BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

07-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

Painting vs. Powder Coating Calipers

I have been going back and forth in terms of powder coating vs. painting my calipers. I understand powder coating adheres to the calipers much better than painting and will ultimately hold up to abuse better. The problem with powder coating is you are limited in color selection. You can't just say "I want PPG code XXXX" as it just doesn't work that way. I've been to the powder coating place twice and just can't seem to settle on a color.

So I think painting is what I am going with... I've found the color I want which is "Lamborghini Blu Cepheus" and I am planning to have the calipers painted next wee k I am looking for some feedback from people who have painted their calipers in terms of how the paint held up and for how long. Any information is appreciated. Thanks guys!

I am going to paint my RPI Air Scoops the same color. I think it should look pretty good once all said and done.

Here is the color I am going with:

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast

Last edited by bigbrian; 07-17-2014 at 12:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
C's Bimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC,'08 M5,'14 958 GTS

Brian -

Go with high temp paint over PC for the calipers. My bodyshop has been doing mine for years and the finish and choice of colors is much better w high temp paint. I did a lamborghini color on my old stock M5 brakes before I upgraded them and recently had my M6 GC brakes redone a specific color. I then had a designer make me custom caliper decals for which my bodyshop guy cleared over them to make it all complete. Strongly recommend high temp paint and love the look you are going for -- can't wait to see pix!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #3
C's Bimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M6 GC,'08 M5,'14 958 GTS

And the paint holds up perfect! They looked like new 4 years later and never showed any wear.
Appreciate 0