BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

BMS vs Dinan D tronics Tuning for M6

Does anyone has experience with the new D-tronics stage 1 from Dinan?
I know it's 3500 dlls vs 500 dlls for the BMS. I haven't heard about anyone's feedback

http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1172/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://dinancars.com...&mid=1172/</a>
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep

Link

Sorry, here is the complete link..
DINANTRONICS™ Performance Tuner Stage 1 for BMW F12 F13 M6 F06 M6 Gran Coupe (S63TU) - Dinan, Leader in BMW Performance Parts and Upgrades : http://dinancars.com/product/d440-16...ries&mid=1172/
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Apparently the gains on the Dinan do not justify its price.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre
Apparently the gains on the Dinan do not justify its price.
I'm sure it doesn't , I just know it's so knew I haven't heard anyone comment
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
JV973
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS DCT/MPE

My boy's 2015 M6 was the first one to get the Dinan stage 1 about a half a week ago and it wasn't worth it. After getting it done for $3500 and another $500 to get it install the car felt the same, 646hp not even close. We tested it out with one of our friends 2014 M6 Convertible and we had the convertible by two cars at 145-150 mph. After a couple of days he took it back to the shop, they took the Dinan out and refunded the money. Went to this other shop, put the BMS on and it was huge difference compare to the Dinan u could feel it and for the price worth it. He just order the AMS Downpipes from IND and we will see how that goes.

2011 E92 335is AW/CR (Nov 2010 - Nov 2013)
2008 E92 328i JB/BL (Feb 2008 - Nov 2010)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV87 View Post
My boy's 2015 M6 was the first one to get the Dinan stage 1 about a half a week ago and it wasn't worth it. After getting it done for $3500 and another $500 to get it install the car felt the same, 646hp not even close. We tested it out with one of our friends 2014 M6 Convertible and we had the convertible by two cars at 145-150 mph. After a couple of days he took it back to the shop, they took the Dinan out and refunded the money. Went to this other shop, put the BMS on and it was huge difference compare to the Dinan u could feel it and for the price worth it. He just order the AMS Downpipes from IND and we will see how that goes.
I'm going through the forums trying to ascertain any feedback on the new Dinan tunes in general to see what the overall response was before I made my decision once and for all and came across this thread and had to comment...

What was the convertible running? JB4 w/ downpipes or something? You seem to be implying that the convertible was stock vs the Dinan stage 1 non-convertible. The laws of physics say that is an impossibility given the weight difference in the cars. Either that, the Dinan modded started off broken, the Dinan tune somehow subtracted power, or the driver of the Dinan car was incredibly bad (or the other driver was really good is also a possibility).

The one thing I did take away from this though is that a refund was given so at least they are honoring their word on the 3 day return policy I suppose.

Any clarification on the other car would be appreciated regardless.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:00 AM   #7
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelzRage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV87 View Post
I'm going through the forums trying to ascertain any feedback on the new Dinan tunes in general to see what the overall response was before I made my decision once and for all and came across this thread and had to comment...

What was the convertible running? JB4 w/ downpipes or something? You seem to be implying that the convertible was stock vs the Dinan stage 1 non-convertible. The laws of physics say that is an impossibility given the weight difference in the cars. Either that, the Dinan modded started off broken, the Dinan tune somehow subtracted power, or the driver of the Dinan car was incredibly bad (or the other driver was really good is also a possibility).

The one thing I did take away from this though is that a refund was given so at least they are honoring their word on the 3 day return policy I suppose.

Any clarification on the other car would be appreciated regardless.
He said the Dinan pulled two car lengths on the car at around 145. There's no impossibility to this.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
He said the Dinan pulled two car lengths on the car at around 145. There's no impossibility to this.
I read that line as the other way around with the convertible pulling 2 car lengths in front of the dinan vehicle. Hence the impossibility statement. I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #9
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
@Twitch even with the statement of two car lengths ahead still it's impossible
Motor trend guy tested the stock M5. He got 0-60 in 3.7 second and 1/4 mile in 11.9 second @ 120.3 mph. The same guy tested the stock M6 convertible; 0-60 in 3.9 second and 1/4 mile in 12.3 second @ 115.2 mph. So if two cars race, when M6 convertible reaches 1/4 mile, M5 is 0.4 second ahead and even if the driver of M5 keeps the same speed (120.3 mph) in last 0.4 second after he passes the 1/4 mile and does not accelerate, he is about 21 meter (almost 4 car lengths) ahead. In reality M5 keeps accelerating and when M6 reaches 1/4 mile the distance is more than 4 cars. They keep going until M5 reaches 145 mph and the distance between them is getting more and more since M5 has better power/weight ratio and is faster. We know stock M6 coupe is not slower than stock M5 (actually it's a bit faster) so if M6 coupe races the M6 convertible the distance between them at the time M6 coupe reaches 145 is more than 5-6 car! How is it possible a car with Dinan mode to be slower than stock car, unless the convertible is tuned or they had rolling race starting at 60 mph or higher...

