BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

05-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Do you wash your vert in a car wash?

I always wash the car by own hand, first spraying it carefully with luke warm high pressure water. After that with buckets of luke warm water, quality shampoo and a wash mitt.

I never challenged the soft top and the sealings by washing in a car wash. Untill now. Some of you might remember i had a major car crash in october. The body shop had to remove the top and all interior to fix the car. Everything seems to be well done, but I wanted to test if the car would withstand very high water pressure, like in a machine wash where the lack of brushes is compensated by higher pressure.

Sorry to say, but the car failed the test. A waterfall from the top of the A-pillar made my left thigh completely wet, and on the other side I had to protect the nappa seat with a swim towel.

I complained to the body shop, but their conclusion after testing it with a hand held pressure washer was that everything is normal. Their test did not result in any leak at all.

So I wonder about your experiences guys. Are your verts water proof?

Last edited by Superspeed; 05-10-2012 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
RDT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport convertible

Very sorry to hear that.

Picked up my new convertible last week, and on the first day it rained it leaked onto the front passenger seat. Not much, but a leak nevertheless. I've not taken her out in the rain since, and I'm hoping it was a one off, although I suspect not! We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I have not taken my vert out in the rain or thru an automatic car wash. I wash it myself when it's nice and warm out.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
TopDownInFL
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650 Coupe

I washed both my last two 6er verts in the car wash occasionally, but mostly did it by hand. RaggTopp is THE cleaner and protectant for your top.
Appreciate 0