BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      05-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Would You Buy This Car?

Ok so I have been looking to consolidate cars. I have been looking at G37 Sport Coupes 6SPD. The picking are slim around here for the 6SPD there are maybe like 3-4 6SPD coupes in the area and most are out of my price range.

Anyways found one that looked decent, 1 owner, no accidents, interior is in great shape, new tires etc. It does still have warranty until Dec, but here is the big issue. I noticed some weird issues with the clutch and found out it needs a new clutch assembly which is covered under warranty, however I also found out the transmission was replaced on it at 20k miles.

Sooo... there is two ways to look at this. Previous owner couldnt drive worth shit and blew it up after 20k miles. The car now has 40k miles so that shits about to blow any minute. Or the poor guys just got a defective transmission which was replaced under warranty and now lucky me got a transmission with only 20k miles on it for the price of a 40k mile one.

So what are you're thoughts? Personally I'm leaning towards scenario #1.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
If the clutch assembly is covered under warranty have the owner get that done ASAP. Or better yet, why hasn't he gotten it replaced yet? You may have to travel some distance to find the car you want at the right price.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Depends on the price. Considering you can get a brand new bare bones 370Z at a ridiculous $30k, I'd do some new car browsing with full warranty.
      05-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Not really interested in a 370Z though. Kinda tired of the super sporty. Between the Z and the FRS I'm kinda sportied out. I'm planning to sell both take some $$ out for house repairs and buy the G37 which is sporty but still very comfortable and livable for everyday driving.

I actually purchased the G37 at Carmax (yes I know I have never in my life bought or sold a car to Carmax, but believe it or not they gave me a decent offer on the FRS $2k less than I paid for it) knowing I had 5 days to get it checked out. First thing I did was take it to my dealer since it was under warranty and they are the ones that told me about the clutch assembly (which they will replace under warranty when I give them the go ahead) and that the transmission had been replaced at 20k miles.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm lazy. I don't want to fly out to CA to buy a car. And I'm not that picky about colors years etc. As long as its a Sport Coupe 6SPD in decent shape I'm happy. That being said I did look 200 miles around my area and picking are slim. I looked at a 2008 with 60k miles that was cheaper but was beat to shit, dash melting, brakes and rotors shot etc. Then you have a couple at the higher end with almost no miles IPL package and a $35k price tag.

So this one was the best compromise between condition and price, however the only hesitation I have with it is that transmission being replaced so early. I know the engines on these are solid, but the one weak point is the transmission.

Anyways I have a couple more days to decide if I'm going to keep it or take it back....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #5
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I would pass on it. Can't really blow a clutch driving 20k miles, Idk. My car has over 100k and the clutch is still original.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I like your idea but question the G37, there's gotta be something else out there no? To answer the question, no, i wouldn't buy it, car has been driven hard.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah I'm leaning towards taking it back. Right now there is nothing within 200 miles or so of me for the same price in similar condition. Everything is significantly more $$. There was one at a dealer near me for about $4k more 2013 instead of 2012 and 5k less miles. Being that I'm already above what I want to spend I went there to see it and see if they would negotiate. They did not want to budge at all.

Maybe if it sits for a while they will be more eager to negotiate on price. I can still drive the Z for now as I'm sure that one will take a bit more work to sell for a decent price.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I dunno about the engine, I have only sampled it in the EX37 raised hatch and I found it very coarse compared to even the X1's little massey Ferguson engine. It makes decent power but you really have to hammer it as it's naturally aspirated. I dunno, why not try something else?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #9
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Definitely do not want to go forced induction. Most of my cars previously have been turbocharged and honestly after going NA I really have no desire to go back (at least for as long as I can I'm sure everything will be FI at some point).

Don't care for most Japanese cars (except Infiniti for some reason). BMWs are out of the price range for anything comparable to the G37 and just as hard to find in a manual. Plus I really don't want to deal with BMW reliability. Audis don't do anything for me especially since most anything in my price range will be a 2.0T which I don't want and will also have the reliability issues.

So yeah I'm pretty set on the G37. I always see the posts where people ask what car they should get next, BMW, Audi, Porsche whatever. I've honestly never had that issue, I pretty much know exactly what I want each time. The only question is really if I want THIS G37.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #10
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah makes sense. May want to check other states, make a dirty weekend out of it!
Appreciate 0