BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
poloka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540xi

2015 650xi MSport

I too have been lurking around these forums and would like to introduce myself and my new Gran Coupe as of this past November. The shot attached was the best I have for now with the crap weather in the Midwest. Looking to do a few minor mods but this machine is a beast as is! Looking at exhaust and wheel options.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

Congrats on the beautiful new car!! Take a look at Burger Tuning for performance, really brings this car to life! Also coding to activate launch control, your car is equipped with it but it is not activated. That along with the N63TU JB from Burger and you are going to have some fun with that AWD!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
poloka
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit
Congrats on the beautiful new car!! Take a look at Burger Tuning for performance, really brings this car to life! Also coding to activate launch control, your car is equipped with it but it is not activated. That along with the N63TU JB from Burger and you are going to have some fun with that AWD!
Thanks Downfourit. Interesting enough not sure if production line or what but I have some extra coding like I do see the PSI and have launch control. I'll take a look at Burger. A 10-15% increase in HP and 20% torque would be crazy. I take it tunes like this void warranties. Or does Burger guarantee their work and the engine like Roush does for their Mustang?

Previously owned:
2015 650xi Gran Coupe MSport
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

No, BMS is not Dinan so they don't support your vehicle warranty but it is a fraction of the cost of those competitors and it takes 10 minutes to install/remove and is undetectable once it's gone. People have put down up to 491whp up from about 405-410 stock and over 530wtq, it makes a huge difference in regards to the performance of the car. Def worth every penny!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I agree about a tune for your car as it really wakes the car up and you'll enjoy the added hp/torque. I did the Dinan Stage 1 and Intercoolers on mine and am very happy with the work and results. Also added an Eissenman Race which now give the car a nice sound to match the tune. Also added cross drilled rotors and a few CF bits too as mods.

However be careful on those that say a tune is NOT detectable. That is false. I've talked to quite a few friends who are Service and Sales Mgrs at both Audi/BMW and also Porsche and there are ways that they can detect a tuned car when its hooked up to their computer/calibration machines and testers. For example recently tuned my wife's Q5 with an APR tune and had another unrelated issue and my dealer immediately could tell it was tuned when the car was hooked up and scanned and this was without me saying a word. Same with BMW. Suspect Porsche also. Just because you can REMOVE it doesn't mean they cannot detect the tune as traces of the flash are written to the car where you cannot see but the manufacturer can. So if you did have an issue they would likely know. Not saying it would automatically cause them to reject it but that was what my Audi service mgr said initially when they found the tune and this is from a guy who just bought an new S3 and was modding it himself to include and APR tune in a few weeks. So that said I went with Dinan for the added safety and security of their warranty which is at least 4yr/50k equivalent. Dinan has deeper pockets as well and thus can handle a new engine versus other manufacturers so on a $105k+ car well sometimes you got to pay to play.

Here's mine...
Attached Images

'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
poloka
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13
I agree about a tune for your car as it really wakes the car up and you'll enjoy the added hp/torque. I did the Dinan Stage 1 and Intercoolers on mine and am very happy with the work and results. Also added an Eissenman Race which now give the car a nice sound to match the tune. Also added cross drilled rotors and a few CF bits too as mods.

However be careful on those that say a tune is NOT detectable. That is false. I've talked to quite a few friends who are Service and Sales Mgrs at both Audi/BMW and also Porsche and there are ways that they can detect a tuned car when its hooked up to their computer/calibration machines and testers. For example recently tuned my wife's Q5 with an APR tune and had another unrelated issue and my dealer immediately could tell it was tuned when the car was hooked up and scanned and this was without me saying a word. Same with BMW. Suspect Porsche also. Just because you can REMOVE it doesn't mean they cannot detect the tune as traces of the flash are written to the car where you cannot see but the manufacturer can. So if you did have an issue they would likely know. Not saying it would automatically cause them to reject it but that was what my Audi service mgr said initially when they found the tune and this is from a guy who just bought an new S3 and was modding it himself to include and APR tune in a few weeks. So that said I went with Dinan for the added safety and security of their warranty which is at least 4yr/50k equivalent. Dinan has deeper pockets as well and thus can handle a new engine versus other manufacturers so on a $105k+ car well sometimes you got to pay to play.

