BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

09-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow Latest Video and Photos of BMW M6 Coupe and Convertible Testing at Nurburgring

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Latest Video and Photos of BMW M6 Coupe and Convertible Testing at Nurburgring
COMMENTS
Name:  IMG_0988.jpg
Views: 10262
Size:  484.4 KB

We bring you the latest live look and listen at the upcoming new M6 coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) undergoing some final testing at the Nurburgring. We've also posted below a set of photos from the testing.

Not much camouflage remains, so its general shape and styling is easy to imagine. As for sounds, the M6 sounds quite similar to the F10 M5, owing to sharing the M5's 4.4L 560hp twinpower twin turbo V8 S63Tu engine [specs]. This prototype appears to be testing carbon ceramic brakes, which will be an optional upgrade.

There's no final word on debut and availability of the BMW F12/F13 M6 but we expect BMW to officially unveil the M6 in late 2011/early 2012 with a market launch in 2012.

Be sure to follow all information on the BMW M6 coupe and convertible @ http://www.bimmerpost.com/m6/f12m6/

Name:  IMG_0989.jpg
Views: 9479
Size:  352.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0990.jpg
Views: 26895
Size:  276.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Views: 26778
Size:  325.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0992.jpg
Views: 26539
Size:  310.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0993.jpg
Views: 26427
Size:  318.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0994.jpg
Views: 8896
Size:  326.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0995.jpg
Views: 8835
Size:  357.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0996.jpg
Views: 8854
Size:  361.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0997.jpg
Views: 8258
Size:  284.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0998.jpg
Views: 8578
Size:  302.8 KB

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Great looking car but the sound of all that understeer just makes me cringe

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

i dont think it's understeer nois, it's jus taht the track is a little bumpy and the car loses grip.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #4
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Looks like a really heavy car. Look how much they have to slow down for turns.
      09-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

well its def fast, and it does stay flat ... but ur right that thing looks friggin heavy
      09-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Yurka
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, CLS55 AMG, E31 850i

I really wish it sounded better.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
Right?! What was that about?!? I was just about to say the F10 m5 definitely holds it's composure more, that 6 looked so unbelievably sluggish! I have always loved the m5 over the m6. Pretty sure that m5 is known to handle better as well despite having two extra doors. Kind of like the e90 m3 vs the e92
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
43 seconds into it is where it makes me cringe.
      09-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 2000 328i

Quote:
I hardly login but I did just to reply to this comment.

You can not HEAR understeer. What you heard is the squealing of tires sliding sideways across the pavement. There is no way that you can tell if it's understeering or if it's oversteering or neutral, by just listening to the sound. It didn't appear to be noticeably oversteering in the video but only if you're driving the car can you really tell.

Sitting in your armchair will not give you a good idea of how the car drives AT ALL!! The amount of armchair coaches and drivers on here is ridiculous.

EDIT: At 1:08 it actually appears to be slightly oversteering. But in reality, a car that loves oversteering can be easily made to understeer in a corner and also made to hold right on the edge and go neutrally around the corner. By driving it around one corner you can't come to a conclusion that the car will always oversteer or understeer... And you're trying to make that conclusion from watching a video!

Last edited by italy430; 09-16-2011 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post

You can not HEAR understeer. What you heard is the squealing of tires sliding sideways across the pavement. There is no way that you can tell if it's understeering or if it's oversteering or neutral, by just listening to the sound. It didn't appear to be noticeably oversteering in the video but only if you're driving the car can you really tell.

Sitting in your armchair will not give you a good idea of how the car drives AT ALL!! The amount of armchair coaches and drivers on here is ridiculous.

EDIT: At 1:08 it actually appears to be slightly oversteering. But in reality, a car that loves oversteering can be easily made to understeer in a corner and also made to hold right on the edge and go neutrally around the corner. By driving it around one corner you can't come to a conclusion that the car will always oversteer or understeer... And you're trying to make that conclusion from watching a video!
Exactly!! I really want to reply to that comment, but I just dont know how to describe it. Thx for giving this guy a lesson

Anyway, this is what I feel after I saw the video.

"Music in my ears."
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypon83 View Post
Exactly!! I really want to reply to that comment, but I just dont know how to describe it. Thx for giving this guy a lesson

Anyway, this is what I feel after I saw the video.

"Music in my ears."
The stuttering sound of the front tires losing mechanical adhesion/friction to the track is characteristic of understeer. In addition to that, watching the car's weight shift itself over is a visual that can be associated with understeer.

Understeer feels different than oversteer, that is a given. But any mildly experienced driver is able to decipher the difference between understeer and oversteer from the sound itself. Go try driving on a track sometime soon, its a much different experience than just watching videos of people on the Nürburgring from your armchair.

Cheers!

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The stuttering sound of the front tires losing mechanical adhesion/friction to the track is characteristic of understeer. In addition to that, watching the car's weight shift itself over is a visual that can be associated with understeer.

Understeer feels different than oversteer, that is a given. But any mildly experienced driver is able to decipher the difference between understeer and oversteer from the sound itself. Go try driving on a track sometime soon, its a much different experience than just watching videos of people on the Nürburgring from your armchair.

Cheers!
I don't have a nice way to say this so I'll try to be professional. You are incorrect.

