BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-06-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
Volcanic1x
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Convertible

Best ECU tune for my F12 M6?

Hi guys, I could really use your advice. I'm a n00b when it comes to modding. This is my 2nd M6 and I love this car (2014 F12 M6 Convertible) and I'd like to do an ECU tune.

Because I live in California, and this is my daily driver, I'm restricted to 91 Octane, so I'm looking at the best tune I can get for Stage 1.

Here are the things that I'm considering:
1. Active Autowerks - https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...oftware-tuning

However, when I called them they admitted that all of the charting and testing they have done has been with 93 Octane, and I can't get that... and they indicated that their 91 Octane charts would be a lot less HP and torque gained.

2. VF Engineering - http://www.vfengineering.com/f10-m5/ This is what I'm currently leaning towards...
These guys have claimed big gains with their Stage 1 HEX Tune on 91 Octane.

3. Mission Performance - https://missiontuning.com/
or https://missiontuning.com/bmw-engine...lash-tune.html

4. BPM Sport's Performance Engine Software - http://www.bpmsport.com/services/tun...l?options=cart

5. ESS Tuning's S63TU Stage 1 E-Flash http://esstuning.com/s63tu-stage-1-e...-ecu-software/

6. Evolve seems to also have a decent tune; but they are located in the UK, so that is not a convenient option for me.

------2/8/18 Edit: I'm no longer considering the below piggyback upgrades -- research shows they do not compare
Piggy1: Active Autowerks Active-8 https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...-active-8-tune ... OR

Piggy2. JB4 (Burgertuning) http://www.burgertuning.com/s63tu_m5_m6_bmw_jb4.html (but I doubt they were using 91 Octane).

What I'm hoping for is a build that would give me 90+ hp and 90+ ft.lb. torque increases on a stage 1 on 91 Octane.

Lastly, I'd like to keep the bill under (or around $1,500).

Thanks in advance for your more informed advice!

p.s. I know that Bootmod3 https://www.protuningfreaks.com/prod...6-x5m-x6m-beta exists... but that looks like it may require a lot more knowledge than I have. I'm looking for more of a install and forget solution.
p.p.s. It would also be great if a tuner would throw in a free Dyno testing (3 pulls); (Not Dyno tuning, I realize that costs more)...
Attached Images

Last edited by Volcanic1x; 02-08-2018 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #2
Volcanic1x
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M6 Convertible

Anyone do a stage 1, 91 Octane tune on their M6?

If you have, please let me know which one you chose, why you chose it, and how it has been. I really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
bleunetizen
Private
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

I too am looking for a tune, did not like the idea of sending my stock ecu away so I held off until now but the obd2 option is finally available.

I am only after a Stage 1 tune because I don't like the smell of de-catted cars. I have access to 93 octane though.

To add to your list, Evolve does OBD2 tune also. These guys seem to spend quite a bit of time making themselves known for their activities - attends vmax200 and etc. And they seem more active on forums. Not sure if their tune is good or not - the thing is that M5/M6 are so rare compared to M3/M4 and it is hard to find much user reviews about anything.

IMO jb4 or any other piggyback is waste of time, stock ecu can handle everything, it is best to remap than fiddle with the signal to fool the ecu. They were only popular because obd2 flashing was not there. I'd say stay away from piggybacks.

People with tunes please chime in
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 02:00 AM   #4
dpwracing
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Convertible CP

I did Bootmod3 91 octane and it's a beast! It's not really that hard to do and the PTF guys really help you out in getting everything sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
BB6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 G80

