BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
AMS640
New Member
3
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: M4 Competition Pack (2016)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London UK

iTrader: (0)

Going from a 640d to an M4... upgrade or downgrade?

Hi All,

As the title states wanted an opinion from any forum users.... pro's and con's please let me know. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
Dandanbmw
Captain
Dandanbmw's Avatar
United Kingdom
149
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS640 View Post
Hi All,

As the title states wanted an opinion from any forum users.... pro's and con's please let me know. Thanks
For feeling special and to cruise about in then a m4 is a downgrade from a six imo as the M4 feels more plastic inside etc.

Such different cars which are both great in there own rights. I'd rather a Six over a m4 5 days a week then have the m4 for weekends.
__________________
Current F13 640d M sport in Ruby black with Ivory comfort seats. Number 23 Bmw to date and counting.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2016, 11:04 PM   #3
ezmaass
Major
ezmaass's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
1,365
Posts

Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Depends on what you value. The 6 is clearly much more luxurious and upscale in quality. The 3/4, including M-variants, are going to be superior performers if you're looking for a more tossable/fun car.

Best bet? Have a DD that pampers you with luxury Monday - Friday, and have a fun car for the weekends. The two will rarely ever be one in the same.
__________________
2017 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe | MSport | Exec Package | Driver Assist Plus | ACC Stop & Go | Adaptive Drive | B&O | Night Vision | Cold Weather | Active Seats
2015 Audi R8 V10 | Brilliant Red on Black | S-Tronic | Carbon Sideblades | Carbon Trim | Full Leather | Sport Exhaust | Illuminated Doorsills | I-Pod | Contrast Stitching
Previous: '14 550xi, '07 335i, '01 325i
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2016, 05:50 AM   #4
BDO
Second Lieutenant
49
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: 2013 640i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Citizen of the World

iTrader: (0)

I looked at the M3 recently, couldn't believe how spartan and low rent the interior feels. It was like sitting in a VW Golf or something.

It will have superior dynamics to the 640d, no doubt, but as a DD I am positive it would be a downgrade. I'd rather look at the M6/M5.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
NINJA59
Private First Class
39
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I think the item you need is the full leather to make it anything similar to the interior of the 6....overall M3/4 you still have the standard 3/4 series interior.

Last edited by NINJA59; 11-24-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #6
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
109
Rep
2,920
Posts

Drives: 2016 F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Up to last June I'd spent more than a year test driving loads of different cars including fast Audis, Mercs, BMWs and a Porsche in an attempt to replace my 2011 640i convertible. Several amongst them were very good cars but whenever I got back in my car I always thought 'nothing feels as special as this'. Ok, other cars I drove were a lot faster and handled better, but the only way to enjoy them was in potential licence-losing mode, whereas the 6 was always fast enough for me and it felt great at any speed or even stuck in a traffic jam.
Upshot was that I went for exactly the same but different. I got another 640i F12 but this time I specced it with Adaptive Drive suspension along with several other goodies including the amazing Driving Assistant Plus.
I got the car in September and although I'm still running it in and I'm restraining my right foot, I'm so glad I went for another 6. The variable suspension modes make it feel like a different car but it still has that glorious interior made even better with the Comfort Seat package.
OP, you have a 640d, why not try the petrol version? I know it doesn't have the torque of the diesel but it's a beautifully free revving engine and it sounds fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
BDO
Second Lieutenant
49
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: 2013 640i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Citizen of the World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA59 View Post
I think the item you need is the full leather to make it anything similar to the interior of the 6....overall M3/4 you still have the standard 3/4 series interior.
Even with the full leather, you still have the dinky, disconnected centre console which feels narrow, cramped and just too econo to be a nice place to spend time in after the 6.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Walt White Coupe
First Lieutenant
Walt White Coupe's Avatar
24
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 2016 Vette
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phila, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Best bet? Have a DD that pampers you with luxury Monday - Friday, and have a fun car for the weekends. The two will rarely ever be one in the same.
I agree!
.

.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
F30Andy
Colonel
F30Andy's Avatar
United Kingdom
538
Rep
2,351
Posts

Drives: F06 640d
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Depends on what you value. The 6 is clearly much more luxurious and upscale in quality. The 3/4, including M-variants, are going to be superior performers if you're looking for a more tossable/fun car.

Best bet? Have a DD that pampers you with luxury Monday - Friday, and have a fun car for the weekends. The two will rarely ever be one in the same.
Could not agree more.

You are basically trying to compare two totally different things.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Jon D
Colonel
Jon D's Avatar
Scotland
109
Rep
2,920
Posts

Drives: 2016 F12 640i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe View Post
[size="4"]I agree!
Like the weekender , what is it? Bet it's not available over here in RHD .
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #11
Walt White Coupe
First Lieutenant
Walt White Coupe's Avatar
24
Rep
355
Posts

Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 2016 Vette
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phila, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Like the weekender , what is it? Bet it's not available over here in RHD .
2016 460HP Corvette, 8 speed paddle shifting automatic.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #12
Frank@work
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: '13 650i xDrive Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fairfield County, CT

iTrader: (0)

So I just swapped out of an M4 lease in August, a year early. As others have said, it depends on what you value. The M4 is a little raw, loud and not especially a comfortable ride. It's quick as hell, but very performance oriented. The 650 I just is very nearly as fast but a lot more "exclusive" and lots better looking - in true Lux GT fashion. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
M6-Coupe
Major General
M6-Coupe's Avatar
502
Rep
5,723
Posts

Drives: M4 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay area

iTrader: (0)

