BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

10-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 F12 soon...

Lightbulb Thoughts After Test Drive of C2 Coupe, C2S Cabriolet, BMW M6 Coupe Carbon Roof

I would like to first say that there really isn't much of a comparison between BMW and Porsche. The Vehicles;

2013 Porsche C2 Coupe, 20's, white 14 way...

2013 Porsche C2S CAbriolet, 20's, Ventilated sport seats (a must w/ Cab), Sport Exhaust( Wow!) PASM, Sport Chrono...

2012 BMW M6 Sakhir Orange, 20's Carbon Roof.

The first one my wife and I drove, was the C2 Coupe. Coming from burbling V-8's, she says it sounded like a volkswagen..."What's that noise?" It is the engine huney...It takes a bit to warm up...

It drove fine, took it down a long country road, with 20mph turns which we customarily take at Twice the posted speed...No problem very smooth. Met up with some bumpy road conditions, and it seemed that the back of the coupe had about 1-2" of soft movement then a more firmer response, like progressive springs. Pushed SPORT and it did firm things up, but still in a nice way. Dropped off car at the dealer, and was like, "Oh I Don't have to have this car..." It was unremarkable... Nice and very good but not great.

Then the C2s Cabrio'.. I guess i should save the best for last... Onto the BMW

I calll it the BMW, and not the M6 because it reminds me of driving a big luxury car. I mean it is basically an M5 with no room in the back seat for real people. It did feel big but I would still consider it for long trips. It is Big, and Heavy, but it did have power and luxury. There is a perceptible lag, and coming from the Porsche, it is even more noticeable. It is comfy, and sporty, but not in a way that sends chills down my spine, the way my E39 M5 used to. The Steering is great and gave more feedback than the 650i Vert I drove. I actually heard a lot of road noise and it just didn't feel that special or gave me chills. Maybe I'm too old for chills..? lol No, I'm not because the next vehicle woke them chills up, and said, "Heeeeelooo there!"

I thought I died and gone to heaven, and had to pinch my self; Not physically because That's wierd, and there were people watching, but mentally.

So, we take it, being the C2s Cab, and drive it down the same road, which to us was replaced by aliens while we weren't looking. The 911 is invigorated, with spunk and attitude, and the gear changes, although each Porsche had the PDK, Were spectacular and each, "Snick" "Snick" of the gears changing brought a smile to my face, as if I were the Grinch on Christmas, in that part where he found he had a heart. The Gear changes on the S seemed faster, smoother , and made a little sound that i can only explain as the Disney Fairy touching her wand on my forehead! It was sublime...

The Cab also felt smoother and didn't drop so far in the rear as we went over the same bumps. It felt more planted, and more stable.

It Was/Is the Car in the Porsche Commercials, the one that makes one's salivation glands work like the Alien in Alien Vs Predator.

So, in closing and from a layman's perspective, I feel that at this point there is really something special going on with the Porsche and although I haven't ruled out the M6 or the 650i that my wife likes, I'm still eagerly tossing the 911 S Cab around.
      10-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
V8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 Coupe

drove the 2013 carerra 2 fully loaded and hated it. So relieved to get back into my E92 M3 after. EVERYTHING felt better, stacks more power, more eager.

Torque curve of C2 is useless in a city, sharp as hell peak at 5500 rpm otherwise un-torque-y.

Waiting for my m6 and happy as hell.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
6th BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMWs

test drove a new 911 (owned one in 1996) Porsche is stuck in an old body that is trying to be a luxury car. i was shocked with how boring the new 911 was; seemed to have less excitement than my old 745. got an M6 coupe...and it's much more like a sports car and it's usable.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm still not ruling out the M6 The M6 is a great Touring Car, with a bucket full of power. I could go either way, but not sure which will keep me happy long term. I'll be looking on 6post for stories and adventures of the M6...
      11-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

When driving the M6, did you use the M1 or M2 buttons?

That changes the car into a beast (at least the M2 does). The steering, suspension, gearing, noise changes onto a different level compared to just tootling along in std. config. It's a night and day (or Jekyll and Hyde) difference.

In std. settings the M6 is smooth and comfy and soft. In M2 mode it becomes a beast!

If you didn't try M2 mode I suggest you take it for another spin...
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
I Bleed BMW Viscous
Private
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up update

I do really enjoy the 911 C2s but after an extensive drive for over 2 hours, the excitement wore out as did my butt. Fortunately, i did not have to purchase the 911 because it could have cost me dearly in depreciation. I know have a moment to see that benifits from the M6 and still possibly the M5. Turning my research towards the M6 and will look forward to the spacious and comfortable cabin until Dr Jeckly wants to play...

