BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #23
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

All of your reviews confirm what I thought immediately after I saw the commercials for it.

Having a show about a full Asian family would be nice, but I think there are steps before that which still need to be taken. Such as more predominate roles in general shows. I know there are/have been some, but not enough.

I don't know if this is racist, or true, or I'm just speaking about something I am too uninformed in, but I feel like there is a lack of very good Asian actors. To pull together a top to bottom Asian show is a risk.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI
All of your reviews confirm what I thought immediately after I saw the commercials for it.

Having a show about a full Asian family would be nice, but I think there are steps before that which still need to be taken. Such as more predominate roles in general shows. I know there are/have been some, but not enough.

I don't know if this is racist, or true, or I'm just speaking about something I am too uninformed in, but I feel like there is a lack of very good Asian actors. To pull together a top to bottom Asian show is a risk.
Whaaat?! I am sure there are plenty of very talented Asian actors out there. It's just that there are not enough roles created for them in America.
I think the casting was just wrong for this show and the writing is bad.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #25
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Canada resident wants more Asians on American TV. Have i got that right?
      02-10-2015, 12:04 PM   #26
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Canada resident wants more Asians on American TV. Have i got that right?
Haha, well your shows are on our TVs. Although tons of your shows and movies are actually filmed here in Vancouver!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:20 PM   #27
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Don't think I laughed once. Most of the jokes were already aired in the preview anyway. It did take me back to some childhood memories. I didn't see any feather dusters or coat hangers though so maybe they're saving that til later.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #28
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando
Don't think I laughed once. Most of the jokes were already aired in the preview anyway. It did take me back to some childhood memories. I didn't see any feather dusters or coat hangers though so maybe they're saving that til later.
Lol! Feather dusters!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #29
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Whaaat?! I am sure there are plenty of very talented Asian actors out there. It's just that there are not enough roles created for them in America.
I think the casting was just wrong for this show and the writing is bad.
Well yes, I am speaking in regards to Hollywood/American TV. I am even more specifically speaking about fluent English actors. A thick Asian accent does not lend it self very well on camera (I assume the opposite would also be the same in Japan or South Korea). Really any heavy accent that you cannot control is a handicap. So the resolution to this problem could be more roles, but I still think the crop of fluent English actors is slim. But as I mentioned, I know shit about the industry, so if there really are countless quality actors out there just not having available gigs, that is a shame. In the case of this show you are right, things like the casting and writing are surely going to be responsible for its doom.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #30
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

going to try and watch it soon, been meaning to. as an asian american i feel like i should support asians breaking into the entertainment industry
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #31
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
Nefarious can do lots of fob accent (at karaoke, according to him). I haven't watched the show, but I would like to get his opinion on the show.
LMAO Neh (Korean for "yes"), I can, sah~!

Damn, got popular all of a sudden... This past year of trolling, weirdness when I'm not having severe depression, a fear of not being taken seriously [that backfires on me like that damned killed-by-the-cops thread], and rambling due to a shitty social life paid off! Sadly, there isn't a TV in this place, nor do I have Hulu/Netflix as of the moment so I haven't watched a full episode. I think like a haole most of the time, so any FOB moments are going to be painfully obvious for me. But living in Alhambra/Monterey Park, CA has shown me REAL FOB-ness.

This show is like Panda Express to a true Chinese restaurant, or Taco Bell's crunchy tacos (AKA chingadera) is to a Mexican joint in East LA with a security guard hired. With that, from what I saw on previews so far...
  • Kudos to the mom's memories of the Asian market / bazaar... But 1. Why isn't she going down the aisle using a baby stroller as a shopping cart? 2. Why is she in an actual supermarket and not Costco, or trying to make due with the 3rd-rate American stuff in a Chinese supermarket (e.g. expired Smucker's jam and cheap bread with a brand you've never heard of)?
  • The weird meals that she cooked for lunch? I can relate... But why is it noodles but not something with seaweed, preserved duck egg or chicken's feet?
  • Why isn't the mom driving with a welding mask-like apparatus and leg warmers for the arms (below... They're gloves in the pic but I've seen sleeves), going 15 MPH in a 35 in a high-end car (S 55 AMG or Alpina B7), and using the opposite lane of traffic as a left-turn lane?
  • Shouldn't at least one of them use a pink Hello Kitty umbrella as a parasol, especially a male?
  • Most FOBs I know most likely don't know how to operate the radio, so it's a silent ride all the way through. The few that do (at least here in SoCal)? Chinese talk radio or Chinese songs. '90s Europop is out of the question.
  • Why do they open a gaudy American steakhouse that is in decent repair? Name ONE Asian owner of at least an Outback and I'll do a fucking cartwheel. Most Asians? They open a Chinese restaurant with decor that is either worn out, outdated, dirty and/or dollar-store cheap, and most of the wait staff are rude and in their own world. In fact, if I go into a Chinese restaurant and the dude does NOT look like he's going to spit in my food, or doesn't slam the plate and start walking away briskly as soon as it hits the table and staring everywhere except for the dining area so that you'd almost have to walk up to him just to get service, the food is probably garbage and they're trying to compensate (all kidding aside, I despise Chinese restaurants for this reason).
  • Most FOBs prefer boys as children to extend the family lineage... Direct counter to "love it like the daughter we wish Devon had been". Oh, and not many FOBs name their child Devon; it's usually the same list of 20 names or a corruption of their Chinese name (I knew this one dude name 王冰 = His English name is Ice Wong. Literally. Ice.).
  • Most FOBs tend to prefer Asian vehicles, like Honda or Toyota (even if they must go the old route, a Previa that has an exhaust with the whistling defect), not a sky blue Plymouth Voyager with paneling. But since Asians are into vans for the "big car" feel (for the same reason we like flashy SUVs)... Not necessarily our culture of it being fleet or dead-into-parenting (we don't even call it a "van", it's a "7 seater"... I have a friend that owns a Sienna that is not a parent or professional driver), the fact they own a van is on par with most FOBs.
  • Sorry, all I can think of when I see Randall park is Kim Jong Un shitting himself to Katy Perry. Nothing else. I have no other similar problems with other actors/actresses... i.e. I don't see Ah-Nuld and automatically think Terminator.
  • The only thing 100% accurate? Shameless self-promotion no matter what it is (e.g. the scene where he talks about his restaurant to the principal), and their coupons must have a catch (you must buy a drink).