I did Bootmod3/ProTuning Freaks as well and I had a local vendor (as shown on PTF website) unlock my DME and he destroyed it. I had to get a new DME, have it cloned and as of right now I am running the OTS STG2 93 octane and it seems ok, but you will absolutely need to get a custom tune from a tuner registered on BM3 to really get a stable/custom performance out of the s63tu motor. After PTF/BM3 local vendor destroyed my DME, fixing it was basically all on me. My car sat for months because I had to find someone qualified to fix it. BM3 basically put the issue on their local vendor and it was apparent helping repair the DME was not something they were going to get involved with. The reason I am still using the OTS map from BM3 is because I paid for it and the software so I mine as well use it since I have two operable DME's now.
As far as customer service: they respond only through emails, but it is only about their product and answering questions regarding tunes. If you think your going to talk to a person on the phone just forget about it. They will also claim that they are so busy and get back to you when they have the time to. Some emails (what they call open tickets) have quick turnaround responses, some never get answered and some take a couple days to get answered. BM3 seemed like a very "one stop shop" platform and that is why I was drawn to getting it. I do like being able to switch between my stock map and my OTS map. The data logging does have some complications to it that I think they are working out. The clearing codes doesn't really work that well so I bought ISTAD to trouble shoot and clear codes. It does still feel like they are working out some kinks. I can say that when I have received responses from Dzenan and Halim, they have been informative and mostly answered my questions. I did hear that BM3 is having good success on the M3/M4 forum so maybe it was just my experience with their local vendor that put a bad taste in my mouth, so I would make sure that you qualify whatever vendor is listed on PTF/BM3 before you get the unlock done (though I hear now some can do it by OBD instead of drilling so that may help).
I do have to give a shout out to the Tuners who helped me resolve my damaged DME issue because they were GREAT! I had all sorts of questions and each of them walked through everything with me and it lead to me finally being able to use the car as I should have from the beginning. Recommended tuners: Alex with Mission, Mike with BPM Sport and Mo with DME Tuning. They all offered to help me get a new DME, clone it and get me up and running, but I ended up going with Mo because he is a BM3 vendor and it seemed if I was going to maintain using the BM3 platform that I would stay with someone who I could keep in contact with on the platform. I can't say enough good things about Alex, Mike and Mo. They picked up their phones immediately, texted, and were just generally interested in helping me out. Customer service for these guys seems extremely important. Just to clarify, I am not trying to bash BM3, just give my experience because hindsight sucks. I thought I did a good amount of research before taking the path I did, and it may have just been luck of the draw on BM3/PTF vendors, but I am definitely more informed now. If anyone has further questions just PM me. Oh yeah, I forgot one person, ALLMOTOR threw in some help as well, that guy is awesome.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB6 View Post
I did Bootmod3/ProTuning Freaks as well and I had a local vendor (as shown on PTF website) unlock my DME and he destroyed it. I had to get a new DME, have it cloned and as of right now I am running the OTS STG2 93 octane and it seems ok, but you will absolutely need to get a custom tune from a tuner registered on BM3 to really get a stable/custom performance out of the s63tu motor. After PTF/BM3 local vendor destroyed my DME, fixing it was basically all on me. My car sat for months because I had to find someone qualified to fix it. BM3 basically put the issue on their local vendor and it was apparent helping repair the DME was not something they were going to get involved with. The reason I am still using the OTS map from BM3 is because I paid for it and the software so I mine as well use it since I have two operable DME's now.
As far as customer service: they respond only through emails, but it is only about their product and answering questions regarding tunes. If you think your going to talk to a person on the phone just forget about it. They will also claim that they are so busy and get back to you when they have the time to. Some emails (what they call open tickets) have quick turnaround responses, some never get answered and some take a couple days to get answered. BM3 seemed like a very "one stop shop" platform and that is why I was drawn to getting it. I do like being able to switch between my stock map and my OTS map. The data logging does have some complications to it that I think they are working out. The clearing codes doesn't really work that well so I bought ISTAD to trouble shoot and clear codes. It does still feel like they are working out some kinks. I can say that when I have received responses from Dzenan and Halim, they have been informative and mostly answered my questions. I did hear that BM3 is having good success on the M3/M4 forum so maybe it was just my experience with their local vendor that put a bad taste in my mouth, so I would make sure that you qualify whatever vendor is listed on PTF/BM3 before you get the unlock done (though I hear now some can do it by OBD instead of drilling so that may help).
I do have to give a shout out to the Tuners who helped me resolve my damaged DME issue because they were GREAT! I had all sorts of questions and each of them walked through everything with me and it lead to me finally being able to use the car as I should have from the beginning. Recommended tuners: Alex with Mission, Mike with BPM Sport and Mo with DME Tuning. They all offered to help me get a new DME, clone it and get me up and running, but I ended up going with Mo because he is a BM3 vendor and it seemed if I was going to maintain using the BM3 platform that I would stay with someone who I could keep in contact with on the platform. I can't say enough good things about Alex, Mike and Mo. They picked up their phones immediately, texted, and were just generally interested in helping me out. Customer service for these guys seems extremely important. Just to clarify, I am not trying to bash BM3, just give my experience because hindsight sucks. I thought I did a good amount of research before taking the path I did, and it may have just been luck of the draw on BM3/PTF vendors, but I am definitely more informed now. If anyone has further questions just PM me. Oh yeah, I forgot one person, ALLMOTOR threw in some help as well, that guy is awesome.
great post - thanks for sharing your experience.

