BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      04-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
wanna6
Private
Rep
Drives: .

Question M6 suitable for HPDE?

I was going to purchase a 6 series GC for my wife although when looking through classifieds online I thought about getting an M6 instead of the 640/650i and using it for 3-4 track/HPDE days a year. Each day would consist of 3 or 4 30 minute sessions.

I know these cars aren't made for the track but the CNET review of the m6 GC made me think it just might work. I wouldn't want to buy a dedicated track car for only a handful of track days per year if the m6 can do the job.

I drive a masterati gran turismo sport and even with the performance mods it has I would never want to take it on the track as the front tires wouldn't handle 1 or 2 track days and I'd be replacing the rotors/pads almost just as frequently.

I know the m6 is a huge beast and won't be too nimble. But I'm not looking to have the best lap times just have a bit of fun without killing the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
bigbrian
riding on rails
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2o13 m6 f13

I've taken my M6 Coupe to a HPDE at Hallet Raceway in Oklahoma. It's a bigger car but it held up great and the huge amount of power these cars put down made it pretty damn fun.

Brian
/// 2o13 m6 f13 . jb4 tuned . meth injected . msr intake . 21" adv1 wheels . eisenmann race w/ catless DPs . vorsteiner full aero . accuair e-level w/ bagged KW V3 struts . dinan sways . bel stir+ w/ alp jammer . jl audio subs
/// 2o13 x5m e70 . velos tuned . 22" adv1 wheels . dropped on kw variant3 coilovers . passport 9500ci radar & jammer. gets groceries fast
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
I don't have the GC, but I do have the coupe w/CP, and I am absolutely running it on the track this summer. It's heavier than my old M3, but it's got good grip, good suspension, is pretty neutral in the corners, and I think with all the nannies turned off it will be a heck of a lot of fun I'd imagine that turning with the throttle will be easier than in the M3 since there's ALWAYS plenty of torque, and the HP will make any straightaways a real blast.

I probably won't be the fastest guy out there, but it will be a ton of fun
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
wanna6
Private
Rep

good stuff!

How fast do your tires/brakes wear? Will the stock suspension (CP package) be able to sustain the beating well?

I know the real answer is to test drive myself and find out but based on your experiences will an M6 with CP in comfort modes set to max be comfortable enough for my wife to drive in the city? Is it that much noticeably harsher at cruising speeds?

She doesn't care much about performance and I'm going to have to convince her the M6 is as suitable a DD as a regular 6 series. I only have room in garage for 2 cars and am really gunning for the M6 to be suitable for HDPE as that would be best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
While the CP in comfort mode is definitely not SOFT, it's very drivable in Boston (a city with awful roads and potholes). It's my DD, and my wife loves driving it (although we drive with different settings to be sure).

For HDPE, and summer in general, I'd just recommend getting PSS and not using any all-seasons. Probably obvious, but just in case (funny story about when I'd just gotten my used E92 M3 and did an HPDE on PS AS tires.... ).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
wanna6
Private
Rep

I'm in Miami so we only have two seasons..... Summer and hell!

I assume the stock tires the car comes with will be fine right?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think so? I think it comes stock with PSS? but I got mine used so I'm not certain.

FWIW - flying down to Miami in a couple weeks, looking forward to some warmth and sun!
Appreciate 0