BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

MSR Intake Installed - Stunning! [PIC]

I sent my MSR intake off to JetHot earlier this month to get ceramic coated and polished. I got it back Friday so naturally I had to dig in this weekend and install it. George's instructions were great and he took my phone calls over the weekend on specific questions (even on Sunday). World class customer service!

The install is a bit tricky where the pipes meet the 90 degree elbow but once you get done with the first side the next side goes quickly (as with anything you do the first time). The removal of Gruppe and install of MSR took me 3.5 hours. A solid hour of the time was fussing with the pipe meeting the 90 degree bend (this is obviously the trickiest part). I am sure some of you guys can get it done much quicker but I take my time doing things vs. rushing through it.

The outcome is beautiful and simply looks "badass" in the engine bay. I am going to remove my charge pipes and send them in to be coated as well (they are still bare aluminum).

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian
I sent my MSR intake off to JetHot earlier this month to get ceramic coated and polished. I got it back Friday so naturally I had to dig in this weekend and install it. George's instructions were great and he took my phone calls over the weekend on specific questions (even on Sunday). World class customer service!

The install is a bit tricky where the pipes meet the 90 degree elbow but once you get done with the first side the next side goes quickly (as with anything you do the first time). The removal of Gruppe and install of MSR took me 3.5 hours. A solid hour of the time was fussing with the pipe meeting the 90 degree bend (this is obviously the trickiest part). I am sure some of you guys can get it done much quicker but I take my time doing things vs. rushing through it.

The outcome is beautiful and simply looks "badass" in the engine bay. I am going to remove my charge pipes and send them in to be coated as well (they are still bare aluminum).

Brian
Nice!!! What a difference! Definitely going to consider doing this to mine once it gets here!
      04-13-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

That looks pretty freakin sweet... Need more clips of the sound with the intake
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
HoustonRider
big pimpin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC and 2015 4 GC

Looking good, mine should be back from JHC late this week
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
M6J
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Looks amazing Brian. I will be upgrading my AFE Power to the MSR intake soon as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Wow that looks amazing!!!! *lust lust lust*
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #7
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 F13 2014

damn looks awesome brian, im interested in upgrading my afe to this aswell, whats the price??
its pretty rainy here where i live, would that be an issue having the intakes up in the kidney grills??

Last edited by Sharif507; 04-13-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif507 View Post
damn looks awesome brian, im interested in upgrading my afe to this aswell, whats the price??
its pretty rainy here where i live, would that be an issue having the intakes up in the kidney grills??
I would take to George directly for pricing. If it is rainy he does include prechargers that fit over the filters which would eliminate the concern of rain.

Brian
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrian View Post
I would take to George directly for pricing. If it is rainy he does include prechargers that fit over the filters which would eliminate the concern of rain.

Brian
That rain thing concerned me too. I forget whether it was in a post or an email I got from MSR but they did some driving at speed in hard rain without any trouble. It was pretty convincing to me. If I can find it I'll post links, or with permission post the email.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:31 AM   #10
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Wrinkle Black

For those who like that stealth look I had my R&D pipes done and turned out better then I thought.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #11
vqpro2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black ex. red in. navi sport p

OMG

WOW that is so hot loving it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #12
Sharif507
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 F13 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
For those who like that stealth look I had my R&D pipes done and turned out better then I thought.
wowow, absolutely stunning!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #13
chask
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6beast View Post
Usually black absorbs heat. Were these done with a black Jet Hot style ceramic that has some resistance to heat transfer or just some generic black coating w3ith no other thermal properties? I am curious if a black JH coating (if there is one) would do anything about heat transfer - result in higher or lower inlet temperatures. I am not sure how you could measure this except to get two cars with identical intakes side by side on the very same day and look for the change in inlet temperatures. The temperature and humidity could easily change enough in the time the install took to throw off the data. Unless the difference was large you would never know for sure.

I definitely prefer the stealth look of the black ones but not at the cost of higher inlet temperatures, even if it was just a couple of degrees. Then again, that black looks so cool to me, and it's probably not much of a difference. It's be nice to quantify it though.

I was very surprised when I checked out Jet Hot online. I think I used to use that Jet Hot coating on the exhaust pieces of a turbo I had. If I am correct about that and it is the same stuff they are using on these inlet pipes that stuff is flat out amazing. It took the engine compartment from being so hot it would melt stuff in the adjacent trunk (mid-engine car) to being comfortable to work in there right after running it and no more over heating of the items in the trunk. That is a really great product.

If it is the same stuff I am thinking of I'd want to do everything in the engine compartment I could, especially on the hot side. But removing and reinstalling all that stuff could get expensive. Still, if it had to come off anyway (like adding a new downpipe, or maybe part or all of the exhaust system) I'd be doing it for sure. That is a great product.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

SICK! I love my intakes as well
Appreciate 0