If you have doubt to feel downgrade or not I must have felt big downgrade going from M6 to M4 right? But I don't have that feeling.
IMO the current 6 series is one of the most beautiful BMW even made and M6 is the top of the line with amazing power and all sporty-luxurious features but M4 is a different animal. It's lighter and smaller and more nimble. It's a fun car and to me not comparable to M6 or even 6 series... it's an sport car ... let's say this way... When I jumped to M6 and compared it with my 650i, I felt the sport+ mode in 650i is still more comfortable than comfort mode in M6. And now I jumped from M6 to M4, I feel the sport+ in M6 is more comfortable than comfort mode in M4... Did it help you?
All I could say is to enjoy the ride and life and don't worry about those feelings
__________________
Current : 2016 Austin Yellow M4 6MT
Gone: 2013 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Gone: 2012 Black Sapphire 650i - ZF8
Gone: 2007 Gray Acura TL (Type S) 5AT
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #14
red30xdrive
New Member
6
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: X3 30xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

One car is a revvy snarling thing with a snappy gear box , cheap interior , choppy ride with high maintenance , insurance and MPG the other is a oh so refined and classy 640d LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #15
moff
Lieutenant Colonel
moff's Avatar
United Kingdom
331
Rep
1,557
Posts

Drives: 440i Coupe MPPSK
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nottingham GB

iTrader: (0)

I'd get an M4 with extended leather and leather dash.

Not on par with the 6er interior but not far off.

Advantage of the M4 at least is that there is rear leg room!
__________________
2017 440i Coupe, BSM, Individual Opal White Merino Leather, Individual Leather Dash, Individual Piano Trim, Icon Adaptive LED's, M Sport Plus Package, HUD, Digital Dash, Reverse Camera, Lumbar, M Perf 405M 20" Wheels, M Perf. Aerodynamic Pack, MPPSK

Gone!: 2015 BMW 640d Coupe Imola Red with Ivory leather and 20" alloys
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #16
brad850csi
Captain
81
Rep
617
Posts

Drives: C63 Estate & 850CSi
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Full leather actually includes leather on the passenger side of the centre console and on top of the dash as well as doors. Go to a configurator and pick full leather sakhir vs extended sakhir (but not individual, some countries the default individual is extended and you need to pick leather dash as well)

A full leather M3 or M4 interior is definitely not a bad place to be but the 6 still has a nicer overall layout and feel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #17
M6-Coupe
Major General
M6-Coupe's Avatar
502
Rep
5,723
Posts

Drives: M4 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Full leather actually includes leather on the passenger side of the centre console and on top of the dash as well as doors. Go to a configurator and pick full leather sakhir vs extended sakhir (but not individual, some countries the default individual is extended and you need to pick leather dash as well)

A full leather M3 or M4 interior is definitely not a bad place to be but the 6 still has a nicer overall layout and feel.
This one is SO with MT
well it's extended leather not full leather BTW
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current : 2016 Austin Yellow M4 6MT
Gone: 2013 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Gone: 2012 Black Sapphire 650i - ZF8
Gone: 2007 Gray Acura TL (Type S) 5AT
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:41 PM   #18
AMS640
New Member
3
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: M4 Competition Pack (2016)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
If you have doubt to feel downgrade or not I must have felt big downgrade going from M6 to M4 right? But I don't have that feeling.
IMO the current 6 series is one of the most beautiful BMW even made and M6 is the top of the line with amazing power and all sporty-luxurious features but M4 is a different animal. It's lighter and smaller and more nimble. It's a fun car and to me not comparable to M6 or even 6 series... it's an sport car ... let's say this way... When I jumped to M6 and compared it with my 650i, I felt the sport+ mode in 650i is still more comfortable than comfort mode in M6. And now I jumped from M6 to M4, I feel the sport+ in M6 is more comfortable than comfort mode in M4... Did it help you?
All I could say is to enjoy the ride and life and don't worry about those feelings
Spot on! I'm glad to report I've made the switch and its been awesome so far haha couldn't agree with you more.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #19
AMS640
New Member
3
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: M4 Competition Pack (2016)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I'd get an M4 with extended leather and leather dash.

Not on par with the 6er interior but not far off.

Advantage of the M4 at least is that there is rear leg room!
I hadn't read this when picking up the M4 but also spot on! Thanks for the input and yes I ended up with the full leather
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #20
AMS640
New Member
3
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: M4 Competition Pack (2016)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: London UK

iTrader: (0)

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time out to respond. I know the question may have seem daft to some but I did value all of your input.

I'm glad to report back that I have switched over to an M4 Competition Pack, and its excellent. Very different to the 6er but awesome in its own right. Apple and Oranges really. But plenty of smiles in both !
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 07:44 AM   #21
Dandanbmw
Captain
Dandanbmw's Avatar
United Kingdom
149
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: Bmw 640d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS640 View Post
Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time out to respond. I know the question may have seem daft to some but I did value all of your input.

I'm glad to report back that I have switched over to an M4 Competition Pack, and its excellent. Very different to the 6er but awesome in its own right. Apple and Oranges really. But plenty of smiles in both !
Any pictures of the new beast bud?
__________________
Current F13 640d M sport in Ruby black with Ivory comfort seats. Number 23 Bmw to date and counting.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #22
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
325
Rep
2,826
Posts

Drives: RWD 528i N52
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I am a sporty drive type of guy - id be willing to sacrifice comfort for outright performance, but going from a 6 to 4 is still too much of a downgrade for me. owning my current f10, yet always wanting a e90/f30 in the past due to the nimbleness, i just cant go through such a huge downgrade in the interior department. you'll be second guessing yourself.

What about a 650i?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:10 AM.




6post.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST