BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

01-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #67
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodandEvil View Post
Do you have any idea what you are saying here? You apparently don't recognize yourself as Chinese by saying you are Hong Konger, I don't have a problem with that. However, it is ridiculous and stupid to say Chinese customers are retarded since there are no way for you to prove this and you simply couldn't know all rich people in China. I'm just taking a guess here, you are just ignorant and jealous since you probably couldn't afford a car at this level. And this explains a lot.
+1

But in his/her defense: We all know that Americans sometime feel bad or even scared about China's growing influence on the economy... Now try and imagine if your entire country was being taken over by China. Imagine that Washington suddenly had to report to Beijing. That is what is happening in HK. So when Hong Kongers feel the need to call one billion people retarded it is clearly the result of something other than a couple of decorated headrests... and given the history, I really wish it did not have to be that way.

Anyway, if you cut all the noise and culture away, I think everyone would agree the headrests look nice. Chinese characters are beautiful and it is not something we see everyday on German cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #68
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

It just seems as though we are rewarding the very people who are trying to dominate and take over the world.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #69
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy
It just seems as though we are rewarding the very people who are trying to dominate and take over the world.
Um...that's why you dominate and take over the world, the rewards
      01-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #70
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I think it is 宝马 in China, right? So why do they use the traditional character on the headrests? Are these cars indeed for the HK or TW markets (where they write 馬 instead of 马) ?

EDIT: Just checked the three websites. The horse-edition is only mentioned on the BMW website for CN. Nothing appears on the front pages of the sites for TW or HK...

PRC uses the simplified script so technically speaking, it would be written as 宝马 in all of BMW's official publications on mainland China and as 寶馬 in Hong Kong and Taiwan . I just happen to prefer to use traditional script as my default as that is what i grew up learning & prefer. Same meaning, same words, different standardization (much like American English vs British English, color vs. colour, etc.)
For the purposes of academia or publications on the internet, both are acceptable as representations of the Chinese language.
If a publication is specifically catered to a certain market, then the scripts should be consistent with their national standards (simplified in Mainland China & Singapore / traditional in HK, Taiwan, Macau), although these days you see a lot of both due to much economic & cultural interaction with the Mainland's rise.

Good question as to why Horse is written as 馬 instead of 马. Although the PRC has gone through simplification through language reform, it is still common to use the "old" characters for ceremonial, historical, and decorative purposes (i.e., calligraphy, temples/museums, brand names/logos)
In fact, you'll often find storefronts with signage that is written in traditional characters. A common example of this usage is in a favorite brand of cigarettes on the Mainland, Chunghwa (trad: 中華/simp: 中华).

To wrap it up, given the above factors, its easy to understand why BMW chose to use the traditional character for horse instead of the PRC standard simplified. To evoke cultural and aesthetic significance.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #71
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcornish View Post
I don't see the problem. 30 people get to have a custom headrest and the competition package thrown in... which I would assume saves money compared with adding it on otherwise. Sounds good to me.

I know "Horse Edition" sounds funny but if BMW want to grow and expand in China then a little cultural integration is a fun way to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envyscorpio View Post
Long post and a good one. It's marketed for China, and not USA for a reason lol. Friends on this forum seems to forget about that all along. Horse edition for all market would be a different story.

Would it worked in Taiwan or Hong Kong? Probably not. Lets see what BMW has plans for the year of the cock, dog, and boar (pig) lol. Extra fat and heavy edition in 5 years.

My thoughts exactly. Doing business with China is tricky but as with any type of international business, understanding cultural differences in practices and values is key to successful sales & marketing.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:14 AM   #72
Envyscorpio
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2001 Honda NSX  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
My thoughts exactly. Doing business with China is tricky but as with any type of international business, understanding cultural differences in practices and values is key to successful sales & marketing.
Tell me about it... Never easy to work with the mainland partners especially with collecting money and them keeping their business promises.

