BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

05-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6 Coupe

Wind is out of my sails

I was rear ended tonight while sitting at a stoplight.

Car will need some repairs, but the value is basically worthless now. I am beyond hacked off. Seems petty, but a very expensive car is now impossible to sell at a decent price.

Wouldn't be as big of a deal, except that I only keep cars a year or two at the most.

Anyone had any dealings with getting "diminished value" in a situation like this?

Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

20" ADV.1 5.0 MV1SL with Pirelli Pzero's
Custom Painted Grill, side markers and tinted front reflectors, Dinan Stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about this man. Being rear-ended is bullshit. I feel your pain.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Sorry my friend. I had similar experience 2 years ago with my first 650i. it was hit and run. I had BMW repaired my car and after 18 months of lease I traded in with a 2013 model. I traded my car for 60K while I owed 66K to pay it off. It was 6K up side down, but instead, I got 7K off MSRP on new car . So I think you have to have this car for another year or two and then traded in with new one. I just recommend you to let your BMW dealer takes care of repair. Don't worry and don't bother yourself. still it's a beast
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #4
M5DDS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 (In Production)

I was rear ended at an intersection while driving my 2013 M5 last year. There was only a small crack in the bumper from the collision. Shortly after, I ran over a truck tire on the highway which completely bent the front bumper. I traded it in "as is" without fixing the vehicle in Aug 2013 for an X5 M. The dealership only gave me 60k for it after negotiations. The trade in/resale value for any M vehicle with a damage report is terrible. Sorry man.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Hunter5179
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Damn I just saw this. Sorry about that. How bad is it? Any pics?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #6
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Getting rear ended is one of the most frustrating things that can happen on the road, and it seems like it's becoming even more common now that people keep texting or staring at their phone's screen while driving. I've made a habit of throwing my phone in the compartment where the phone cradle is as soon as I get in the car (even though I don't use a cradle) just so that no one could ever blame me for being an idiot and rear ending someone.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
JimM6GC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC; '16 B6

You may wish to consult with a local attorney to see if diminished value is an element of damages that can be recovered from the other driver or his/her insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
Getting rear ended is one of the most frustrating things that can happen on the road, and it seems like it's becoming even more common now that people keep texting or staring at their phone's screen while driving. I've made a habit of throwing my phone in the compartment where the phone cradle is as soon as I get in the car (even though I don't use a cradle) just so that no one could ever blame me for being an idiot and rear ending someone.
Anyone caught "Texting" here in the UK, will be in BIG trouble, 6 points and big fines and if they cause an accident could be a prison sentence. How can this be allowed?.
      05-24-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5
Quote:
Anyone caught "Texting" here in the UK, will be in BIG trouble, 6 points and big fines and if they cause an accident could be a prison sentence. How can this be allowed?.
It's not allowed here either but it happens very often. I guess it's because is very difficult for the authorities to monitor and in the event of an accident it would be difficult to prove that texting was the cause. It's becoming a real problem.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
mr-karim
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 (Fully Modded)

Very sorry to hear man, how bad is the damage?

"The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive." - Coco Chanel.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

If it is cosmetic and not mechanical or structural and repaired properly the value doesnt take as big a hit. Let us know what happened exactly

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

I too am peed off for you, but if it's only small bodywork damage surely it would not be reported as serious if at all would it?.
Here in the UK only very serious damage would logged to the vehicle.
      05-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5
I too am peed off for you, but if it's only small bodywork damage surely it would not be reported as serious if at all would it?.
Here in the UK only very serious damage would logged to the vehicle.
Any kind of accident is reported. I had a car 4 years ago that was scraped in the driver's side corner of the rear bumper by someone who apparently was as good at parking as fish are at flying. The idiot was so smart he left his car parked in the spot next to mine even after hitting it. He had my paint scraped all over his passenger side door. Filed a police report and an insurance claim and it showed up as "Vehicle was in an accident" in the vehicle history report. Whoever read that in the report could easily assume the car was side swiped at 100mph.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At first glance, it doesn't appear to be too bad. Rear bumper, reverse lights, license plate, license plate frame and exhaust tips are the easy items to identify. My car was pushed about 2-3 ft with the brakes on, so I am worried about flat spots in the brand new Michelin PSS. Beyond that, who knows.

I won't post any pics until the whole thing is resolved.

As most of you know... Diminished Value is a REAL threat to a wrecked car like this. I don't want to screw anyone, but I don't want to get screwed by an insurance company. It certainly isn't my fault that the insurance company's insured driver negligently ran into me, hurting my property.

I wouldn't and I would bet that MANY, if not all of you, would not buy a vehicle with a Car Fax wreck history, You just never know the extent of the damage. I have passed on many cars over the years, solely due to the accident, even if it were documented and the minor AND a great buy.

I am sure the car is fine, BUT, it isn't what I bought and it isn't what I owned prior to the accident. I just want to be compensated for what it was worth before the accident and what it is worth now. I still lose, because I can't replace it for what it was worth before the accident. But at least it takes the majority of the sting away.

I will keep everyone updated as it progresses.

FYI, there will be a 2013 SG M6 coupe with 4500 miles for sale soon

It will have fully documented pics of the repairs.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 01:56 AM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF12M6 View Post
At first glance, it doesn't appear to be too bad. Rear bumper, reverse lights, license plate, license plate frame and exhaust tips are the easy items to identify. My car was pushed about 2-3 ft with the brakes on, so I am worried about flat spots in the brand new Michelin PSS. Beyond that, who knows.

I won't post any pics until the whole thing is resolved.

As most of you know... Diminished Value is a REAL threat to a wrecked car like this. I don't want to screw anyone, but I don't want to get screwed by an insurance company. It certainly isn't my fault that the insurance company's insured driver negligently ran into me, hurting my property.

