BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #67
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
In terms of "road presence" the GC stays near Panamera, CLS and A7 are a class lower
That means the GC is as ugly as the abomination of a design, panamera? BMW wants you to believe its a higher class vehicle then the class inventor CLS, and the Audi. All it is , is an over-priced, stretched, 5 series. BMW is not what it once was.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #68
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceking4u View Post
Go try and build a S7 on audiusa.com you'll see the car tested here is loaded for the price you see of roughly $85-87k
You are right, the Mercedes fully loaded is about 20k above base, that is still a good amount cheaper than the GC fully loaded.

I don't regret my GC purchase at all, I love the design, luxury and technology. But there is no doubt that the other two cars are priced much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #69
aceking4u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi & BMW

Like someone mentioned....This 6 series gran coupe is targeting people who "really' wants a 6 series gran coupe. I can't see how people who cross shop can pick the 6 GC. Unless, BMW gives a hell of a lease deal. Usually MB will have better lease deals. Although I would place the CLS last...you'll probably see the CLS more than any other car on the road. Everyone from your soccer mom and trophy wife will be driving one.
      01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #70
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
You are right, the Mercedes fully loaded is about 20k above base, that is still a good amount cheaper than the GC fully loaded.

I don't regret my GC purchase at all, I love the design, luxury and technology. But there is no doubt that the other two cars are priced much better.
So do I. It is like comparing people purchasing Tag Heuer Carrera watch and people purchasing Tag Heuer Grand Carrera watch. They are great watches, and they do exactly the same thing, but 1 is $2-3k more. In fact, Carrera watch chrono feature performs better than Grand Carrera model. However, Grand Carrera gives you exclusivity with unique design.

There is market for everything even that crazy looking Pontiac Aztek.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #71
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
at 115k vs 85k? better be in 1st place. i'd take either S7 or CLS 550. if it was the AMG, i'll take AMG though.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #72
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

"Forget this Gran Coupe nonsense -- just call this thing the 5 Series and let the current car quietly fade from memory."

The Gran Coupe costs $115,000 and that is a completely asinine comment.
      01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #73
nal13
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 xcomp/911 cab/RR LWB

Garage List
B  [0.00]
When the RS-7 hits the streets later this year it will likely be cheaper then the tested 650 GC with a 0-60 time estmiated in the low 3s and a 1/4 time in the 11 range. If your in the market to spend 6 figures, it will be the no brainer answer to a question no one really ever asked.

115 K will buy you a M5, M6, S8, CLS 63, 911 C4S, Panamera GTS, Audi R8, Audi S8. All of these cars are special machines outiftted by AMG, quattro GmBh, BMW motorsports, or simply porsche. 115K, Epic fail by BMW. However some middle aged balding executive who thinks Scaglietti is an italian dish will buy this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #74
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nal13 View Post
When the RS-7 hits the streets later this year it will likely be cheaper then the tested 650 GC with a 0-60 time estmiated in the low 3s and a 1/4 time in the 11 range. If your in the market to spend 6 figures, it will be the no brainer answer to a question no one really ever asked.

115 K will buy you a M5, M6, S8, CLS 63, 911 C4S, Panamera GTS, Audi R8, Audi S8. All of these cars are special machines outiftted by AMG, quattro GmBh, BMW motorsports, or simply porsche. 115K, Epic fail by BMW. However some middle aged balding executive who thinks Scaglietti is an italian dish will buy this car.
Agree. It's a beautiful car but I think it costs $30,000 more than it should.
      01-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #75
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport_cat View Post
why the hell would audi say that the s7 hits 60 in under 5 seconds? its under 4...
Well, less than 4 is less than 5. It's not like they are wrong. LOL

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #76
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceking4u View Post
Like someone mentioned....This 6 series gran coupe is targeting people who "really' wants a 6 series gran coupe. I can't see how people who cross shop can pick the 6 GC. Unless, BMW gives a hell of a lease deal. Usually MB will have better lease deals. Although I would place the CLS last...you'll probably see the CLS more than any other car on the road. Everyone from your soccer mom and trophy wife will be driving one.
Actually I cross shopped between these cars (plus the XJ) and ended up with the GC, for the following reasons:

1) We used to run a few cars as a family, allowing me to have a 2 seater sports car plus a saloon for practicality, plus a hatch. But we've been driving less and less, we all spend alot of time out of the country, moved right next to a town centre to make our lives easier getting in and out of work, etc. Thats culminated in us barely requiring two cars, let alone three and only putting 5/6k miles on those two aswell.