These are links to those Motor Trend reports:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyzCeB8jaUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VleiMvdB84s
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
@Twitch even with the statement of two car lengths ahead still it's impossible
Motor trend guy tested the stock M5. He got 0-60 in 3.7 second and 1/4 mile in 11.9 second @ 120.3 mph. The same guy tested the stock M6 convertible; 0-60 in 3.9 second and 1/4 mile in 12.3 second @ 115.2 mph. So if two cars race, when M6 convertible reaches 1/4 mile, M5 is 0.4 second ahead and even if the driver of M5 keeps the same speed (120.3 mph) in last 0.4 second after he passes the 1/4 mile and does not accelerate, he is about 21 meter (almost 4 car lengths) ahead. In reality M5 keeps accelerating and when M6 reaches 1/4 mile the distance is more than 4 cars. They keep going until M5 reaches 145 mph and the distance between them is getting more and more since M5 has better power/weight ratio and is faster. We know stock M6 coupe is not slower than stock M5 (actually it's a bit faster) so if M6 coupe races the M6 convertible the distance between them at the time M6 coupe reaches 145 is more than 5-6 car! How is it possible a car with Dinan mode to be slower than stock car, unless the convertible is tuned or they had rolling race starting at 60 mph or higher...

These are links to those Motor Trend reports:

