BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
6 series gran coupe in frozen matte paint (pics)

Saw this MSport 640i gran coupe today. Saw it from the front and was able to take in the full beauty of the machine. Interior looks luxurious and amazing, love the BMW frozen paint (like Mercedes' shadow matte paint). I was quite disappointed when I went around the back and saw it was a 640i... so aggressive and good looking, then you see those ugly, cheap looking tailpipes and the 640i badge...

Here are some pics. Definitely a looker; I like the grancoupe MUCH more than the standard 6 coupe/cabriolet. Hopefully BMW releases an M4 grancoupe... looks to be one hell of a car as well!

--

Snapped a few pics of this brand new R8 as well!

PS:

Sorry for the quality, I was in a parking lot as you can all see. Photos were taken with an iPhone5 in HDR mode (no flash)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Saw this MSport 640i gran coupe today. Saw it from the front and was able to take in the full beauty of the machine. Interior looks luxurious and amazing, love the BMW frozen paint (like Mercedes' shadow matte paint). I was quite disappointed when I went around the back and saw it was a 640i... so aggressive and good looking, then you see those ugly, cheap looking tailpipes and the 640i badge...

Here are some pics. Definitely a looker; I like the grancoupe MUCH more than the standard 6 coupe/cabriolet. Hopefully BMW releases an M4 grancoupe... looks to be one hell of a car as well!

--

Snapped a few pics of this brand new R8 as well!

PS:

Sorry for the quality, I was in a parking lot as you can all see. Photos were taken with an iPhone5 in HDR mode (no flash)
It's funny that you said thoes tail pipes are cheap and were disapointed to see the 640i badge since that car is more expensive that most 650i GC you see since it has ///M sport + full Individual Package.
      06-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyGeeGee View Post
It's funny that you said thoes tail pipes are cheap and were disapointed to see the 640i badge since that car is more expensive that most 650i GC you see since it has ///M sport + full Individual Package.
He has a point about the tailpipes, they don't really fit the car. Didn't you change your exhaust too?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
WhyGeeGee
Second Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC , 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
He has a point about the tailpipes, they don't really fit the car. Didn't you change your exhaust too?
I did but not because I thought they looked cheap but because I wanted one with better sound so even if I had the trapezoid tail pipes that comes with the 650i I would have changed them too. If these look cheap then you wouldn't find them on Aston Martins.
      06-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
It wasn't as much about the price of the car (being a 640, not a 650) but more about the performance. With that MSport package and the matte finish, the car looked aggressive from the front. like a proper GT 'gran coupe' car... but a 3.0L I6 in a car like that is just underwhelming (it is a heavy, big GT 'sedan' that is just screaming for a V8), especially at the price point and with the look of the car. I assume the engine is the N55 from the 3/4 series... it just doesn't seem like the right fit for this car.

Also, its not that the tailpipes are circular.. but the gap between the tailpipes and the rear diffuser and the fact that, unlike aston martin, the diffuser doesn't wrap around the pipes fully; they look like they are just hanging there, and BMW forgot to put something over them. They are probably the same exact tailpipes from the 650, but on the 650, the trapezoid 'tailpipes' aren't actually the tailpipes, they are just covers for aesthetic styling and aggressiveness.

Also, the parking lot is the Westfield Century City mall in Los Angeles, off Santa Monica Blvd.

And I agree about the shadowline trim as well!

EDIT: Also, I may be wrong, but I just priced out a 640i with MSport and the matte paint and added the packages that I would assume this car had.. and it still came out right about the same as the starting/base price of the 650i gc. So I guess it might be just as expensive than anyone who buys a base model 650, but again... at that price point, I would probably get the base 650 for the performance, or go a different route (CLS550 > 640i imo)
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust

Last edited by SaMaster14; 06-20-2013 at 03:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

In US is just the low price of the fuel that makes these cars screaming after v8s, but your speed limits are so low that 4cyl engines would be more than enough
In Europe is the opposite way than yours, not so low speed limits (or not at all in the speed paradise - Germany), but high prices for fuel
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
It wasn't as much about the price of the car (being a 640, not a 650) but more about the performance. With that MSport package and the matte finish, the car looked aggressive from the front. like a proper GT 'gran coupe' car... but a 3.0L I6 in a car like that is just underwhelming (it is a heavy, big GT 'sedan' that is just screaming for a V8), especially at the price point and with the look of the car. I assume the engine is the N55 from the 3/4 series... it just doesn't seem like the right fit for this car.

