scanner. If you scan the car with a scanner capable or reading BMW-specific codes you will get a somewhat higher degree of specificity. You can look up P codes as well as the BMW codes on a site called BMWfault.codes. It gives more info on how to troubleshoot, although it can sometimes be obtuse.

The first code is about an instrument cluster failure. If you have no such issues, clear the code and see what happens. The second code is one of those that seems to appear often and usually means nothing. It has to do with engine shutdown timing, whatever that is. Again, if the car seems to run fine, don't worry about it. I don't think it will trigger a check engine light. The third one is one of the most common P codes across all car brands. It is telling you there is a leak in the vapor capture/recirculation system of your fuel system. It is the code you will get if you leave your gas cap off or if the rubber gasket on your gas cap is bad. There can be other causes - like a cracked rubber line to the vapor canister. Maybe get a new gas cap and clear the code and see if it comes back.

Excellent! Thank you for the information.

The car seems to run and drive fine - just has the faults and TPMS / Dynamic drive issues.
I am looking at BMW specific scan tools
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 10:40 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

You are probably correct about the TPMS and other issue being related. I’m not sure what kind of system the E series had - if it has pressure monitors in the wheel or if it relied on wheel speed sensors. If the former, one of the batteries may have failed after 13 years. A BMW reader should tell you which wheel is not working. Of the other codes, I think the only one that will trigger a light in the cluster is the fuel vapor leak, so you’ll want to fix that one so you don’t have to look at a light all the time. As for BMW readers, if you just want to read and clear codes or register a new battery, it’s hard to beat BimmerLink on your phone. It does that as well as live monitor nearly 100 parameters like current charging voltage, percent battery charge, temps of every fluid, etc. if you want to go deeper and be able to reset or initialize modules, then ISTA is probably best, but has a much steeper learning curve.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 12:41 AM   #7
silvergsx623
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You are probably correct about the TPMS and other issue being related. I’m not sure what kind of system the E series had - if it has pressure monitors in the wheel or if it relied on wheel speed sensors. If the former, one of the batteries may have failed after 13 years. A BMW reader should tell you which wheel is not working. Of the other codes, I think the only one that will trigger a light in the cluster is the fuel vapor leak, so you’ll want to fix that one so you don’t have to look at a light all the time. As for BMW readers, if you just want to read and clear codes or register a new battery, it’s hard to beat BimmerLink on your phone. It does that as well as live monitor nearly 100 parameters like current charging voltage, percent battery charge, temps of every fluid, etc. if you want to go deeper and be able to reset or initialize modules, then ISTA is probably best, but has a much steeper learning curve.
Thank you again for all of the helpful information!
I have downloaded Bimmerlink & ordered the OBDlinkCX off of amazon.

Another issue that I noticed is the convertible top will not go down. This may be because the rear passenger side will not go down either. I hear it making some noises when I try to roll it down via the driver door switch.
I'll have to dig in and do some investigation.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 07:49 AM   #8
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Yeah, the convertible tops are complex and definitely tied to window operation. The top will not go to step 2 until all windows are lowered. You may well have a bad window regulator back there. Bimmerlink will read your convertible top module and give you any error codes. Just based on my casual reading of posts here for the last 5+ years, the top mechanisms are not overly problematic even though convertibles are a smallish subset of owners. If you can't figure it out, at some point you may want to go to one of the other internet forums that focus on the E-chassis 6 series. This forum is populated almost exclusively by 2012+ F-chassis owners, so you may want to hunt down those who have experienced your issues on your same car.
Appreciate 0