To the OP - a product is only as good as the vendors you deal with. All the flash tunes are pretty similar. Go with the one you trust will back their product and help if something goes wrong.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
aann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f13 M6 2016

I just flashed my m6 f13 non Comp with HCP halim tune , the tech Support and dealing with him was great .
I flashed my car with stage 1 mild tune on 93/98 Ron/Octane and the car was noticeably fast and felt quicker than stock , my car did 100-200 km/h in 6.2 sec , my best time was 7.9 -8 sec with the stock tune .
he also have more aggressive stage 1 ,I believe I can do 5.8 sec 100-200 km\h with the more aggressive tune.
I have only M performance Akra Exhaust on the car.
Attached Images

Last edited by aann; 02-09-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
frozenM6
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M6 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB6 View Post
Sorry to hear your situation. I also have BM3 and and their OTS stage 1. Been awesome so far. I guess it comes down to the knowledgeable vendor.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Aaron527
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

Just got the ESS Stage 1 tune on my car and its great so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
BMWDriverX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X-Drive

Mission Performance has my vote! I have run piggybacks and other flash tunes on the S63TU, MP has been flawless, great customer service, and produces the most power.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
krashkrieger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

I have a 2013 F12 coupe with 76,000 miles as my daily driver in Southern California. I installed the Racechip Ultimate at 55k. I have zero problems with it run 91 octane and met the guys at the Sema show from racechip they claim 150hp. Honestly I have no idea how much more power but it is a noticeable difference with no error codes. Stock feel slow now. Well I should say I got a drivetrain malfunction a few times but once I put new spark plugs in it completely went away. Not an ECU tune but a very nice compromise. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #12
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

+1 for Alex @ Mission Performance
Awesome customer service, always follows thru with questions, flashing the ECU's, datalogging, remote tuning etc
Best service I have received from any tuning company and I have dealt with many tuning companies on various platforms.
Another thing that stands out from Alex is that he always treats you the same. You get the same energetic and honest help from day 1 to day 100 regardless if you just want to ask a random question about E85 or changing spark plugs to changing a map.

Its worth to mention that Alex offers map switching as well.
Yes Bootmod offers a software program to do it yourself but that does not mean that other vendors are not able to do it.
HCP is same tuner for Bootmod/BM3. He is a great tuner as well. Everything is done remotely and they have a platform of multiple tuners. Personally I wouldn't want some random dude from a forum who claims they know how to tune a ECU to tune a engine. What if you have issues, what are you gonna do ? Track down someone you don't even know.
Stick to HCP, Mission Performance or Active Autowerke has a great flash tune just like VF but Active / VF / ESS are over the counter tunes. Same tune everyone else is getting.
With Mission Performance, Bootmod / HCP, DME..they are tailoring your ECU tune to your vehicle. That is such an important feature that sometimes gets overlooked by all the larger companies with fancy advertisement that they invest money into.
Lots of information out there to review.
Good luck
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 08:36 AM   #13
Mnite_S63
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6, 2010 X5M

Did anyone change spark plugs prior to getting the tube?

Is it required or stock plugs work?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
pcvlee
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Grancoupe SM Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashkrieger View Post
I have a 2013 F12 coupe with 76,000 miles as my daily driver in Southern California. I installed the Racechip Ultimate at 55k. I have zero problems with it run 91 octane and met the guys at the Sema show from racechip they claim 150hp. Honestly I have no idea how much more power but it is a noticeable difference with no error codes. Stock feel slow now. Well I should say I got a drivetrain malfunction a few times but once I put new spark plugs in it completely went away. Not an ECU tune but a very nice compromise. Good luck
How do you like the racechip?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #15
MetZF82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F06 M6

I installed the jb4 piggyback a month ago or so. I like the options in having maps. I run map 1 most of the time which is more conservative and less strianful on the car and if I'm up for some friendly runs map 2 is a touch of a button away with more boost. You also have map7 for race gas.

The negatives being I don't get the increased speed limiter removal and I can't pass inspection in NYS if you have downpipes. However I'm under warranty until 05/2020 so I will get a backend flash by then.

Also increased boost wears down your spark plugs much sooner.
Appreciate 0