BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

08-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
jschottenfeld
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '05 645cic

Diff between sport switch and gear selector

What's the difference between moving the gear selector to the left vs changing the switch to Sport mode?
Does the switch also change throttle response and suspension whereas moving the gear selector to the left only raise shift points?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschottenfeld View Post
What's the difference between moving the gear selector to the left vs changing the switch to Sport mode?
Does the switch also change throttle response and suspension whereas moving the gear selector to the left only raise shift points?
Thanks
You can customise the sport settings with the switch - chassis only, drivetrain only or both, whereas moving the gear lever just alters the shift points.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
jschottenfeld
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '05 645cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Quote:
Thanks
You can customise the sport settings with the switch - chassis only, drivetrain only or both, whereas moving the gear lever just alters the shift points.
So the switch has nothing to do with steering or throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
So the switch has nothing to do with steering or throttle response?
That is correct. Compare throttle response and steering weight and suspension feel between just sliding shifter to right versus using switch to out it in sport mode. Major difference. Confirmed it on the ride home tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

It depends on whether or not you have AD including VDC. Both of these make a huge difference, the former by stiffening the front and rear roll bars by an adjustable coupling and the latter by altering the damper rate and stiffness.
I have my sport switch set to 'chassis only' which firms up the roll bars and dampers and quickens the steering, sport+ does the rest.
Amazing how it completely changes the car from super soft and bump absorbing in 'comfort +' to super responsive steering and virtually no body roll through fast corners in 'sport+'.
It's my most used and favourite option on the car
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
Spinner6996
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8 Pure Impulse

Not to sound confused...but I am. Someone please run this by me one more time. I understand that the switch to "sport" can be configured in both chassis and drivetrain and popping the gear lever to the left has no effect on chassis. But as I am driving along both the sport config and the stick to the left move will increase my throttle response and immediately raise my RPM's. So my question is do both of those moves have the same effect on throttle response and shift points or does the lever to the left only affect the shift points?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner6996 View Post
Not to sound confused...but I am. Someone please run this by me one more time. I understand that the switch to "sport" can be configured in both chassis and drivetrain and popping the gear lever to the left has no effect on chassis. But as I am driving along both the sport config and the stick to the left move will increase my throttle response and immediately raise my RPM's. So my question is do both of those moves have the same effect on throttle response and shift points or does the lever to the left only affect the shift points?
shift point only. Compare the throttle response for yourself. its easy to discern.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

In short, moving the shifter to the left is a subset of what happens when you just click the dynamic drive selector to Sport. My car has adaptive drive, so clicking to Sport will also adjust the suspension stiffness and behavior. Most of the time this is the desired behavior that should go hand-in-hand with sportier transmission behavior, hence pressing only the Sport button will do both. However, in some rare cases, I only want the transmission to be a bit more perky - just pushing the shifter to the left accomplishes this while still leaving the suspension in its comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 07:49 AM   #9
Spinner6996
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8 Pure Impulse

Thanks...got it!
Appreciate 0