BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

04-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Curious to hear M6 owners thoughts on 2018 TT-RS

Truly love our M6 and can't say enough good things about it. It's my wife's DD, but also our long distance cruiser, so we have put 35k on her in two years. Bought used at 16k she is just crossing 50k, and memories of my V10 M6 falling apart have me looking at trading her in because the miles are going up fast! I've got to say though this car has been amazing rock solid, comfortable luxury, and a beast on the highway. Probably the best all around car I have owned.

Anyway looking now at a lightly used TT-RS. Wanting to hear current owners thoughts on this car. I have read all over the internet peoples thoughts on the car which are mostly positive, but the one group I haven't read is current F1x M6 owners, and only you guys know what we will be giving up in the move.

I will say my wife really doesn't care what she drives as long as it's comfortable and easy to drive. For me the +s for the TT are lighter weight (3300 lbs), 4WD (wife could use it in snow and inclimate weather plus it would make me feel more comfortable with her driving in snow), newer tech/virtual cockpit, better/louder sound, much faster and easier to control around town.

Of course the downgrades are pretty obvious as the M6 is just in another class altogether. People get excited and say Audi has the best interior, but no question in this comparison, while Audi might have a better DESIGN, BMW materials and finish is in another world. That is something I can live with. Also worried about interior space, center console etc. Haven't sat in even a TT yet, but at 6'2" I worry for long trips. I'm sure the car is a good deal slower at any rolling speed as well, but I think the trade off for more "quickness" can offset that.

Let's hear other M6 owners thoughts on this car as a replacement for our current M6. Really interested to hear what you guys think because I'm sure you will think of a few things I wouldn't! Will also add that there are no TT-RS remotely close to me (this is the same way the M6 was when I bought it but I had rented on for a day so I knew how it was) so this thread is taking the place of a very quick test drive (would never purchase without driving).

Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
mastatikle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Maybe I’m sexist but the TT has always been the car for the ladies. Similar to the VW Bug and Porsche Boxster. The M6 however screams brute strength and size. Also much more comfortable. That’s my small minded .02
Appreciate 2
      04-27-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
MelbourneFinn
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 G30 M550i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [9.00]
Hmm, interesting comparison, but maybe not that impossible. I haven’t driven the current model TT RS, but considering how the TTS drives, it’s a great pocket rocket.

What you would probably appreciate in the TT RS is how it handles, almost like a go kart when comparing to an M6 - feels half the weight. Also, the inline 5 in a master piece of an engine, you can’t not love it. And if it’s just the 2 of you, the space is a positive surprise, fold down the rear seats and it swallows a town. And the virtual cockpit is a nice touch, very modern.

On the negative side, though, when you compare the TT RS to an M6, it feels like clearly several degrees cheaper car... Yes, it’s nicely finished, but none of the opulence and luxury you feel when inside an M6. More like an upmarket golf on steroids and in an unpractical package. Also, when driving, the TTS is very neutral compared to an M6, in good and bad. There is none of the playfulness the M6 chassis provides, and the steering, at least in a TTS, is very remote in feel, and when it slips, there’s just under steer. Also, the TT RS is an extremely noisy car compared to an M6, and I don’t mean nice noisy - engine/exhaust, yes, you hear them, too - but rather just “cheap noisy” - lots of road noise regardless how good surface you drive on.

As an alternative, if you want something smaller, but equally fast as the M6, have a look at the new RS5 instead? I have driven it, and must say it was an impressive car - comfortable and sophisticated in need, but also has a “dark side”... I couldn’t justify moving from M6, though, but if you opt in for some of the ABT RS5-R goodies, might make a compelling alternative... I found myself wondering whether the RS4 Avant (lucky us here down under, we will get it) would be the best of both worlds, but appears that RS6 Avant still is the king compared to the little brother. So, my final comparison was between RS6 and an M6 GC - and still, I couldn’t decline the M6 attraction, so ordered a dealer demo 2017 M6 GC (will collect next weekend ��).