I wouldn't and I would bet that MANY, if not all of you, would not buy a vehicle with a Car Fax wreck history, You just never know the extent of the damage. I have passed on many cars over the years, solely due to the accident, even if it were documented and the minor AND a great buy.

I am sure the car is fine, BUT, it isn't what I bought and it isn't what I owned prior to the accident. I just want to be compensated for what it was worth before the accident and what it is worth now. I still lose, because I can't replace it for what it was worth before the accident. But at least it takes the majority of the sting away.

I will keep everyone updated as it progresses.

FYI, there will be a 2013 SG M6 coupe with 4500 miles for sale soon

It will have fully documented pics of the repairs.
I'm so sorry man. I can understand you better than anyone since I told you that I had similar situation, but what I cannot understand is the fact you explained you car is fine and just some minor damaged and will be fixed! I mean you know it is not a major issue and your car can be run as what it was before accident! in my case my car was repaired after 2 months and after that I experienced so much issues. They replaced the quarter panel, they painted one side completely. They removed all seats to have access to the quarter panel from inside and then they assembled the seats again. After they repaired the car, it was like a rattle box with lots of noise and they could not fix the source of those noises and that's why I traded in. what you explained is just a bumper they can replace with new one!
it's not a big deal.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #16
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A car with a wreck on car fax is worth 10-20% less than a comparable car without an accident history.

I can afford the car, but a $10-$20k hit in value isn't something I want to assume when the accident wasn't my fault. The car isn't fine in my opinion. It is likely "fine" in the respect that it can be fixed, but it isn't "fine" in the respect that is was an un-wrecked, unpainted car, worth more a couple of days ago than it was today.

The fact that I trade them in ever 2 years means I can expect a $10-$15k+ loss in value due to the negligence of another. Closer to $20k if I sell it now, which I will likely do.

Petty? Well, maybe, considering I could have been hurt badly and that it is just a car. But I don't think it's petty when I stand to lose that type of money through no fault of my own.

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #17
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Didn't realise these sort of things had such an impact on resale in the US. So I am completely with you- you have suffered a material loss that was the fault of another and you should do all in your power to recover that loss from them / their insurer.
      05-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #18
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF12M6
A car with a wreck on car fax is worth 10-20% less than a comparable car without an accident history.

I can afford the car, but a $10-$20k hit in value isn't something I want to assume when the accident wasn't my fault. The car isn't fine in my opinion. It is likely "fine" in the respect that it can be fixed, but it isn't "fine" in the respect that is was an un-wrecked, unpainted car, worth more a couple of days ago than it was today.

The fact that I trade them in ever 2 years means I can expect a $10-$15k+ loss in value due to the negligence of another. Closer to $20k if I sell it now, which I will likely do.

Petty? Well, maybe, considering I could have been hurt badly and that it is just a car. But I don't think it's petty when I stand to lose that type of money through no fault of my own.
You are in every way entitled to compensation brother. Don't let anyone tell you any different. We aren't talking about a scuff on a $20k wristwatch, we are taking about significant damage on a $130,000 car which will reflect as a substantial decline in value. There should be no reason for you to have to take the hit whenever you decide to sell the car because of someone else's negligence. However you cut it, the burden of a $15k loss because of someone else's negligence should not fall on you.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2014, 11:23 PM   #19
BTF13M6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are in every way entitled to compensation brother. Don't let anyone tell you any different. We aren't talking about a scuff on a $20k wristwatch, we are taking about significant damage on a $130,000 car which will reflect as a substantial decline in value. There should be no reason for you to have to take the hit whenever you decide to sell the car because of someone else's negligence. However you cut it, the burden of a $15k loss because of someone else's negligence should not fall on you.
The journey begins tomorrow! I go from selling it now to keeping it forever, to selling it now, to keeping it forever…… and so on

Precedence has been set in the Supreme Court and Kansas recognized it as well (Mabry vs State Farm). Sometimes it pays to have attorney and exotic car owners as friends as someone is bound to have been in my situation already.

They have

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #20
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF12M6
Quote:
The journey begins tomorrow! I go from selling it now to keeping it forever, to selling it now, to keeping it forever and so on

Precedence has been set in the Supreme Court and Kansas recognized it as well (Mabry vs State Farm). Sometimes it pays to have attorney and exotic car owners as friends as someone is bound to have been in my situation already.

They have
Don't keep it unless you absolutely want to. If you do, the car will most likely be 100% fine. But it isn't about the car being ok, is about you being ok with the car. You didn't purchase a high end luxury vehicle to torment yourself with it, you did so to enjoy it. If, as a consequence of someone else's negligence, your ability to enjoy the vehicle has been hampered, and you are no longer comfortable with owning it, then you should not be obligated to.
Coming Soon:
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 03:28 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't keep it unless you absolutely want to. If you do, the car will most likely be 100% fine. But it isn't about the car being ok, is about you being ok with the car. You didn't purchase a high end luxury vehicle to torment yourself with it, you did so to enjoy it. If, as a consequence of someone else's negligence, your ability to enjoy the vehicle has been hampered, and you are no longer comfortable with owning it, then you should not be obligated to.
Agree with ever word.
      05-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #22
RiverRunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
It's very common here in SoCal, a lot of bad drivers with no insurance and POS cars. That's the ONLY reason I lease my cars. My wife was rear ended in her 740i when the car was a month old, did over $7,500 damage. Looks like new, insurance paid to have it fixed by a BMW/Merc specialist, even flawlessly matched the Black Sapphire Metallic pair, but at the end of the lease, BMW will get it back.... The person that hit her was driving a newer Lexus SUV, with expired insurance. Took over a year to get our deductible back.
2019 Porsche 911 Turbo 991.2
Appreciate 0