Most new money buyers aren't sensible enough to appreciate cars like rest of the world yet. Buying an expensive car to prove they can aren't wrong on this side of the world yet. It's completely normal for BMW to take advantage of it's blooming market in China with symbols and cheesy ideas while it lasts. Carbon edition, tiger edition, dragon edition c'mon!

Come to the think of it, you're right on it does mean something for 寶"馬" in "馬"年. rhymes, but still don't make sense to me at all. I would never buy a premium car here in China. Gasoline sucks anyway.

Last edited by Envyscorpio; 01-20-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #73
Envyscorpio
Private First Class
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2001 Honda NSX  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I think it is 宝马 in China, right? So why do they use the traditional character on the headrests? Are these cars indeed for the HK or TW markets (where they write 馬 instead of 马) ?

EDIT: Just checked the three websites. The horse-edition is only mentioned on the BMW website for CN. Nothing appears on the front pages of the sites for TW or HK...

A lot of Chinese characters derived from mimicking shape of the object its represents. Nothing wrong with simplified characters, I find it easier to write and looks better occasionally. Words like 龜 and that's it lol. Traditional characters looks much better proportioned and still the only choice for high class calligraphy artists. Don't ever waste money on those, if you have to, make sure it's in traditional Chinese

And they are not for Taiwan as far as I am aware. Would need a lot more than 2 more ponies for peeps to pay extra in Taiwan. Things like special color and 50hp are needed to make that work on the close minded islanders. LOL
      01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #74
jbrucebmw
jbrucebmw
Rep
Drives: 09 M5 95 M3 85 M635CSi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
The reactions to this thread clearly shows the difference in markets.

This is just 30 Individual M5's tailored to China in a rather genius way. BMW Marketing knows what they are doing, and those 30 examples will sell out by tomorrow.

BMW is a global brand. They are simply giving China what they want. These special editions sell out (usually) within hours. The people in China will look at those 30 examples as something special.

Different markets, different cultures, different tastes, different reactions.

Special editions fare especially better in China for those reasons. BMW capitalizes on the emotion and reaction of the China market.. and did so especially well with this Horse Edition.
I totally understand the BMW of China taking advantage of the market desires for special editions. The better question is what is the global brand impact of making these editions? Information about these editions disseminates quickly online to global enthusiast groups (like this forum). In the eyes of many enthusiasts this pandering to the market in a non-motorsport related way degrades the brand.

Is it worth it for the global BMW brand?

Maybe it is and we (as Americans and Europeans) just have to face the fact that we're no longer as influential in the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #75
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrucebmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
The reactions to this thread clearly shows the difference in markets.

This is just 30 Individual M5's tailored to China in a rather genius way. BMW Marketing knows what they are doing, and those 30 examples will sell out by tomorrow.

BMW is a global brand. They are simply giving China what they want. These special editions sell out (usually) within hours. The people in China will look at those 30 examples as something special.

Different markets, different cultures, different tastes, different reactions.

Special editions fare especially better in China for those reasons. BMW capitalizes on the emotion and reaction of the China market.. and did so especially well with this Horse Edition.
I totally understand the BMW of China taking advantage of the market desires for special editions. The better question is what is the global brand impact of making these editions? Information about these editions disseminates quickly online to global enthusiast groups (like this forum). In the eyes of many enthusiasts this pandering to the market in a non-motorsport related way degrades the brand.

Is it worth it for the global BMW brand?

Maybe it is and we (as Americans and Europeans) just have to face the fact that we're no longer as influential in the market.
I wouldn't say that it degrades the brand. It's not like China gets a secret tune or performance upgrade.

All they are giving China is thirty individual M5's.

I could spec out an identical car and order it tomorrow. But I wouldn't.. my individual M5 is more unique than that.
      01-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #76
BMWintoxication
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M54

... it's always in traditional font when you write it in writing brush.. (毛笔)

... was the "tiger" edition world wide? or was it just for china too? .. those orange M3s...

personally, i think this is lazy in design and foreigners's idea of marketing a special edition in China. It's just the marketing department handing in their homework to their bosses saying "hey! we did it.."