2) I fall smack bang within the target market for the 4 door "coupe" sector. I need some of the practicality of a saloon, but am able to forego a fully practical saloon in exchange for aesthetics. I still want a car that makes me want to turn back and take a second look at it, that makes me smile when I walk out of the door in the morning, that I haven't become numb to due to over exposure. I live in London and unfortunately a 5/E class/etc all fall within that last bracket, bolting on some M/AMG/S paraphernalia doesn't change that.

3) In the UK the MSRP has little or no bearing on what you pay for a car. Buy it cash and there are almost always significant discounts available. Buy on lease and manufacturers often have incentives meaning the MSRP can often bare little relation to your payments. Buy as a company car and the emissions of the vehicle can vastly out weigh the MSRP when calculating what the car will cost you. In all there was about 10-15% between the cars (640d M sport GC, A7 BiTurbo Diesel, CLS Diesel sport, XJ 3.0 Diesel portfolio), less if you factor their prices when they were year 1 models (the GC still holds a slight premium as its barely 6 month old model in the UK).

4) Factor in depreciation (the biggest hit if you're not buying on finance), insurance, taxes, etc and that price differential becomes less and less significant. This is not the budget sector, i'm already paying a hefty premium over the saloon equivalent for aesthetics, something different, something I wont find around every corner, in every car park, etc. Therefore 10% or even 20% is not going to make one suddenly think "damn I prefer the GC, or Panamera, but its more expensive so I'll take the car I don't like quite as much". Being in the market for these cars already means you've made the decision to compromise on value, if not you'd be in the market for the saloon equivalents.

So why did I pick the GC from the bunch:

1) Aesthetics, inside and out it was the one we all preferred.
2) It and the XJ were the best drives (I prefer RWD generally, Audi is FWD or 4WD only).
3) Family insisted on 5 seats. That ruled the CLS out. The GC just squeezed in, as we'd rarely need the 5th seat, so the compromised 5th seat was tolerable. The fact everyone preferred it anyway also helped .
4) The XJ just felt a little old for us (we're in our mid 30's). I was also hesitant to pick it over the German trio, despite Jaguars reputation having improved significantly since the XF.
5) Both the CLS and Audi are likely to be more common in the UK. There is a far bigger spread in pricing across the ranges of the two cars. For example the 2.8l FWD SE A7 is priced in 3 Series territory. I'm already starting to see them more regularly then I'd expected. If you refer back to point 2 at the beginning of my now long post you'll see that somewhat defeats the purpose for which I'm paying a premium to begin with

The difference in price simply wasn't a major factor. I've already reconciled myself to taking a massive kicking in depreciation and paying more over the saloon equivalent. I would imagine anyone else seriously in the market at this price level would have done the same. You're going to buy based on what you like, not 10-15% price difference either way, particularly for niche models like 4 door "coupes".

P.S. "coupes" is in quotes as despite what manufacturers tell us, they are not "coupes" :/

Last edited by Mentos; 01-29-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #77
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentos View Post
Actually I cross shopped between these cars (plus the XJ) and ended up with the GC, for the following reasons:

1) We used to run a few cars as a family, allowing me to have a 2 seater sports car plus a saloon for practicality, plus a hatch. But we've been driving less and less, we all spend alot of time out of the country, moved right next to a town centre to make our lives easier getting in and out of work, etc. Thats culminated in us barely requiring two cars, let alone three and only putting 5/6k miles on those two aswell.

2) I fall smack bang within the target market for the 4 door "coupe" sector. I need some of the practicality of a saloon, but am able to forego a fully practical saloon in exchange for aesthetics. I still want a car that makes me want to turn back and take a second look at it, that makes me smile when I walk out of the door in the morning, that I haven't become numb to due to over exposure. I live in London and unfortunately a 5/E class/etc all fall within that last bracket, bolting on some M/AMG/S paraphernalia doesn't change that.