I understand what you're saying but you're talking about a telemetry test ran by a magazine publication in a controlled environment with a skilled driver vs. the real world result this person achieved. The reality is most of us will not achieve the numbers in that publication with or without the tune in the real world without at least a few runs to dial the car in, not to mention it would be impossible without ideal road conditions. In other words, on on a public road it's most likely the majority of the time we will fall short of the 3.7s 0-60 sprint and the sub 12s 1/4 mile. Consider the possibility that road conditions, driver skill, tire condition, temperature, or weather might have come into effect here. The point the person was trying to make is that two random drivers, one in a car with the Dinan tune, another in the car without one, entered a race. The car with the Dinan won the race, as expected, but the driver did not notice a huge improvement over stock. Here's another reason why there is every possibility this is true, another member here, who is running the BMS tune (which we have already confirmed has better gains than the Dinan) posted a VBox telemetry test in a thread in which even in his tuned coupe, with more power than the Dinan he struggled to achieve the numbers you quoted from the magazine publication for a stock car. Again, this could be due to driver error or road conditions. Also consider that our cars in stock form struggle to transfer all their power to the road, they have traction issues from all the torque and the fact that they are RWD. We have seen huge gains in HP and torque from some tunes, but no tune, not the Dinan or the BMS can guarantee that you'll beat the stock cars performance every time. In fact, given all the torque these tunes add, I'd venture on to saying that with the tune it would be trickier to hit that 3.7s 0-60 mark because the car will light the tires easier.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but you're talking about a telemetry test ran by a magazine publication in a controlled environment with a skilled driver vs. the real world result this person achieved. The reality is most of us will not achieve the numbers in that publication with or without the tune in the real world without at least a few runs to dial the car in, not to mention it would be impossible without ideal road conditions. In other words, on on a public road it's most likely the majority of the time we will fall short of the 3.7s 0-60 sprint and the sub 12s 1/4 mile. Consider the possibility that road conditions, driver skill, tire condition, temperature, or weather might have come into effect here. The point the person was trying to make is that two random drivers, one in a car with the Dinan tune, another in the car without one, entered a race. The car with the Dinan won the race, as expected, but the driver did not notice a huge improvement over stock. Here's another reason why there is every possibility this is true, another member here, who is running the BMS tune (which we have already confirmed has better gains than the Dinan) posted a VBox telemetry test in a thread in which even in his tuned coupe, with more power than the Dinan he struggled to achieve the numbers you quoted from the magazine publication for a stock car. Again, this could be due to driver error or road conditions. Also consider that our cars in stock form struggle to transfer all their power to the road, they have traction issues from all the torque and the fact that they are RWD. We have seen huge gains in HP and torque from the some tunes, but no tune, not the Dinan or the BMS can guarantee that you'll beat the stock cars performance every time. In fact, given all the torque these tunes add I'd venture on to saying that with the tune it would be trickier to hit that 3.7s 0-60 mark because the car will light the tires easier.
I understand your valid points and I agree with you. My points was neither to calculate the accurate numbers nor even the guys who raced. My point was, with the same condition, the same driver (who must have enough skills and motivation not be happy with already 600 hp), the M6 coupe with Dinan tuning is much faster than stock M6 convertible. BTW I'm not fan of tuning M6 since to me (as you said) this powerful RWD car has enough power, torque and traction issue to scare me (and lots of fun) when I mash the gas
Twich I have a question since I think both of us have about 10k on the clock, don't you feel a lot less grip compare to the day first when tires were brand new? with MDM mode enabled, every time I mash the gas, car does side skidding a lot more than months ago, before DSC engages. you have the same feeling?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I understand what you're saying but you're talking about a telemetry test ran by a magazine publication in a controlled environment with a skilled driver vs. the real world result this person achieved. The reality is most of us will not achieve the numbers in that publication with or without the tune in the real world without at least a few runs to dial the car in, not to mention it would be impossible without ideal road conditions. In other words, on on a public road it's most likely the majority of the time we will fall short of the 3.7s 0-60 sprint and the sub 12s 1/4 mile. Consider the possibility that road conditions, driver skill, tire condition, temperature, or weather might have come into effect here. The point the person was trying to make is that two random drivers, one in a car with the Dinan tune, another in the car without one, entered a race. The car with the Dinan won the race, as expected, but the driver did not notice a huge improvement over stock. Here's another reason why there is every possibility this is true, another member here, who is running the BMS tune (which we have already confirmed has better gains than the Dinan) posted a VBox telemetry test in a thread in which even in his tuned coupe, with more power than the Dinan he struggled to achieve the numbers you quoted from the magazine publication for a stock car. Again, this could be due to driver error or road conditions. Also consider that our cars in stock form struggle to transfer all their power to the road, they have traction issues from all the torque and the fact that they are RWD. We have seen huge gains in HP and torque from the some tunes, but no tune, not the Dinan or the BMS can guarantee that you'll beat the stock cars performance every time. In fact, given all the torque these tunes add I'd venture on to saying that with the tune it would be trickier to hit that 3.7s 0-60 mark because the car will light the tires easier.
I understand your valid points and I agree with you. My points was neither to calculate the accurate numbers nor even the guys who raced. My point was, with the same condition, the same driver (who must have enough skills and motivation not be happy with already 600 hp), the M6 coupe with Dinan tuning is much faster than stock M6 convertible. BTW I'm not fan of tuning M6 since to me (as you said) this powerful RWD car has enough power, torque and traction issue to scare me (and lots of fun) when I mash the gas
Twich I have a question since I think both of us have about 10k on the clock, don't you feel a lot less grip compare to the day first when tires were brand new? with MDM mode enabled, every time I mash the gas, car does side skidding a lot more than months ago, before DSC engages. you have the same feeling?
I haven't noticed significant traction loss but I'm at around 9.8k on the original rubber, and I got pulled over (again) 2 weeks ago and was surprised that while the officer was writing me a ridiculous ticket he pointed out that my front tires needed replacing already. I checked and they seem acceptable to me still, the rears are a little on the worn side. Maybe check your tires, make sure they're not too worn. You may have burnt them slick from having too much fun. I remember with heavy acceleration my old V10 M6 would need rear tires every 6-8k miles and that car was relatively torqueless compared to our new cars.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I haven't noticed significant traction loss but I'm at around 9.8k on the original rubber, and I got pulled over (again) 2 weeks ago and was surprised that while the officer was writing me a ridiculous ticket he pointed out that my front tires needed replacing already. I checked and they seem acceptable to me still, the rears are a little on the worn side. Maybe check your tires, make sure they're not too worn. You may have burnt them slick from having too much fun. I remember with heavy acceleration my old V10 M6 would need rear tires every 6-8k miles and that car was relatively torqueless compared to our new cars.
Sorry to hear that you got pulled over again! I got pulled over 11 months ago the day I got my car, almost 2-3 hours after getting the car out of the dealer lot... M6 in this color attracts everybody including cups lol