I hope this helps...
Appreciate 1
Db750278.00
      04-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastatikle View Post
Maybe I’m sexist but the TT has always been the car for the ladies. Similar to the VW Bug and Porsche Boxster. The M6 however screams brute strength and size. Also much more comfortable. That’s my small minded .02
I definitely understand and agree with your assessment I have thought the same thing ever since the first Gen TT. Have always perceived it as a girl's car. I feel the same way about this third generation as well, however this RS treatment is finally enough to get my over the edge. The front end on this version is honestly hard to distinguish from an R8 in traffic and just looks incredibly aggressive. The fixed spoiler and huge exhaust pipes really help the rear as well. From the side the two tone 20s really help, but it's still the same proportions and really not much you can do to give the[IMG]undefined[/IMG] shape a more masculine appeal like the M6.

Interior is the same with regards to design many R8 like touches including the steering wheel, virtual cockpit, and cool ac vents with the display in the middle. The diamond stitch leather is also nice touch, and one thing I do like is there is only one interior choice and it looks great so that eliminate a lot of issues buying used.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

As said above interior design is fantastic however it's a massive step down with regard to material and build quality which is not easy to see in pics but very evident in person.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneFinn View Post
Hmm, interesting comparison, but maybe not that impossible. I haven't driven the current model TT RS, but considering how the TTS drives, it's a great pocket rocket.

What you would probably appreciate in the TT RS is how it handles, almost like a go kart when comparing to an M6 - feels half the weight. Also, the inline 5 in a master piece of an engine, you can't not love it. And if it's just the 2 of you, the space is a positive surprise, fold down the rear seats and it swallows a town. And the virtual cockpit is a nice touch, very modern.

On the negative side, though, when you compare the TT RS to an M6, it feels like clearly several degrees cheaper car... Yes, it's nicely finished, but none of the opulence and luxury you feel when inside an M6. More like an upmarket golf on steroids and in an unpractical package. Also, when driving, the TTS is very neutral compared to an M6, in good and bad. There is none of the playfulness the M6 chassis provides, and the steering, at least in a TTS, is very remote in feel, and when it slips, there's just under steer. Also, the TT RS is an extremely noisy car compared to an M6, and I don't mean nice noisy - engine/exhaust, yes, you hear them, too - but rather just "cheap noisy" - lots of road noise regardless how good surface you drive on.

As an alternative, if you want something smaller, but equally fast as the M6, have a look at the new RS5 instead? I have driven it, and must say it was an impressive car - comfortable and sophisticated in need, but also has a "dark side"... I couldn't justify moving from M6, though, but if you opt in for some of the ABT RS5-R goodies, might make a compelling alternative... I found myself wondering whether the RS4 Avant (lucky us here down under, we will get it) would be the best of both worlds, but appears that RS6 Avant still is the king compared to the little brother. So, my final comparison was between RS6 and an M6 GC - and still, I couldn't decline the M6 attraction, so ordered a dealer demo 2017 M6 GC (will collect next weekend ��).

I hope this helps...
Really appreciate the well thought out response! I agree with everything you said, and one thing you touched on with regard to driving dynamics is something I am concerned about. Sadly where I live there are not many opportunities to test drive these kind of cars, so I most likely won't get to drive one of these until I am very far along the buying process. The last audi I drove was a friend's V8 RS5, which I had a V10 M6 at the time, and I was blown away by how disconnected and heavy it felt. Of course he could blow me away at stoplight, but the thing truly drove like a boat. I had a 2013 M3 comp after that, and the RS5 wasn't even in the same universe with regard to driving dynamics. I am hoping that the smaller size and weight of the TT (3300 lbs 4wd is pretty impressive) will make up for some of that, and the fun ripping off the line will help as well. I've never owned a 4wd performance car so that is appealing as well.

Would love to get the RS5 honestly if that was in our price range I probably wouldn't look much at the TT, but like I said we will be driving this car close to 20k a year so we will definitely need to go slightly used to offset a bit of the depreciation. No way my wife would have gone for a new M6 two years back. Not the purchase price because it was only slightly less than my 911, but the depreciation when you drive these cars as much as we do is just CRAZY! Truly one of the most expensive cars out there in that regard! The RS5 would definitely be a consideration once there are more available on the used market though!

Have also considered the M4 but unfortunately as much as I love it bmw has lost me on that one with the absolute SHIT sound. Have considered new body C63 coupe as well, but not a big fan of the interior. Final car I've considered is a 2015 C63 507 package just not sure how we will enjoy the older interior for long distance trips. Came so close to buying one of those so many times bit for one reason or another it never worked out. For now it's looking like that car might be the one that got away. That engine is so much fun!

