BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

11-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2CS+GTS Targa+RRS SVR

M6 convertible or C4S Cabriolet? or X5M vs M6 Gran Coupe

Hi everyone, i thought i would start here since I'm a long time BMW guy and contemplating moving into the M6, just don't know which version.

I've waited for the comp package to hit, so now I'm leaning towards trading my M3 convertible in for either the M6 vert or C4S cab. I test drove the C4S cab and its an awesome, tight, car. very refined. i went yesterday to drive the M6 vert but they only had the coupe with the comp package. i thought the M6 was exhilarating and beautiful but it was felt big...but then i started thinking its almost the same size as my M3 which i need for my family..

which would you choose?

Or I can trade my X5M in for the M6 gran coupe, but the X5M is so practical, its not close in performance anymore, 4 years made a huge difference but i can do so much with the X5M. i feel like the gran coupe is still really a sports sedan and not meant for carpools and weekend sports with the kids

jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
jcbh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
Hi everyone, i thought i would start here since I'm a long time BMW guy and contemplating moving into the M6, just don't know which version.

I've waited for the comp package to hit, so now I'm leaning towards trading my M3 convertible in for either the M6 vert or C4S cab. I test drove the C4S cab and its an awesome, tight, car. very refined. i went yesterday to drive the M6 vert but they only had the coupe with the comp package. i thought the M6 was exhilarating and beautiful but it was felt big...but then i started thinking its almost the same size as my M3 which i need for my family..

which would you choose?

Or I can trade my X5M in for the M6 gran coupe, but the X5M is so practical, its not close in performance anymore, 4 years made a huge difference but i can do so much with the X5M. i feel like the gran coupe is still really a sports sedan and not meant for carpools and weekend sports with the kids

jeff
Jeff, I just responded to your post over on RL, but here it is again:

Jeff,
I was initially turned off the M6 when it came out as I too found it heavy....it is not as much of a "sports" car as the 991 - it is more of a GT. It does feel heavy but is an excellent daily driver. When I needed to replace my Panamera Turbo, I looked at all of the other options, including the S8, M5 and then the M6 Gran Coupe. After ruling out the others, I drove the M6 GC for a few hours, and then went back to drive the new 2014 Panamera Turbo for an hour or two...I missed the M6 GC. Something about it made me miss it...I felt like I was missing out. The technology, the interior, the luxury, the sound, all added up to a terrific package. The M6 vert is a gorgeous car, and while so many items are options and hard to put together on a Porsche (that is in-stock), with BMW there are fewer options and more packages, so it is easier to find what you want. As well, there are great deals on these cars. Oh, and the free maintenance...I had forgotten about that, and it was a nice surprise.
That being said, I have a 2012.5 991 Carrera S cab, and a 2013 Cayenne Turbo. Amazing cars, and the M6 fits in nicely to our stable. The M6 is what I find myself driving almost every day, as I said, it is a complete package for everyday. If you are getting the M6 or 991 as a weekend car (doesn't sound so), then I would get the C4S but if you need it for more duty than that, get the M6. Let us know!
Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
bjayfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbh View Post
If you are getting the M6 or 991 as a weekend car (doesn't sound so), then I would get the C4S but if you need it for more duty than that, get the M6.
I pretty much agree with that, but still think you should drive the M6 vert first.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

well right now i use my M3 convertible whenever its 60+ degrees out and sunny

but all other times i'm driving the X5M.

i put 6000 miles a year on my cars, so last year it was probably 2000 miles on the convertible and 4000 miles on the SUV.

dilemmas..

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

i'd trade it for the C4S cabriolet, there's just something with this 991 generation hahaha "dark side"
and keep the X5M for family days..
      11-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K
i'd trade it for the C4S cabriolet, there's just something with this 991 generation hahaha "dark side"
and keep the X5M for family days..
You know I loved my x5m. But I did get it for when my kids were young. It was more practical. Now they are old enough I wouldn't mind a smaller , tighter car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Jty421
Private
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F8 Tributo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
You know I loved my x5m. But I did get it for when my kids were young. It was more practical. Now they are old enough I wouldn't mind a smaller , tighter car.
Ha! You just answered your own question!
C4S Cab and M6 Grancoupe!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

i decided against the gran coupe. its a little too snug..sexy..but snug

i picked the m5

jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Chizzy67
Rep
Drives: 2013 750Li

Come on everybody lets kick up the replies here I am going through the same debate of M6 GC vs the C4S 991. I test drove the C4S last weekend and I loved it. However:

M6GC
you get more car for the money (575hp vs 400hp)
Less pricey options. You can get a loaded M6 for less money Porsche options expensive
You get a car that has a real option for backseat passengers
Not as many of these cars on the road. Therefore more of a commodity and head turner

C4S
I've just always loved the 911
the 991 rides better than any previous model
convertible versus no moon roof availability.
classic sports car.

Please add to the list
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
The M6 GC is much more of a GT car than the 911, it's more comparable with the Panamera.

If these are the only two options you are considering, it's very simple! If you want a convertible, get the 911. If you want to be able to seat 4 adults (rear passengers need to be under 6 foot, less if those in the front are tall) or need more luggage space, get the M6 GC. However, IMO you need to decide what you want first, then make a list of cars that fit those requirements.

Neither car will disappoint, as long as you don't try and exceed it's physical limitations by trying to fit 4 6'6" people in the M6 GC or just 4 adults in the 911 for example. So it may come down to more personally specific things, do YOU find the seats and driving position comfortable? Is the BMW/Porsche dealer nearer to you and do they have a good reputation or do you already have a good rapport with them etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I've been all over the place on this and landed on trading in both cars for an M5 Comp package. Its a more practical car that the M6 even though the M6 is better looking. Its $20K less too. With that $20K i'm going to try and get a good deal on 13 C4S cab...

Jeff
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
bmwsocal
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Go for the M6 Vert. Better car, better looking car, and more practical than the C4S, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
jlee
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I ended up going in a different direction entirely.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0