06-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5

650 xi gran coupe VIN Lookup

Hi Everyone,
I'm in the market for a 650 gran coupe. I found a pre-owned one that i am interested in purchasing but the car was in an accident at 12k miles but then serviced and sold as a certified pre-owned vehicle by a BMW dealership. The car currently has 27k miles but is being sold for a private dealership that doesnt have any information about the details of the accident. They are telling me it's a minor fender bender but i dont know if that is the case since there is no proof that would back up their claim. Is there any way i can have a VIN looked up to do some homework about the car? The carfax only says "accident" but doesnt provide any further detail. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #2
thejsn
Rep
Drives: BMW

Unfortunately the carfax/carproof will only show that it had an accident. I know carproof shows the amount of the damage which can sometimes tell you that a $15k repair was not just a minor fender bender. Repairs on these cars are pricey so even a $6k claim could be minimal damage. The one thing I always struggle with is if the car got a decent knock did it cause minor damage to the frame that will unravel itself as the car gets older. Good luck in your decision. I struggled a long time looking for a pre-owned and decided to rule out any "accident" cars for just for the peace of mind, I would always wonder/worry. But thats just me. The last consideration is if you do decide to trade it, you will get less for it because of the accident record, then again you probably will buy it cheaper because of the accident so that part might balance out. But dealers can be nasty if the car has a stain they'll use it to give you less on your trade.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
If the repairs were done at a BMW dealership any dealer can look it up and tell you line by line exactly what was repaired as well as the vehicle's entire service history.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #4
Brooke
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpina B6. Blue/Marino

Would BMW have taken it on as CPO if the accident was bad ...
Appreciate 0