Still bleeding BMW viscous...
      11-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
kingoyejordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Citrin Black F13 Vert

The M6 and the M5 are completely two different cars though. Perhaps think about what it is you want in a car before proceeding with your research otherwise it may become more of a daunting task
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
BigHat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
When driving the M6, did you use the M1 or M2 buttons?

That changes the car into a beast (at least the M2 does). The steering, suspension, gearing, noise changes onto a different level compared to just tootling along in std. config. It's a night and day (or Jekyll and Hyde) difference.

In std. settings the M6 is smooth and comfy and soft. In M2 mode it becomes a beast!

If you didn't try M2 mode I suggest you take it for another spin...
M1 and M2 buttons are programmable short cuts and nothing more. There's nothing special they do that you can't select yourself by making adjustments to the car's systems. They are not automatically more aggressive. Pressing the M2 button can result in the most docile settings the car can have -- if it's set up that way. I doubt anyone would disable DSC for a test drive on the street (bad idea anyway). He was happy with the ride and steering and didn't mention an issue that would indicate a mellow shift program was selected.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
M1 and M2 buttons are programmable short cuts and nothing more. There's nothing special they do that you can't select yourself by making adjustments to the car's systems. They are not automatically more aggressive. Pressing the M2 button can result in the most docile settings the car can have -- if it's set up that way. I doubt anyone would disable DSC for a test drive on the street (bad idea anyway). He was happy with the ride and steering and didn't mention an issue that would indicate a mellow shift program was selected.
He mentioned lag, and the preprogrammed settings for M2 (in the car I drove at least) gave a completely different throttle response and changed the feel of the car totally. The DSG shifts fast in comfort mode as well (so fast that you would not suspect there was anything mellow about it), but it is much quicker/harder in M2.

I know you can select the same settings via umpteen different choices through I-drive. The M1 and M2 buttons are BMWs preset choices for M drive. You can programme the M1 and M2 buttons with your individual settings as well.

But the factory setting for M2 completely transformed the car IMHO (in a way that no other M I've driven has done). For instance the throttle response in M2 was so instant that it was nearly impossible to drive at a steady pace in 1st and 2nd gear...

I was just trying to be helpful and point out that the cars behavious ("chill factor") depends on the settings you choose. I know many other that have tried the M5/M6 and just driven them in the std/comfort settings because they didn't know about the M1/M2 buttons (and didn't have enough time to start fiddling with I-drive).
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Stonehands
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed BMW Viscous View Post
I do really enjoy the 911 C2s but after an extensive drive for over 2 hours, the excitement wore out as did my butt. Fortunately, i did not have to purchase the 911 because it could have cost me dearly in depreciation. I know have a moment to see that benifits from the M6 and still possibly the M5. Turning my research towards the M6 and will look forward to the spacious and comfortable cabin until Dr Jeckly wants to play...

Still bleeding BMW viscous...
The 911CS was the recently revised one. Bigger than the previous model (important as I am 6'2" at 215). It is the same essential body for the past 60 years. It is dated. It was incredibly loud which would be very annoying over time. Yes, it drives amazing. So does a go kart which it reminds me of. I especially liked the fire extinguisher fastened under my legs. Saw that in a old 914. I have never had to use a fire extinguisher in over 35 years of driving (spirited like). In short, impractical, for the track, dated.

My F13, elegant, understated, luxurious, well appointed and....well a beast. I am very pleased and in my zone. My other consideration was the Merc SL 550 (AMG overpriced). I will look back into that after I am in my 60's.

I am a BMW driver. I have seen a lot of members talk about Audis, Mercs, Porsches, Jags, Astin Martins, etc. They talk alot. Most stop talking after they actually drive a BMW. They just drive. Don't see alot of their comments after that accept that they took delivery of their BMW M... For what its worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
barclay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 540ix

I owned the previous generation 911 and now have a 2013 M6. See the M6 as a comfortable and sports oriented, crazy fast luxury car...something like a SL63 with a small back seat...I drove the new 911 and found the ride pretty harsh for my 46 mile round trip commute on the pretty bad roads we have here. The 911's ride and interior noise made it not for me. These are different cars and my 40 something ass was looking for a little more comfort than a 911 offers.
All the auto magazines rave about the 911 that they test in Spain or on dreamy CA roads. They do not live with these cars day to day where the roads are in bad shape. My 2 cents.
Appreciate 0