The true intergration would be making an M5L (long wheel base version) woohoo!!!

I bet they can make 3000 of the M5-L and they'd be selling like hot cakes with a premium over MSRP.

but then.. more ppl would be bashing about that. imagine the publicity it would get here if an M5 L is really made.... haha..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #77
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Can anyone tell me why you are so negative about this? They are making 30 cars, excusively for the Chinese market, which celebrate a big cultural event in China.
Exactly why is that "retarded"?

The ignorance of people will never cease to amaze me...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #78
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
+1

But in his/her defense: We all know that Americans sometime feel bad or even scared about China's growing influence on the economy... Now try and imagine if your entire country was being taken over by China. Imagine that Washington suddenly had to report to Beijing. That is what is happening in HK. So when Hong Kongers feel the need to call one billion people retarded it is clearly the result of something other than a couple of decorated headrests... and given the history, I really wish it did not have to be that way.

Anyway, if you cut all the noise and culture away, I think everyone would agree the headrests look nice. Chinese characters are beautiful and it is not something we see everyday on German cars.
Actually they were handed BACK to china from the british....at least they are under their own ppl...although most ethnic chinese differentiate from "mainland" dirty chinese LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #79
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Last time I checked, BMW is from Germany....whats up with all this "we" from ppl stateside as if BMW was an American car company?! HAHAHA

now, if dodge did it, i guess "we" could complain.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #80
A_
Private
Rep
Drives: M8, G70

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #81
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

It's a cultural thing relax peeps.

More shocking, that boat set a record? Is it the only production car to be tested there. I know it's a fast car, but come on!
      01-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #82
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
LMFAO
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #83
dznutz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M550i

She cant even see over the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #84
Ranjohn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Coupe

Ignorance = Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92660 View Post
what a joke!!! nothing but downhill from here on out
I highly suggest you guys to get some background knowledge before talking. Here's why BMW's horse edition will sell well in China:

1. This year is the year of Horse, it perfectly matches. And by the way, the Chinese put tremendous emphasis on their Zodiac animal and new year fortune.

2. BMW = "Precious Horse" in Han Chinese, which fits the theme again.

3. BMW has a very good reputation in China, so combine the first 3 reasons, I don't think there's any reason to against this idea.

Also, China is the largest luxury goods shopper in the world. A simple M3 in China bears an MSRP of over 200,000 USD. If the M6-Horse edition costs a little more to the Chinese, so what?? It's time for the naggers on this forum to realize the fact that there's never a so-called "Cornelian dilemma", you are just poor.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #85
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

As much as M model weight now, BMW should call all their M models "Buffalo Edition"
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #86
comcorp
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 coupe

china has 1.3bn of population and if just 1% are millionaires then that makes 10 mil people in china whom are millionaires. 30 of these will be selling like pancakes in the china market if 1% of the 10mil are keen in this horse edition of m6.. but granted 2014 is a horse year which comes every 12 years, i expect the limited runs to have more special/better stuff equipped.. than a normal m5/6. good to wait what Ferrari will be offering to the chinese market since their trademark logo is also a horse.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:24 AM   #87
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznutz
She cant even see over the steering wheel
And she drives better than you.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #88
GoodandEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcorp
china has 1.3bn of population and if just 1% are millionaires then that makes 10 mil people in china whom are millionaires. 30 of these will be selling like pancakes in the china market if 1% of the 10mil are keen in this horse edition of m6.. but granted 2014 is a horse year which comes every 12 years, i expect the limited runs to have more special/better stuff equipped.. than a normal m5/6. good to wait what Ferrari will be offering to the chinese market since their trademark logo is also a horse.
At a price level about 2 million or 3 million(M6) RMB, there are many choices(including super cars like R8, SLS, Turbo S)for customers in China.
Appreciate 0