3) In the UK the MSRP has little or no bearing on what you pay for a car. Buy it cash and there are almost always significant discounts available. Buy on lease and manufacturers often have incentives meaning the MSRP can often bare little relation to your payments. Buy as a company car and the emissions of the vehicle can vastly out weigh the MSRP when calculating what the car will cost you. In all there was about 10-15% between the cars (640d M sport GC, A7 BiTurbo Diesel, CLS Diesel sport, XJ 3.0 Diesel portfolio), less if you factor their prices when they were year 1 models (the GC still holds a slight premium as its barely 6 month old model in the UK).

4) Factor in depreciation (the biggest hit if you're not buying on finance), insurance, taxes, etc and that price differential becomes less and less significant. This is not the budget sector, i'm already paying a hefty premium over the saloon equivalent for aesthetics, something different, something I wont find around every corner, in every car park, etc. Therefore 10% or even 20% is not going to make one suddenly think "damn I prefer the GC, or Panamera, but its more expensive so I'll take the car I don't like quite as much". Being in the market for these cars already means you've made the decision to compromise on value, if not you'd be in the market for the saloon equivalents.

So why did I pick the GC from the bunch:

1) Aesthetics, inside and out it was the one we all preferred.
2) It and the XJ were the best drives (I prefer RWD generally, Audi is FWD or 4WD only).
3) Family insisted on 5 seats. That ruled the CLS out. The GC just squeezed in, as we'd rarely need the 5th seat, so the compromised 5th seat was tolerable. The fact everyone preferred it anyway also helped .
4) The XJ just felt a little old for us (we're in our mid 30's). I was also hesitant to pick it over the German trio, despite Jaguars reputation having improved significantly since the XF.
5) Both the CLS and Audi are likely to be more common in the UK. There is a far bigger spread in pricing across the ranges of the two cars. For example the 2.8l FWD SE A7 is priced in 3 Series territory. I'm already starting to see them more regularly then I'd expected. If you refer back to point 2 at the beginning of my now long post you'll see that somewhat defeats the purpose for which I'm paying a premium to begin with

The difference in price simply wasn't a major factor. I've already reconciled myself to taking a massive kicking in depreciation and paying more over the saloon equivalent. I would imagine anyone else seriously in the market at this price level would have done the same. You're going to buy based on what you like, not 10-15% price difference either way, particularly for niche models like 4 door "coupes".

P.S. "coupes" is in quotes as despite what manufacturers tell us, they are not "coupes" :/
I could not have written it better. The same exact reason for buying GC.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #78
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer78 View Post
I could not have written it better. The same exact reason for buying GC.
Thanks, its always nice to know I'm not the only one with this reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #79
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
I haven't read the article yet, but if you look at the numbers on the first page of this thread. The base price is $10,000-$15,000 more on the GC. Not sure why the GC they tested is $24,000 more than base compared to about $5500 above base for the others.

The GC they tested is pretty loaded, while the Mercedes must not have much options at all on it.
I checked the MB and A7 website. Loaded out, neither of those cars will hit $100K, let alone $115K. BMW execs have just lost their minds as goes the pricing of the 6 series, and that's about all there is to it.

I get that a 6 is basically a 5 with with two doors, or in the case of the 6GC, a swoopier design with nonetheless unusable rear seats. I get that BMW charge more for their coupes than for their sedans. But it's downright insulting to ask a typical person -- i.e., someone who doesn't "just have to have a 6GC" -- would pick the 6GC over the CLS, A7 or even a fully loaded out 550i, when all those vehicles offer a better price point and aren't any less good cars than the 6GC.

Were I BMW, given where the pricing is landing, I would have made the rear seats usable by normal adults, gussied up the interior a bit more, and called the current 6 models 8s, positioning them to compete with Maserati, Aston, and the Panamera. In that league, BMW should have a market lock as their cars are certainly more dependable and durable than Astons and Maseratis, to say nothing of there being a larger support network for them.

