BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

07-22-2023, 05:03 AM   #1
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

F13 Interior Trim

Hi all, first time posting since joining the 6 family - excited to be here :-)

Previously owned an M4 and there was no end of mods, OEM suppliers and after market accessories so I'm happy to have found this forum where there's a lot of life and a lot of people happy to mod their cars.

First question. Has anyone every changed the interior trim? Mine has the silver hexagon trim but I'm really not a fan, especially as I have a cream interior with the black leather transmission tunnel and dashboard - I dont really need three colours! I would love to change the trim to either piano black (no clue if they even did a piano black for the F13) or the carbon fibre from the M6. Has anyone done this job? Easy enough? Any suggestions for where to source parts?

Much obliged!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 07:07 PM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissfraser View Post
Hi all, first time posting since joining the 6 family - excited to be here :-)

Previously owned an M4 and there was no end of mods, OEM suppliers and after market accessories so I'm happy to have found this forum where there's a lot of life and a lot of people happy to mod their cars.

First question. Has anyone every changed the interior trim? Mine has the silver hexagon trim but I'm really not a fan, especially as I have a cream interior with the black leather transmission tunnel and dashboard - I dont really need three colours! I would love to change the trim to either piano black (no clue if they even did a piano black for the F13) or the carbon fibre from the M6. Has anyone done this job? Easy enough? Any suggestions for where to source parts?

Much obliged!
I didn't know there was a silver hexagon trim on a 6. I've only seen a brushed/plain silver. I don't think piano black was offered. The M6 trim will work other than the center console because the shifter is a different shape. However, in later years (maybe 2017-18 only) the F12 convertible could be optioned with carbon fiber - at least in the US. I've seen a number of them for sale. I don't pay any attention to the F13, but maybe it could be had with it as well. You could find any used F13 from later years for sale online and plug the last 7 places of the VIN into RealOEM.com, find the part and see what options it gives you.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 07:30 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Go to one of the online part database sites like www.realoem.com or www.bimmercat.com and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN.

Go to the vehicle trim diagrams to see what the BMW 11 digit part number is for the type of trim you are looking for. Using the correct 11 digit BMW part number will make it easier to shop for the trim pieces you want.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

So I just looked by using a 2017 VIN. There is piano black. It's under the parts heading for "Individual" options. No idea if they came in the backwards version for your RHD cars, but any individual trim would be very hard to find used and super-expensive new.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 07:57 PM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Another suggestion would be looking into wrapping your existing trim if you can’t find the actual pieces in the piano black or carbon fiber…which will probably be pretty expensive if you’re looking for Individual trim pieces.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2023, 02:09 AM   #6
Gulu100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,17 f12 vert

Mine had the piano black but it did not look good at all so I had it wrapped in carbon fiber… here is a pic .
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-23-2023, 06:01 AM   #7
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all!

I have considered wrapping as the trim I've seen on ebay is pretty expensive. Good shout on the M6 trim Opie55, I hadnt considered the different shifter. Will stick in my VIN and see just how expensive it would be.

That's nice work Gulu100, I think I'll probably go down the same route as you. Any advice for removing the trim or is it straightforward?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 11:37 PM   #8
Gulu100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i,17 f12 vert

I had my guy that did paint correction and ppf take care of it for me.. didn’t really give me a separate line item for it..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 12:01 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks all!

I have considered wrapping as the trim I've seen on ebay is pretty expensive. Good shout on the M6 trim Opie55, I hadnt considered the different shifter. Will stick in my VIN and see just how expensive it would be.

That's nice work Gulu100, I think I'll probably go down the same route as you. Any advice for removing the trim or is it straightforward?
The dash trim just pulls/pries out, and can thereafter be separated from the vents, if needed. The center console is also easy. Pull straight up on the cupholder insert to remove that. Then pull out the driver's side long trim piece that covers the area between the carpet and the side of the center console. Under there you will see a single torx screw. Remove that and then pull/pry up the center console trim from the rear. You'll have to then pull off a couple small electrical connectors. Takes 5 minutes to remove. The doors you have to remove the door panels, then unscrew the trim from behind.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 04:29 AM   #10
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
The dash trim just pulls/pries out, and can thereafter be separated from the vents, if needed. The center console is also easy. Pull straight up on the cupholder insert to remove that. Then pull out the driver's side long trim piece that covers the area between the carpet and the side of the center console. Under there you will see a single torx screw. Remove that and then pull/pry up the center console trim from the rear. You'll have to then pull off a couple small electrical connectors. Takes 5 minutes to remove. The doors you have to remove the door panels, then unscrew the trim from behind.

