BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
M6 Coupe - several Australian reviews

Quite a number of Australian journalists were invited to the launch at the Ascari racetrack in Spain:

general criticisms : weight, steering and sound

Carpoint: ... the most honest review, in summary, disappointing in terms of what the M6 was built up to be.
http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2...st-drive-31005

Carsguide:
http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...t_drive_review

Drive:
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...630-2191x.html

Last edited by danielt; 07-04-2012 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
dutycalls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

Thanks Daniel.

It's a little disconcerting that most of these reviews are not finding full satisfaction with the new M6 (Coupe especially).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
It's always been a grand tourer and not a sports car. And that's just what they are saying which is correct. I didn't buy it to go racing on a track. If that was my intent, I would have gone with an M3 or a Porsche 911 Turbo S.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
It's always been a grand tourer and not a sports car. And that's just what they are saying which is correct. I didn't buy it to go racing on a track. If that was my intent, I would have gone with an M3 or a Porsche 911 Turbo S.
+1. There seems to be this general assumption by critics of 6er (whether it be a regular 650i or M6) that BMW intends for them to directly compete with smaller, track-oriented cars, like the 911. Yes, people cross-shop the two all of the time given the similarity in some of the performance figures, price, badge prestige, etc., but I don't think anyone who buys a 650i/M6 expects it to be a 911-type "sports car" instead of being what it really is, a high performance GT that handles well for its size, has a nuclear bomb under the hood, and is brilliant to drive both on the track and along the French Riviera.

Seems like those critical of the M6 only have negative things to say about performance GTs in general compared to the 911 benchmark. Maybe the exhaust could be a little louder (I haven't heard it personally - just going off of the criticism) given that you'd expect a beastly noise to come from an M6.

I'm interested in seeing if the new M3/M4. I think this car has the most potential to be the perfect blend if they can keep a respectable power to weight ratio while trimming the car similarly to the M6. To me, an M3 coupe with the toys, luxury, and styling to match the M6 would be the perfect competitor to a 911 and possibly the perfect BMW (perfect is obviously subjective, but here I mean best of everything and not caring about practical considerations). The new M6 vs. the old M6 are night and day in terms of style and luxury, so this treatment to the upcoming F80 would be astonishing.

I adore the current M3 and was very tempted, but (a) I didn't want to buy one with the F80 coming in the near future (i.e. before I'd be ready to replace it), (b) the current M3 can't compete with a 650i in terms of tech toys, style, and luxury, and (c) the 650i gave me more practicality and comfort in a very good car - not an M3 in terms of dynamic handling and overall performance, but the current F13 (on paper) very nearly matches the old M6's 0-60 time.

I've completely gone off track, but my point is I think a lot of critics are being unfair to the M6 as they're trying to compare it to a car it was never meant to be.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Yes a lot of journalists (all over the world) draw comparisions to previous M cars as well as the Porsche, hence the shortcomings / disappointment when such comparisons are made....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Price aside, the M6 especially this 2012/3 model, based on classification, size, layout and general performance should be compared to the likes of:

Bentley GT/C v8 and maybe W12
Mercedes CL63
Mercedes SL63
Ferrari 599GTB
Jaguar XK

Aston Martins entire current line excluding the One77,(I hear there are still a handful left for sale). The Rapide will be M6GC competition.

The 6 series has definitely moved up market. Failure to understand or see this results in comparing it to the wrong cars.

Feel free to add whatever I left out.

Also the current M3 does well when put against the Audi R8 v8 & Porsche 911.

A friend sent me an email a few weeks back and wrote, "take note of the performance numbers of the three".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu7uy...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__nXs...e_gdata_player

Last edited by Judah; 07-05-2012 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0