Also, its not that the tailpipes are circular.. but the gap between the tailpipes and the rear diffuser and the fact that, unlike aston martin, the diffuser doesn't wrap around the pipes fully; they look like they are just hanging there, and BMW forgot to put something over them. They are probably the same exact tailpipes from the 650, but on the 650, the trapezoid 'tailpipes' aren't actually the tailpipes, they are just covers for aesthetic styling and aggressiveness.

Also, the parking lot is the Westfield Century City mall in Los Angeles, off Santa Monica Blvd.

And I agree about the shadowline trim as well!

EDIT: Also, I may be wrong, but I just priced out a 640i with MSport and the matte paint and added the packages that I would assume this car had.. and it still came out right about the same as the starting/base price of the 650i gc. So I guess it might be just as expensive than anyone who buys a base model 650, but again... at that price point, I would probably get the base 650 for the performance, or go a different route (CLS550 > 640i imo)
So was the last model 650 underwhelming as well? Similar performance to the new 640.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous
So was the last model 650 underwhelming as well? Similar performance to the new 640.
That is a good point. While the price of the 6ers went waay up for the F12/13, so did the performance as the new 640i has similar figures to the outgoing 650i, and the new 650i nearly matches the performance of the old M6 with that amazing V10. Next generation, presumably with extensive carbon fiber, should be even more impressive!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
Actually, from friends who have them, they say definitely underwhelming, and quite a few engine problems as well. A good friend of mine has an 08 (I believe) 650i coupe and he never likes driving it fast... says my 335is would blow it out of the water.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Actually, from friends who have them, they say definitely underwhelming, and quite a few engine problems as well. A good friend of mine has an 08 (I believe) 650i coupe and he never likes driving it fast... says my 335is would blow it out of the water.
One is a little baby and the other is a grown man . One is also from 2008 and the other is from 2012.

Last edited by Superfluous; 06-23-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
One is a little baby and the other is a grown man . One is also from 2008 and the other is from 2012.
Exactly. You asked about the last model 650i didn't you? The new 650 is on a whole different level, but the 640 is just a bit underwhelming for the aggressive looks.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. You asked about the last model 650i didn't you? The new 650 is on a whole different level, but the 640 is just a bit underwhelming for the aggressive looks.
I'm guessing the Maserati granturismo is underwhelming as well then...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm guessing the Maserati granturismo is underwhelming as well then...
The GranTurismo has always had a V8, has it not? It also has one of the most amazing exhaust notes I've ever heard. Sure, it may not have blistering performance numbers (at least the older models, the new ones are quite powerful). But you still feel that pull and power. The new 2013 Maserati Gran Turismo has a 4.7L V8 producing 454hp and 384lb/ft torque. It would definitely be competition for the 650i coupe, not the 640i.

The 640 has the twinscroll turbo I6 engine from a 3/5 series... producing 315hp and 330lb/ft of torque.

I've never driven the car, so I can't really comment on underwhelming or overwhelming; my post was ONLY about the looks and the on-paper facts. But if you say it performs similarly to the old model 650i, I can say, that car was a 'bit' underwhelming from experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

The N55 is a fantastic motor, even the N20 hold's it's own. If just getting around town in above average prestige and comfort is your goal, there isn't a BMW that will let you down. I kind of respect the restraint displayed by this GC Individual owner because he/she could obviously have sprung for the 650i and instead went for a more progressively economical and (in ways) refined option. When I see the gas light come on and only 200ish miles have been driven since my last ~$70 fill-up I sometimes wonder if my current driving style hates my wallet. (I'm almost never on the freeway)