Thanks, I found a very handy post of yours from a while back detailing the process for the centre console. The doors sound like a pain in the butt unfortunately so I'll see how the rest of it goes first!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I found a very handy post of yours from a while back detailing the process for the centre console. The doors sound like a pain in the butt unfortunately so I'll see how the rest of it goes first!
Removing a door panel is not really that bad. Watch a YouTUbe video for something like replacing a door lock or door speaker on a 6 series and you will see how to do it. All door panels are pretty much the same on every car - you just need to know where the screws are on your particular car, and BMWs are odd in that the right and left door panels are not the same. One has the pull handle and one does not. Anyway, it will just be three or four screws, then a series of those plastic clips around the edges you pry out, then you have to lift up and out because they hook over an unseen clip near the center. I sounds harder than it is, and honestly, the hardest part is unhooking the various connectors/cables while you awkwardly hold the panel. Best to have a helper for that. But as DIY projects go, I'd still rate removing a door panel as easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #12
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Removing a door panel is not really that bad. Watch a YouTUbe video for something like replacing a door lock or door speaker on a 6 series and you will see how to do it. All door panels are pretty much the same on every car - you just need to know where the screws are on your particular car, and BMWs are odd in that the right and left door panels are not the same. One has the pull handle and one does not. Anyway, it will just be three or four screws, then a series of those plastic clips around the edges you pry out, then you have to lift up and out because they hook over an unseen clip near the center. I sounds harder than it is, and honestly, the hardest part is unhooking the various connectors/cables while you awkwardly hold the panel. Best to have a helper for that. But as DIY projects go, I'd still rate removing a door panel as easy.
Ah cool, I'm just lazy rather than useless so I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 07:50 AM   #13
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

So for completeness, I thought I'd come back and share how I got on with my trim aspirations.

First up, it's very expensive to get any parts for these cars and furthermore, parts are rare. I removed my centre console and based on the size and shape of it I decided that wrapping probably wasnt the way to go. I felt like I'd get better results painting the parts, but as its obviously a one-way job really I didnt want to risk it not going well, so I bought the three separate trim pieces on ebay from a scrapyard, for a very reasonable price.

I bought primer, gloss black paint and a satin lacquer and over the course of a week converted them all from silver to black. Today I fitted them to the car and I'm delighted with the results. The black finish is incredibly similar to the black plastics already on the car and for me the interior looks far better and you'd never know it wasnt like that from the factory.

Now to see if I can upload images...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 08:18 AM   #14
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 10:23 AM   #15
Opie55
Colonel
Rep

I think it is this thread that made me think I needed to post a correction about trim removal. I, and others, have said that the dash trim pieces just pull off. That is true of the center piece below the iDrive screen , but the piece that is part of the headlight switch has one screw holding it at the side, so you need to pull off the side piece with the small round air duct in it off to access.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2023, 10:49 AM   #16
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
the piece that is part of the headlight switch has one screw holding it at the side, so you need to pull off the side piece with the small round air duct in it off to access.
Confirmed as correct! There's also a small plastic piece that goes over the steering wheel that needs removed before you can remove that side part, its easy removed if you pull up and out.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:01 AM   #17
tomppa
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 6

Quote:
So for completeness, I thought I'd come back and share how I got on with my trim aspirations.

First up, it's very expensive to get any parts for these cars and furthermore, parts are rare. I removed my centre console and based on the size and shape of it I decided that wrapping probably wasnt the way to go. I felt like I'd get better results painting the parts, but as its obviously a one-way job really I didnt want to risk it not going well, so I bought the three separate trim pieces on ebay from a scrapyard, for a very reasonable price.

I bought primer, gloss black paint and a satin lacquer and over the course of a week converted them all from silver to black. Today I fitted them to the car and I'm delighted with the results. The black finish is incredibly similar to the black plastics already on the car and for me the interior looks far better and you'd never know it wasnt like that from the factory.

Now to see if I can upload images...
Seems to be difficult to get the perfect finish; runs/uneven surface and scratches easily(?). I wouldn't be able to live with that. Did you sand them before lacquer? Pro could paint it perfect, but the cost?

I like the color, looks balanced with the rest of the interior.

Around here I haven't found anybody who would wrap. I did it myself for my previous car, but swore to never do it again!! It took ages and drove me crazy while fiddling with tight corners and edges; impossible to get it perfect and imperfections will haunt you as long as you own the car

I am also on hunt for the M6 carbon interior, but can't find any preowned ones. Need to get rid of that piano black!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 08:24 AM   #18
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep

...it was the piano black I was wanting if you want to sell me yours :-)

If I had taken more time and had more patience then I could definitely have done a better job of the painting. I did sanddown the centre console before painting. The lacquer will prevent it scratching and to be honest, the trim I took off looked worse than the painted trim I put in so I'm more than happy.
Appreciate 0