BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

09-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

When deciding on the 6er, how important was vehicle safety?

Crash test and overall passenger safety ... how important was it to you when choosing a 6er?

Did it factor a little, a lot, somewhat? Or not at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I honestly didn't give it much thought. There wasn't a lot of info about different testing available, and I kinda assumed that it is one of the safest cars on the road in this size range. The active and passive features are pretty numerous, and deemed them more than sufficient. It seems like BMW, Merc, and Audi have similar variations on a theme when it comes to these features, and no single safety was important enough to significantly sway my ultimate decision.

xDrive is the only "safety feature" I gave any consideration. DSC is probably sufficient for 95% of the conditions I drive in, but the extra 5% of protection was worth the money. I have no regrets at all about going with xDrive, and the recent tropical storm activity resulting in lots of standing water and extremely heavy rain has reaffirmed my love for the system.

BMW Assist was a feature I liked, but I wouldn't consider it a feature I thought much about. It is standard on the, so that does contribute to my general apathy toward this feature since it was a given, no cost feature.

I think the fact that I don't have kids who would be riding in the car contributed to the lack of attention I gave to crash testing and passenger safety.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

Safety was not an element, really. I assume BMWs to be sufficiently safe by nature.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
Safety was not an element, really. I assume BMWs to be sufficiently safe by nature.
+1 but from experience - I'm on my 8th BMW.
Appreciate 0