When you're used to the brutal, unapologetic, oil guzzling nature of a BMW V8, no turbo 6 will suffice. I tried, all it did was cost me needless thousands to break a lease I should have avoided in the first place. Now if the N54 was still in production we would be having a different conversation. It doesn't take much to make that motor spew 500+HP onto the ground. DME encryption/limitations hold the N55 back (for now).
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #15
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Quote:
The GranTurismo has always had a V8, has it not? It also has one of the most amazing exhaust notes I've ever heard. Sure, it may not have blistering performance numbers (at least the older models, the new ones are quite powerful). But you still feel that pull and power. The new 2013 Maserati Gran Turismo has a 4.7L V8 producing 454hp and 384lb/ft torque. It would definitely be competition for the 650i coupe, not the 640i.

The 640 has the twinscroll turbo I6 engine from a 3/5 series... producing 315hp and 330lb/ft of torque.

I've never driven the car, so I can't really comment on underwhelming or overwhelming; my post was ONLY about the looks and the on-paper facts. But if you say it performs similarly to the old model 650i, I can say, that car was a 'bit' underwhelming from experience.
The maserati has a 4.2 litre 405 hp V8 doing 0-60 in about 5.2
The 640 has a i6 315 hp doing 0-60 in about 5.3

It is what it is. Seems superfluous for a 405 hp V8 that isn't faster. I put about 5000 miles on a granturismo, and while it's a pretty car, I'm not crazy about the rest of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post
The N55 is a fantastic motor, even the N20 hold's it's own. If just getting around town in above average prestige and comfort is your goal, there isn't a BMW that will let you down. I kind of respect the restraint displayed by this GC Individual owner because he/she could obviously have sprung for the 650i and instead went for a more progressively economical and (in ways) refined option. When I see the gas light come on and only 200ish miles have been driven since my last ~$70 fill-up I sometimes wonder if my current driving style hates my wallet. (I'm almost never on the freeway)

When you're used to the brutal, unapologetic, oil guzzling nature of a BMW V8, no turbo 6 will suffice. I tried, all it did was cost me needless thousands to break a lease I should have avoided in the first place. Now if the N54 was still in production we would be having a different conversation. It doesn't take much to make that motor spew 500+HP onto the ground. DME encryption/limitations hold the N55 back (for now).
One of the main reasons I got the 335is (other than it being limited production run, with the DCT from the M3) was because of the updated N54. Love that engine... and it's PERFECT for a smaller coupe. Idk, it just seems weird for there to be an I6 in such a big heavy gran coupe. The performance might be there, and it's definitely economical, but I just don't see the car having the high end pull at highway speeds like a powerful, growling V8.

Quote:
The maserati has a 4.2 litre 405 hp V8 doing 0-60 in about 5.2
The 640 has a i6 315 hp doing 0-60 in about 5.3

It is what it is. Seems superfluous for a 405 hp V8 that isn't faster. I put about 5000 miles on a granturismo, and while it's a pretty car, I'm not crazy about the rest of it.
Again, I've never driven the new 6 series, and as I said above, the engine definitely performs. Just seems weird to me I guess. 0-60 is one thing... but what about the high end pull and ease of driving at high speeds (even high US freeway speeds) that a GT car is all about.

Idk about the Maserati GT; for that price, I would probably get the M6! GranTurismo is beautiful, and LOUD... but I would agree, it's not a performance car, it's a GT car (that probably performs better at highway speeds than the 640, but is priced like an M6...)

To be honest... I might go the way of the Merc though. I've never liked Maserati's reliability, or the price they charge for the performance you get.

My dad was just deciding between a 2013 650i convertible, Maserati GranTurismo and the Mercedes SL550.

He went for the new SL550 in matte grey. Stunning car (probably the paint, but it gets looks EVERYWHERE, even in the wealthiest of neighborhoods), with the best interior out of all of them (although I much prefer iDrive, but my dad barely uses his nav). Also, performance wise, the SL almost matches the M6 in ways of straight line speed and GT abilities over the 650 and Maserati.
Appreciate 0