I say these things as someone who was going to buy a 6GC when it was first shown prior to its official release. Though I didn't like that the rear seat was so cramped, I was planning to get it as the replacement for my E92, so the lack of rear space wasn't that big a deal. I even didn't mind paying a tidy sum for a car I'd use as a daily driver, and I figured I'd be getting a 640, until I found that I can't get a 640 with all wheel drive, which for all intents and purposes would push me to spend $100K give or take. That's quite a lot of money to spend on a car, and it should cause most anyone, aside from Bill Gates and his ilk, to think about how much one really wants that car over all others for its intended purpose.

As things stand now, even being able to afford it, I'd be embarrassed to face the fact that I wanted a curve and a swoop enough to pay that much of a premium for them and not have got any number of alternatives. The fact is that most anyone who can spend $115K on a car also can spend $150K on one, and there are many beautiful cars at that price point. I think the 6GC is beautiful, but I don't know that I think it's more beautiful than the other choices in that price range.

Accordingly, I'm waiting to see what I think of the new 4er that's soon to come out. From what I've seen it's quite handsome. I hardly think I need the exclusivity or added luxury of the 6 when I'm running errands to the grocery store or to go shopping, or any other time for that matter. The 6GC is even harder to rationalize when I think about it being unable to replace my 5er due to the lack of rear seat space. So for my money, it's either going to be a 4er or a 6er coupe, or a non-BMW, both of which I can surely get for my expected budget of $80K give or take. It almost certainly won't be the the 6GC. Oddly enough, the deciding factor will be the usability of the rear seats. With any luck at all, the rear seats of the 4er will, like those of my E92, will be suitable for normal adults. We'll see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 01-29-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #80
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I checked the MB and A7 website. Loaded out, neither of those cars will hit $100K, let alone $115K. BMW execs have just lost their minds as goes the pricing of the 6 series, and that's about all there is to it.
And this is not new, either. I like 6 series and always have, but I can't believe the price premium they charge over the 5 series.

Then - take a look at the values after two or three model years between 5 and 6 models. They start to converge. A 2010 CPO off-lease 6 and a 2010 off-lease 5 are both going around the high $40s.
      01-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #81
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Are you referring to the 5 th seat in the GC? Because the other two are far from cramped in my experience. In fact during the process of elimination while deciding on a car I took my 6'1" brother to test all the cars. He sat behind me in all of them and had no issues with comfort in the rear. Aside from the 5th seat all my passengers have only had positive comments about comfort in the rear. And these are people that have never been shy about moaning about my penchant for coupes or sports cars with compromised cabins. And their own cars are 5 series, XFs, etc so they have the experience to judge it against standard saloons.

Of course proportions are important as much as height. If you have a particularly long torso, a car with a swooping roofline is obviously not going to work for you. But then you wouldn't be in the market for any of these cars, you're forced to go another way.

As for aesthetics, beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder. But they are all still cars, with similar proportions and four wheels. I'm not sure what more you'd expect from a car in this segment with this level of practicality to pick it over a bog standard saloon. There are obviously certain physical limitations that restrict design changes to a "curve and a swoop" as you put it.

WRT value again it depends on ones perspective. If I'd opted for a 5 series of equivelant spec I'm likely looking at a £30k loss over 3/4 years, with this car a £40k loss (this is using the baloon payments I was quoted to gauge value after 3/4 years against the best purchase price I was offered for cars to my spec, I actually didn't take finance). Whichever car I chose it was going to cost me a hefty chunk in depreciation, I'd rather at least have the car I really wanted. If value really drove my decision I wouldn't have ticked any options and certainly wouldn't have been looking at the 40d/35d engines. In fact I wouldn't have bought a premium car or a new one :/

Last edited by Mentos; 01-29-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #82
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

A full load CLS550 isn't as much expensive over a loaded E550. I don't get how a 650GC is $20k over a full load 550xi. Doesn't make sense to me. However I think the look of the 6GC is fantastic and it sure looks/feels expensive (it is expensive unless you are someone thinking $20k is pocket change). Like many others mentioned, I'll take the M5 instead and m5 is a great looking car too.
      01-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #83
BMWMilan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
A full load CLS550 isn't as much expensive over a loaded E550. I don't get how a 650GC is $20k over a full load 550xi. Doesn't make sense to me. However I think the look of the 6GC is fantastic and it sure looks/feels expensive (it is expensive unless you are someone thinking $20k is pocket change). Like many others mentioned, I'll take the M5 instead and m5 is a great looking car too.
I don't know.

