BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
awais_shahid
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 LCI 640d Gran Coupe

Angry Buckled 20" 373M alloy like you've never seen before!

So we all have long known large rims and runflats are not kind to alloy wheels. It doesn't help that the quality of BMW wheels are generally pretty shit (I had 3 cracked alloys replaced on my e92 coupe).

The trouble is there's absolutely no give in the side wall of the tyre, thus all the force is distributed to the rim ultimately leading to it buckling or failing.

So there I am driving along a main road in Manchester, and I drive over a dropped drainage grid in the middle of the road at around 30-35mph...thud felt like my tyre had exploded! It caused the wheel to deform with a flat edge.

You'd think I would have learnt my lesson, but 2 days later I was driving along the same road and completely forgot about the grid....thud...again!

Needless to say the rim is completely f*cked now and I took it to the dealer who simply said warranty won't touch it and I'll need to claim from the local council. I think it is poor wheel quality which has led to it failing so badly, has anybody else had a similar issue?

Fortunately I found a 2015 refurbished wheel on ebay for £260 delivered!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

How deep is this grid?

I have kerbed one of my 20's....refurbing a set of 20's is not cheap almost cheaper to get one new wheel. Lucky on the refurb front mind just make sure the mounting hub is clean it appears lots of f10's have been warping their discs and refurbed wheels seems from bmw an easy get out.

Edit btw one of these bare from bmw is £650...leebmann24 sell them for £450 roughly speaking.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Wow that is shocking. I've only ever seen a cheap, replica wheel buckle that badly!

I too came from a E92 Coupe with 19"s and indeed worry about the 20" wheels on the 6 Series.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
gtr_skyline
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d GC Sport / X3 2.0d Sport

Geez, sorry to hear - have it some bad pot holes in mine so better check mine too
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Can't believe you were able to continue driving it after the first time to hit it again!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 01:29 AM   #6
Mark333032
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 640d MSport Gran Coupe.

An irritating vibration on mine turned out to be a buckled rim on the inside edge so could not be seen with the wheel fitted to the car. Not as severe as yours mind. I had it straightened at Sheldons on Liverpool Road in Salford. They have a rim straightening machine. Only costs about £50 per wheel so it's worth taking your damaged wheel for repair to keep as a spare. Since then I moved to non-runflats so hitting potholes no longer buckles my wheels or causes the fillings in my teeth to drop out!
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2016, 03:44 AM   #7
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

I personally think this is not all down to runflats, a proportion of it will be down to that thanks to the stiffer sidewall, however some of that will also be down to the minimal profile of the tyre and wheel combination.

I am surprised the tyre did not give in first over the wheel really.

Saying that I have just received my winter wheel and tyre setup from BMW (at a large outlay obviously!), 17 inch with 55 profile! haha!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #8
Jsd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I would certainly write to the council or whoever is responsible for maintaining that road. They have a legal duty to maintain the road to a fit standard and should be liable to pay for any damage to the car caused as a result of it.

You say it happened twice to you, wouldn't surprise me if its happening to many other people every day!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 05:09 AM   #9
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by awais_shahid
So we all have long known large rims and runflats are not kind to alloy wheels. It doesn't help that the quality of BMW wheels are generally pretty shit (I had 3 cracked alloys replaced on my e92 coupe).

The trouble is there's absolutely no give in the side wall of the tyre, thus all the force is distributed to the rim ultimately leading to it buckling or failing.

So there I am driving along a main road in Manchester, and I drive over a dropped drainage grid in the middle of the road at around 30-35mph...thud felt like my tyre had exploded! It caused the wheel to deform with a flat edge.

You'd think I would have learnt my lesson, but 2 days later I was driving along the same road and completely forgot about the grid....thud...again!

Needless to say the rim is completely f*cked now and I took it to the dealer who simply said warranty won't touch it and I'll need to claim from the local council. I think it is poor wheel quality which has led to it failing so badly, has anybody else had a similar issue?

Fortunately I found a 2015 refurbished wheel on ebay for £260 delivered!
From a wheel engineering perspective, those are actually very impressive safe failures. I'm surprised the first impact didn't cause the bead seal to leak and that the car was driven after the first bend. The issues with RFT's transferring excessive loads to the rim was resolved many years ago. The tires are now designed to flex initially at the shoulder under normal loads and at the max load, the bead is allowed to compress onwards and remain seated courtesy of the implementation of EH2+ Bead Contours and and strengthened J Rim Flange specs.

One thing that stands out though are the excessive balance weights. Just from the ones I can count, it's there's at least 50% more above the maximum allowed on the entire wheel installed on the outboard side alone. Was it previously repaired or already compromised to begin with?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #10
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

i've had much worse bends than that and my tires never failed nor could they be to blame. at a decent speed and a big hole in the road, there's nothing any tire could do to prevent that other than to be a "regular" 50 series tire or something. i'm guessing when that wheel was bent, it felt like that car was going to break in half.

only slight surprise is that those are two bad hits and no bubbles in the tires
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
awais_shahid
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 LCI 640d Gran Coupe

Update: I finally got the replacement rim installed yesterday. Surprisingly the wheel had not lost any pressure after I pumped it back up, although obviously I was driving only when I had to use the car and kept it to low speeds only.

To answer your question miamiten the tyre was recently replaced due to a nail and was balanced by Kwik Fit hence loads of weights! I hate going there but that's the only place other than the main dealer that is approved for the tyre warranty.

I'm definitely getting the damaged wheel repaired to keep as a spare. Funnily enough I was going to take it to Sheldon's, I've been going there for years. Although the composition of the wheel will be compromised following the impact, it's good to have a spare in case it happens again.

I've already put a claim into the council but from past experience they always initially reject your claim and you have to send several complaint letters and threaten court action before it gets anywhere. It will ended up costing me more in my time, than what the replacement wheel did!
Appreciate 0