My front tires are still good (5/32") but my rear tires are almost worn (3/32")...time to get new tires. I don't know if there is any street tire than PSS to have better traction
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to hear that you got pulled over again! I got pulled over 11 months ago the day I got my car, almost 2-3 hours after getting the car out of the dealer lot... M6 in this color attracts everybody including cups lol

My front tires are still good (5/32") but my rear tires are almost worn (3/32")...time to get new tires. I don't know if there is any street tire than PSS to have better traction
I would keep the PSS. Unfortunately with my new wheels I wanted to go super wide on the rears so I had to switch to the Pirellis, but otherwise I would have kept the PSS.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would keep the PSS. Unfortunately with my new wheels I wanted to go super wide on the rears so I had to switch to the Pirellis, but otherwise I would have kept the PSS.
So, are you going to sell your rims?
I know a guy is looking for 343M here:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017863
Thought maybe you are interested
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
I've been considering it. Don't know if I should keep them or not. Some people have told me to keep them so I can sell the ADV1s separately when I sell my car. But it's nice to have the option to sell them just in case and it looks like they sell for more than I expected. Thanks for the link.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have the exact same feeling !
Even I keep checking the tires to make sure I haven't destroyed them yet at 6000 miles.
I drive in south Florida weather were road is HOT! And still have traction issues
My real question is if this tunes for the cars help on higher gears to pull off at highway speeds on lower revs let say 4th gear at 80-90 mph.
Not those all non sense numbers
.3 faster here than rhis and that
I want real life performance delivery no bragging rights of numbers under the hood which is the same as bragging who's dick is bigger.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #18
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroguz
Quote:
Quote:
I have the exact same feeling !
Even I keep checking the tires to make sure I haven't destroyed them yet at 6000 miles.
I drive in south Florida weather were road is HOT! And still have traction issues
My real question is if this tunes for the cars help on higher gears to pull off at highway speeds on lower revs let say 4th gear at 80-90 mph.
Not those all non sense numbers
.3 faster here than rhis and that
I want real life performance delivery no bragging rights of numbers under the hood which is the same as bragging who's dick is bigger.
To be honest I've seen gains as being more significant at the 1/4mile and 1/2mile with these tunes. I have yet to see anyone report a sub 3.7s 0-60 with the tune.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
JV973
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS DCT/MPE

The M6 convertible was stock. We did it at a roll with nothing in front of us and the convertible was there. The Dinan shop say that there was nothing wrong with the tune but there was. Both guys could drive the hell out of these cars. I wish I had a real camera to record to show u guys.
2011 E92 335is AW/CR (Nov 2010 - Nov 2013)
2008 E92 328i JB/BL (Feb 2008 - Nov 2010)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #20
jeroguz
Private First Class
Rep

Btw does anyone knows if the comp package still has the top speed limiter at 155 mph or it's removed with the package?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroguz
Btw does anyone knows if the comp package still has the top speed limiter at 155 mph or it's removed with the package?
Still has it. My car "rubberbands" at around 165-170 (speedo) mph.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #22
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
To be honest I've seen gains as being more significant at the 1/4mile and 1/2mile with these tunes. I have yet to see anyone report a sub 3.7s 0-60 with the tune.
This is exactly what I expect! The traction issue doesn't let M6 go faster than mid 3's from 0-60 mph; however for 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or longer distance the more power/weight ratio helps going faster!... as an example 0-250 km/h for M4 is reported about 22.9 second with power/weight ratio of 0.118. The same speed (0-250 km/h) for M6 Coupe CP is reported 17.4 second (5.5 second faster) with power/weight ratio of 0.137...Both car can go 0-100km/h in 4 second!
Of course these are the numbers collected by professional drivers but the point is that M6 is much faster than M4 in long distance race (and not in 0-60) because of its power/weight ratio
Appreciate 0