BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-23-2018, 03:46 AM   #1
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Turo, how does it work?

I’m going to be doing a weekend trip to LA with my wife in a few weeks. I’m tempted to do a Turo rental over tradition car rental companiea. This is fairly new to me and I never used it before, how exactly does it work insurance wise? My visa covers car rental insurance, but does Turo considered as a “car rental” or it is a car share? Is it even worth it or am I better off sticking with tradition car rental?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Check out Sixt. I had a brand new 4-series convertible on my last trip and it was not expensive. And it's a traditional rental company with all the benefits that provides.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Can't use your credit card rental insurance, you need to purchase your own from Turo.

It's usually worth it if you are looking for a specific car or something rental companies won't have. I believe in some areas it works out to be less if you want a convertible or sports car and you get more choices sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

used turo twice out of lax
first time, as usual, was so much better than the 2nd
1st seamless...good value
2nd time, delays, hassles, inconvenience

never again...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I've used it many times here in LA. It's much cheaper than renting from a traditional rental company and there is a much bigger selection of cars (quantity of cars will depend on your location obviously).

Every owner who has their car listed on Turo is different so the mileage you can use will vary, the pick up and drop off times will vary, locations, etc.

As far as insurance goes, you have the option to add certain types of coverage that will be in addition to the rental price. You can choose to not have any additional coverage and you're still covered with liability through Turo.

My suggestion is to download the app (if you haven't already) and just browse the app to get familiar with it as well as get familiar with the reviews. You will want to make sure you have the vehicle booked when you're ready or at least have a plan B incase it's taken as each vehicle/owner has different requirements you have to meet in order to rent the vehicle.

Lastly, read the reviews from people who rented the car before you. Turo is a great app, but some owners who rent their car out on the app are easier to deal with than others.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't rent a car from someone who hasn't been reviewed yet as I've read horror stories of someone being the first person to rent the car. Have fun, be smart choosing who to rent from and I think you'll come to the same conclusion that many have. I'll never go back to renting a car from a traditional rental company.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0