Compared to the 650GC the M5 sort of looks like a Honda Accord.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #84
neversummer78
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think we all should be happy BMW wins. I thought we are all BMW enthusiasts after all.

6 series are way better looking in sheet metal than photos. I never take it seriously until I saw it in person, then I realize that this is something very special. And, that was after tested the other 2 cars.

It is unfair to judge this car through photos and numbers.

CNET On Cars: Top cars of 2012 holiday special

Starting when Brian Cooley speaks about 640i GC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...y-sCcg#t=1780s
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #85
Mentos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
They would have had to make it a 5GC to price it closer to the 5. Otherwise it leaves the 6 coupe in no mans land. As with any car MSRP is irrelevant, the market will dictate its true price, like most cars in the UK there are discounts available.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #86
EmMHoLLa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6GC

Looks like the major annoyance if I can call it that... Is the MSRP on the 6GC... Although Valid points have been made the only way to get BMW to change is simply not to buy the GC... But most of the people who are in the market for one probably would not choose the A7 or the CLS 550 over a 6GC especially the folks that post here on this forum lets not kid ourselves... The S7 and the CLS 63 AMG should be compared to the M6 GC...

I actually went on a test drive of the CLS 550 last night and it was for lack of a better description underwhelming... A buddy of mine is in the market for a new car and he didn't like it nor did I.. After sitting in a CLS and then jumping back into my 6er the difference is apparent..

Which leads me back to my original point and the obvious.. Being that we are all posting on a bimmer forum.. If price was removed from the equation I am willing to bet that 90% of us would get the GC over any of the offerings from Competing auto makers.. The only cars that I would even consider over a 6GC or an M6 GC for that matter in the 4 door coupe market would be the Panamera S, 4S, GTS, or the CLS 63... Outside of that give me the 6er everyday all day.

Lastly if you are leasing the car. Lease rates are pretty comparable if not better than the CLS and the Audi.. Especially toward the end of the year.. So for me MSRP is only a piece of the pie when considering one of these cars over the other...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #87
aceking4u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa View Post
Looks like the major annoyance if I can call it that... Is the MSRP on the 6GC... Although Valid points have been made the only way to get BMW to change is simply not to buy the GC... But most of the people who are in the market for one probably would not choose the A7 or the CLS 550 over a 6GC especially the folks that post here on this forum lets not kid ourselves... The S7 and the CLS 63 AMG should be compared to the M6 GC...

I actually went on a test drive of the CLS 550 last night and it was for lack of a better description underwhelming... A buddy of mine is in the market for a new car and he didn't like it nor did I.. After sitting in a CLS and then jumping back into my 6er the difference is apparent..

Which leads me back to my original point and the obvious.. Being that we are all posting on a bimmer forum.. If price was removed from the equation I am willing to bet that 90% of us would get the GC over any of the offerings from Competing auto makers.. The only cars that I would even consider over a 6GC or an M6 GC for that matter in the 4 door coupe market would be the Panamera S, 4S, GTS, or the CLS 63... Outside of that give me the 6er everyday all day.

Lastly if you are leasing the car. Lease rates are pretty comparable if not better than the CLS and the Audi.. Especially toward the end of the year.. So for me MSRP is only a piece of the pie when considering one of these cars over the other...
If price was removed...would you get an RS7? I'm pretty sure the RS7 is going to be in the neighborhood of $115k loaded. BMW is going to be forced to charge $135k for their M6 GC
      01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #88
Tattedtwice
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 doors, 4 wheels

Aww, what happen audi, your check to m/t get lost in the mail? Lol
This is what happens when you let a mag other than c&d test your overrated cars, suddenly theyre no longer 1st place, which they never shouldve been in ANY comparo.
Appreciate 0