Here's mine...
Thanks man! I'm along the same thought as the Dinan for warranty. Was looking at the inter cooler setup. Really tell the difference? Especially want stuff under warranty after I had a very unexpected issue today. Just under 3000 miles and crank up and the car shakes violently. Drivetrain malfunction. Took it straight to the dealer!
Attached Images

Previously owned:
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #7
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Congrats! Looking good
      01-15-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

MDrobc, you would be correct in what you said about a flash tune being detectable, A piggyback interceptor once removed is not. There is a difference, although you cannot control as many perimeters with a piggy back as you can with a flash the dyno and track results speak for themselves and I personally prefer them because once you remove them, no one ever knew they were there. What I don't like about Dinan and hopefully you never encounter the on going issue with their warranty department is once you install their piggyback and parts, if something goes wrong they will first blame you, then a BMW part that is not covered by them, and then finally after Albert Einstein comes back from the grave and shows them that it was their parts fault to cause the issue they will repair it under warranty, saying it's like pulling teeth would be an understatement. That is why i prefer the undetectable method.

Beautiful car by the way!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
poloka
Private First Class
Rep

Update to my issue. Technicians determined the engine requires replacement of the vanos solenoid. Not too happy to break open a factory engine after only 3000 miles.

Previously owned:
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
Update to my issue. Technicians determined the engine requires replacement of the vanos solenoid. Not too happy to break open a factory engine after only 3000 miles.
I don't think they crack open the engine to do that. Actually I think if the engine requires cracking open (heads removed), they send you a new one

All will be fine.

I hope
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #11
poloka
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
Quote:
I don't think they crack open the engine to do that. Actually I think if the engine requires cracking open (heads removed), they send you a new one

All will be fine.

I hope
Did a bit more research. The solenoids are on the front of the block so easily removed without opening up the engine. Whew... My dealer has seen now 4 instances of this happening but mine was by far the earliest in miles. I asked if it was my driving that it could cause the problem and I was instructed to drive it hard sometimes. The tech said these cars are made for speed and our city driving is actually reducing the lifespan of the engine. Not sure I agree. I believe treat the car good and it will return the favor.

Previously owned:
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #12
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Thanks man! I'm along the same thought as the Dinan for warranty. Was looking at the inter cooler setup. Really tell the difference? Especially want stuff under warranty after I had a very unexpected issue today. Just under 3000 miles and crank up and the car shakes violently. Drivetrain malfunction. Took it straight to the dealer!
Sorry to hear it man. Hope they get it sorted. As for the Intercoolers...it shows up only if you have the full set up w/ECU/exhaust/and Intercoolers. Definitely is a difference felt though when driving the car from a hp/torque standpoint. Outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
MDrobc, you would be correct in what you said about a flash tune being detectable, A piggyback interceptor once removed is not. There is a difference, although you cannot control as many perimeters with a piggy back as you can with a flash the dyno and track results speak for themselves and I personally prefer them because once you remove them, no one ever knew they were there. What I don't like about Dinan and hopefully you never encounter the on going issue with their warranty department is once you install their piggyback and parts, if something goes wrong they will first blame you, then a BMW part that is not covered by them, and then finally after Albert Einstein comes back from the grave and shows them that it was their parts fault to cause the issue they will repair it under warranty, saying it's like pulling teeth would be an understatement. That is why i prefer the undetectable method.

Beautiful car by the way!
Thanks man. Hope that it works out that well..so far so good. After having Dinan previously on a few of my cars and then again on my 550i and now my 650ix so far so good. My dealership did all of them and is pretty stand up with my cars so I think all should be good if anything happens. Hope Dinan too but I've heard a handful of folks who've had problems w/Dinan only.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0