Damn, I should've written the episode... I can make them look like Borat of the Far East!
Attached Images

::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #32
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

It's not funny and mildly entertaining. I'll give it one more episode...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #33
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

NEF- about the van, this was the 90's so the Chrysler Plymouth and Mazda MPV were very popular then. It wasn't until the late 90's/early 2000's that the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey take off. An uncle of mine drove a Plymouth in the 90's so it's not at all uncommon.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #34
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

i think it's hilarious, but i also like movies that everyone else thinks aren't funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:13 PM   #35
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionJim
i think it's hilarious, but i also like movies that everyone else thinks aren't funny.
Hahaha! Is it safe to assume you're not Asian?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #36
DemolitionJim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 MW M3

Quote:
lol you assume correctly.

i think i laugh more about it being set in the 90's and him being such a huge hip hop fan that he wears wu-tang and B.I.G shirts and acts like a boss.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #37
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionJim
Quote:
lol you assume correctly.

i think i laugh more about it being set in the 90's and him being such a huge hip hop fan that he wears wu-tang and B.I.G shirts and acts like a boss.
Haha, yeah, that part is pretty funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 11:44 PM   #38
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
NEF- about the van, this was the 90's so the Chrysler Plymouth and Mazda MPV were very popular then. It wasn't until the late 90's/early 2000's that the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey take off. An uncle of mine drove a Plymouth in the 90's so it's not at all uncommon.
Oh. Had no idea that it was set on the 90s, and I had no clue what demographics drove what cars back then, and every memory I had of being in an Asian's car were mostly Japanese cars plus the occasional Euro (like a Jetta or E34)... But then again, that was when I was in Taiwan. In the US, my dad had an 80s Mazda Sundowner and my mom had a 70s Volvo 245 DL.

Heck, I even forgot to mention it above, but when I saw the kid's B.I.G. and Wu-Wear shirts, I was like "yeahhh buddy, he's into old school? Not even 'Americanized' Asians really listen to that!"
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:01 AM   #39
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
watched the youtube series but haven't had a change to see this new sitcom.
Should be as entertaining, gotta look into it
      02-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #40
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Just watched the first few episodes, the show is very mediocre. Also since I watched The Interview the day before I started watching this show, everytime I see the dad in the show I immediately think Kim Jong-un hahah.

As far as a lot of the criticism I have read in this thread goes, I think everyone needs to tone it down a notch. This is a sitcom starring an Asian family that is being aired in America/Canada, not a documentary about one. If you think that they are going to go true full Asian (I hope that didn't come off as racist) then you clearly don't understand the concept of demographics.

Alpina B3 Flash, JB4 G5, BMS DCI, BMS OCC, VRSF DP, VRSF 7" FMIC, 30% tint, matte black kidney grills, paint matched e90 spoiler, paint matched front splitter, black finishing rods, BMW OEM Blacklines, Cyba air scoops, powder coated matte black wheels, Koni + Eibachs, more to come.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #41
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19BMW
Just watched the first few episodes, the show is very mediocre. Also since I watched The Interview the day before I started watching this show, everytime I see the dad in the show I immediately think Kim Jong-un hahah.

As far as a lot of the criticism I have read in this thread goes, I think everyone needs to tone it down a notch. This is a sitcom starring an Asian family that is being aired in America/Canada, not a documentary about one. If you think that they are going to go true full Asian (I hope that didn't come off as racist) then you clearly don't understand the concept of demographics.
Yeah, you're right. I know I'm being overly critical. Maybe it's an Asian thang
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #42
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I just finished watching episode 3 with the bloack party and it was kinda funny. Watching episode 4 now. The show pretty much highlights all the family/cultural things with Asians.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #43
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22
I just finished watching episode 3 with the bloack party and it was kinda funny. Watching episode 4 now. The show pretty much highlights all the family/cultural things with Asians.
Hmm ok maybe I need to keep watching. I did read that the actors got more accent training after the first episode so maybe it won't be as annoying to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #44
K19BMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. I know I'm being overly critical. Maybe it's an Asian thang
Haha i understand. Im jewish so everytime I watch a sitcome staring jewish people I tend to do the same.

Also, and I could be wrong but from your picture you look like someone my friend showed me who did a video of a fake bookcase door. Is that you?
Appreciate 0