Another plus for the TTRS, because as you know us car guys are always planning way in the future, is that it would do a pretty good job of scratching my R8 itch, so instead of replacing my 911 with an R8 in a year or so I would be much more content in a GT3 (which is also a much better choice with regard to depreciation). Obviously the TT is not close to a high Rev NA V10, but it does have a lot of touches I love in the R8 like the steering wheel and virtual cockpit and the cool ac vents with display in middle.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

While I haven't driven the TT-RS, I've driven the current gen RS3, the old V8 RS5 and new V6 TT RS5, F13 M6 and I've done 130,000km in my C63 over nearly 4 years - it has been my long trip car and I've done many 1000km days in it. I haven't driven the new C63s Coupe but have driven the Sedan.

The RS3 was a great car for a bit of a trash around corners and hilarious in the city with its grip off the line but even driving it 80km on the motorway to the family farm was tedious, by the time I got to the last 20km of corners I was a bit over it and I felt like I'd been driving for 6 hours.

As far as I can tell the TT-RS is setup harder and more focused than the RS3 so I suspect it will be even further in that direction and absolutely not a GT car.

I only drove the new RS5 for about half an hour, it seemed quite a bit lighter on its feet for direction changes compared to the old V8 one and the midrange shove was great, the engine feels similar to an M6 in power delivery but about 20% down which is what you'd expect when looking at the figures and engine capacity.

Even though the RS5 has a new interior and it quite a bit more modern than the M6 I didn't think it was a special place due to the plastic everywhere. Other than that and the small fuel tank it is a great cruiser and nowhere near as twitchy as the RS3 or the M4.

I think it is the best combination of daily and GT, it also isn't as big as the M6, the extra width of the M6 is something I don't enjoy on small roads.

I haven't driven the new 9 speed C63s (I don't even think they are available yet) but I'm really disappointed with Mercedes not moving forward with their transmission and while the dash looks fancy it also comes across as cheap and tacky in my mind. I honestly don't think I'd spend more on a new one than a last of the last 507.

You could always get an S3 or TT-S for the wife's daily and keep the M6 for long drives, depends how many you do I guess.
Appreciate 1
Db750278.00
      04-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
While I haven't driven the TT-RS, I've driven the current gen RS3, the old V8 RS5 and new V6 TT RS5, F13 M6 and I've done 130,000km in my C63 over nearly 4 years - it has been my long trip car and I've done many 1000km days in it. I haven't driven the new C63s Coupe but have driven the Sedan.

The RS3 was a great car for a bit of a trash around corners and hilarious in the city with its grip off the line but even driving it 80km on the motorway to the family farm was tedious, by the time I got to the last 20km of corners I was a bit over it and I felt like I'd been driving for 6 hours.

As far as I can tell the TT-RS is setup harder and more focused than the RS3 so I suspect it will be even further in that direction and absolutely not a GT car.

I only drove the new RS5 for about half an hour, it seemed quite a bit lighter on its feet for direction changes compared to the old V8 one and the midrange shove was great, the engine feels similar to an M6 in power delivery but about 20% down which is what you'd expect when looking at the figures and engine capacity.

Even though the RS5 has a new interior and it quite a bit more modern than the M6 I didn't think it was a special place due to the plastic everywhere. Other than that and the small fuel tank it is a great cruiser and nowhere near as twitchy as the RS3 or the M4.

I think it is the best combination of daily and GT, it also isn't as big as the M6, the extra width of the M6 is something I don't enjoy on small roads.

I haven't driven the new 9 speed C63s (I don't even think they are available yet) but I'm really disappointed with Mercedes not moving forward with their transmission and while the dash looks fancy it also comes across as cheap and tacky in my mind. I honestly don't think I'd spend more on a new one than a last of the last 507.

You could always get an S3 or TT-S for the wife's daily and keep the M6 for long drives, depends how many you do I guess.
Definitely appreciate the reply! I'm on mobile, and as such can't see your reply while typing mine, so hopefully I reply to all your great points!

