BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

01-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #1
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

640GC boot lid & rear camera

When unlocking the boot via my key or fob button, my old F10 used to pop up open with some force. On my new 6, the boot opens a little but doesn't spring open. Is that normal? Also it's a little creaky on the way down when closing. Is there a way to fix that?

Also, is anyone else's rear camera as bad as mine in the dark? I have a long drive that is unlit and in the night, the camera is useless, just an almost back screen. The camera on my wife's car in the same conditions is not as good as daytime of course but still good at night.

Last edited by 325_bucks; 01-26-2017 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
When unlocking the boot via my key or fob button, my old F10 used to pop up open with some force. On my new 6, the boot opens a little but doesn't spring open. Is that normal? Also it's a little creaky on the way down when closing. Is there a way to fix that?

Also, is anyone else's rear camera as bad as mine in the dark? I have a long drive that is unlit and in the night, the camera is useless, just an almost back screen. The camera on my wife's car in the same conditions is not as good as daytime of course but still good at night.
I noticed this on mine before picking it up. They changed the springs and now it opens fully on the button. Done under warranty I believe. Yes the camera is crap in the dark!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

ok well its going in for warranty work on a couple bits next week so will add it on then
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
bravo261
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650

my camera is fully adequate in the dark. grainy as hell of course, but i can clearly see everything around me, so i'd definitely ask them to check on that one. when i say in the dark, i merely mean night time with street or parking lot lights, not in the virtual dark in a rural area or something
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:

the contrast is adjustable. adjust it at night so you can see best then. you will still be able to see during the day.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Everything in the f10 is better....except for looks. My camera always looks like it has some sort of cool blue filter in front of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 05:30 AM   #7
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Ill try to get a snap later, the camera has been very much improved on the newer cars, even though on the earlier ones it was fine
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

I adjusted the brightness and contrast and it's certainly better. My driveway is not very well lit so I have to take that into account. It's better now, not as good as my wife's car but probably how it's meant to be. Will do some more testing though
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 09:18 AM   #9
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPost View Post
How do you change the contrast??? Thanks!!!!
when the camera is on you just use the idrive controller to move down the left hand icons, 1 is brightness and 1 is contrast
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Car's in for warranty work and they've confirmed they will replace the boot struts. Said though not to expect perfection as the boot on the 6 isn't the best even when new?

Also they are replacing the headlights due to the misting which I'm pleased about, and I think they've ordered a repair kit for the seats as there is a bit of a rattle on bumps.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #11
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Car's in for warranty work and they've confirmed they will replace the boot struts. Said though not to expect perfection as the boot on the 6 isn't the best even when new?

Also they are replacing the headlights due to the misting which I'm pleased about, and I think they've ordered a repair kit for the seats as there is a bit of a rattle on bumps.
Well mine works as it should so hopefully the boot will be fine. Interesting about the headlights as mine mist quite bad with actual water droplets at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Well mine works as it should so hopefully the boot will be fine. Interesting about the headlights as mine mist quite bad with actual water droplets at times.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #13
Dandanbmw
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport

Quote:

I had my boot struts replaced when I bought it too. 11 months later they started now and then not opening fully so fingers crossed they stay good for you.
Hope you are enjoying the car
      02-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #14
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandanbmw View Post
I had my boot struts replaced when I bought it too. 11 months later they started now and then not opening fully so fingers crossed they stay good for you.
Hope you are enjoying the car
Loving it! As usual though you get used to the power very quickly, now I need more!
Appreciate 0