Quote:
watching the car's weight shift itself over is a visual that can be associated with understeer
That's incorrect. The weight shift has to do with the momentum of the car changing. Momentum is a vector quantity and, therefore, a change in direction constitutes a change in momentum. The bottom of the car (wheels) are applying a force on the road which is changing the direction of the car when it goes around a corner and, therefore, changing the momentum of the car. The reason the car will experience a "weight shift" is because the inertia of the top of the car wants to keep going in the direction it was going before the wheels were turned to go around the corner. The weight of the top of the car and the distance (height of the car) from the bottom of the car will determine how much torque will be applied. Obviously a stiff suspension will be able to handle that kind of torque better and will exhibit flatter cornering. Now you can go around a corner, aka. change your momentum, by either understeering or oversteering in the corner. The direction change of the vehicle can come from either oversteer OR understeer. YOU CAN NOT TELL IF A VEHICLE IS UNDERSTEERING FROM LISTENING TO THE SOUND!!! I'd really like to make that clear.

You cannot tell from listening to the sound. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Quote:
Go try driving on a track sometime soon, its a much different experience than just watching videos of people on the Nürburgring from your armchair.
Thanks for the advice. Now, can you take your own advice?

EDIT: Another little thought... the weight shift will go in the same direction, regardless of understeer or oversteer. I hope you can figure out why that happens.

Last edited by italy430; 09-16-2011 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #13
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

I have a feeling this car understeers a lot more than its predecessor. You can tell those PS2s? are not keeping the car flat and down. I am sure they are still working on the final suspension metrics, but definitely could use some more downforce. The increased torque and power of the s63tu at those rpms around those turns is too much for that set up. It really looks like it is dragging a lot of weight around those turns.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep

It will be a must to get the carbon ceramic brakes with this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quit the personal attacks, or risk an infraction.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #16
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't have a nice way to say this so I'll try to be professional. You are incorrect.

That's incorrect. The weight shift has to do with the momentum of the car changing. Momentum is a vector quantity and, therefore, a change in direction constitutes a change in momentum. The bottom of the car (wheels) are applying a force on the road which is changing the direction of the car when it goes around a corner and, therefore, changing the momentum of the car. The reason the car will experience a "weight shift" is because the inertia of the top of the car wants to keep going in the direction it was going before the wheels were turned to go around the corner. The weight of the top of the car and the distance (height of the car) from the bottom of the car will determine how much torque will be applied. Obviously a stiff suspension will be able to handle that kind of torque better and will exhibit flatter cornering. Now you can go around a corner, aka. change your momentum, by either understeering or oversteering in the corner. The direction change of the vehicle can come from either oversteer OR understeer. YOU CAN NOT TELL IF A VEHICLE IS UNDERSTEERING FROM LISTENING TO THE SOUND!!! I'd really like to make that clear.

You cannot tell from listening to the sound. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

Thanks for the advice. Now, can you take your own advice?

EDIT: Another little thought... the weight shift will go in the same direction, regardless of understeer or oversteer. I hope you can figure out why that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Quit the personal attacks, or risk an infraction.
No attacks.
This video (start at 8:10) should explain all.
Thanks

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You're not worth arguing with...

Go to 8min9sec... Does this sound familiar, big boy?

PS: Troll:
"One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument"
You're too stubborn to admit that you're wrong, and are deliberately provoking an argument.
You sir, are in fact a troll.

Good day!
I believe Jeremy said that as a bit of a joke or a stab at the supporters of the Audi. It would be good to know that during this segment in the show, Jeremy was not the supporter of the Audi.

I believe this video is more appropriate. Tiff explains, very well, the different handling characteristics that cars have. Close your eyes and listen to the Audi in your video at 8:09 and then close your eyes and listen to the MR2 at 7:00 in my video. It transitions from slight understeer to oversteer. You're lying if you tell me that there is a distinct difference between the understeer and oversteer. The MR2's noise while it transitions from understeer to oversteer has no distinct change. It progressively gets louder as the car gets closer to the camera, which negates the change in volume being significant, and the noise itself has a very minor and progressive change from when it's understeering to when it comes to rest after the oversteer maneuver.

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep

You're taking this way to seriously. You're still wrong.
I'm not gonna argue with you, not worth the infraction or potential ban...

Enjoy!

Quote:
I believe Jeremy said that as a bit of a joke or a stab at the supporters of the Audi. It would be good to know that during this segment in the show, Jeremy was not the supporter of the Audi.

I believe this video is more appropriate. Tiff explains, very well, the different handling characteristics that cars have. Close your eyes and listen to the Audi in your video at 8:09 and then close your eyes and listen to the MR2 at 7:00 in my video. It transitions from slight understeer to oversteer. You're lying if you tell me that there is a distinct difference between the understeer and oversteer. The MR2's noise while it transitions from understeer to oversteer has no distinct change. It progressively gets louder as the car gets closer to the camera, which negates the change in volume being significant, and the noise itself has a very minor and progressive change from when it's understeering to when it comes to rest after the oversteer maneuver.

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #19
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

You guys are both correct.

There is a distinctive tire scrubbing noise when a car understeers. However, it is only meaningful when it is added to the feel of the car while driving, as there are many similar noises that can be confused.
      09-17-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

The new M6, and even the new M5, are just too large to handle well. The M6 reminds me of a barge.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #21
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
You guys are both correct.

There is a distinctive tire scrubbing noise when a car understeers. However, it is only meaningful when it is added to the feel of the car while driving, as there are many similar noises that can be confused.
Bingo! That's what I was trying to illustrate with my last post. They do make a skidding sound but you'd really have to be driving the car to really know if it was an understeer or oversteer.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 10:12 PM   #22
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep

I still think it is complete understeer and is set up to do this.

Is this list of understeer values from Wikipedia understeer accurate?

Car model Understeer value
Nissan 350Z 19
Mazda MX-5 21
Nissan 350Z Roadster 21
Ford Mustang GT 22
Renault Megane Sport 22
Maserati Gran Sport 23
Mini Cooper S 23
BMW 330i 25
Alfa Romeo 147 GTA 27
Corvette C6 27
Corvette Z06 28