First off I'll expand a bit on what the car will be used for. For my wife it will be her DD so as long as it's 2 doors (easy to drive) , comfortable, and safe she is happy. For me I will have a fun NA RWD car for weekend (most likely will move to GT3 in a year or so), so having the ultimate drivers car is not a must. I will drive it on evenings to pick up dinner and road trips we don't want to take the truck on which could be 1.5 hours or could be 8+ hours of driving. I also want it to be a car I enjoy driving as I will take it out for fun drives and I think with the turbos, great and unique sound, and crazy 4wd launch it will provide enough contrast to a Porsche to warrant driving occasionally for fun. The M6 is probably the best long distance cruiser for two out there, and I don't expect the TT-RS to match the M6 in that regard, but if it is just down right uncomfortable for long distance that is probably a deal breaker. From my research the base suspension is an adjustable one like we have in m6, and the more sporty suspension (that comes in a package with CCB, CF engine cover, OLED tails etc) is a fixed suspension so we would definitely go with the base suspension in hope it would be more comfortable.

I agree with you on the C63 completely - my two complaints are transmission and interior. The transmission is the main reason I've never owned an AMG. The interior, like many MB and Audi, looks pretty cool in pics, but in person it falls very short.

Really after reading your reply it makes me lean a bit more towards the 507. Even though it is an older package a 2015 MY is not that old and would still be under warranty. Since it has taken the first few years of depreciation it would be a car that wouldn't be too painful to sell a year later if I wanted, and I feel like it will probably hold its value pretty well (compared to other cars in this class many of which depreciate faster than anything). As an enthusiast there is no denying the appeal of that 6.2L, and since I've driven several I know that I love it, so in the likely event we find one hundreds of miles away that is one thing I don't have to worry about. There is also something to be said about being just as happy or happier with a lower purchase price! I have driven a C63 with a transmission tune and that made a huge difference as well, so that would probably be my only must have mod other than possibly removing the decals down the side. The wheels in polished finish are some of my favorite oem wheels ever. The black is ok, but I don't like matte black I prefer gloss, and the white stripe around the outside of them is not a good look either imo.

Of course this decision could be soooo much easier if bmw hadn't made the M4 sound like absolute SHIT! Because in every other regard I love that car and think it's incredible good looking, but no way I can deal with that sound so sadly a CPO 2018 M4 is probably out of the question =(
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #9
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Don't worry, I typed my post while going for a walk Sometimes the small screen is a bit annoying.

To me the reason why I want to go with an M6 next is that it is the only German car with a V8 TT and DCT combination with 4 seats. The S6 is an exception but they are really slow.

What about a 650xi? Heavier and slower than the M6 but you get AWD and it will be more comfortable.

Agreed about the M4. Sometimes I spec up one on the configurator and I'm almost keen, then I hear one and I'm disappointed. I am keen to hear the M2 CS as perhaps it might sound better.
Appreciate 1
Db750278.00
      04-30-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

How much is the used TT-RS you're buying?

I would say for the same price, have you considered a used:

1. 997.2 GRS
2. 991.1 C2S

Same power and weight, better driving dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
How much is the used TT-RS you're buying?

I would say for the same price, have you considered a used:

1. 997.2 GRS
2. 991.1 C2S

Same power and weight, better driving dynamic.
Did you see his sig?

2014 911 Carrera S - White/Two Tone Espresso/Cognac - Aerokit Cup.

That's his car and the wife has the M6
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4984.50
      05-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Did you see his sig?

2014 911 Carrera S - White/Two Tone Espresso/Cognac - Aerokit Cup.

That's his car and the wife has the M6
haha, thanks. No I was on my phone so no sigs show up on the mobile-optimized version of this site. Anyways, I feel like the TT-RS will just be a disappointment if you've driven the 997.2 GTS or 991.1 C2S.

The thing with the Audi though, I have never driven it, but I assume it'll feel "darty" and "high strung". 400 HP is probably the limit of street drivability from a manufacture's perspective on that car without upgrading other parts of the car. So the car will feel very different than the refinement in the 911.

Kind of akin to how the 575-600 HP level achieved at the higher RPMs of the M6 feels really high strung for the M6.
      05-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #13
Cincinnatus
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I can't add anything on the Audi question, but your comments about your memories of your V10 M6 might be worth reconsidering. Yes, the 2nd Gen M6 with a V10 had some issues (understatement) but I'm told the F12/F13 is an entirely different breed of cat, and not likely to suffer the fate of its predecessor.

Might be worth thinking on it and ask some BMW techs or those-in-the-know what they think of the long term reliability of the car before giving up on the old gal.
Appreciate 0