BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      10-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #23
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
I think I've felt a slight click under my butt a few times over the past week. Part of me thinks I'm imagining it, but I know what I felt. It isn't enough to make me do something about it, but it is curious timing since this thread was started.

My TPMs has been screwing up some as well lately. I think it is most likely due to the recent change in temperature. It is a lot colder in the mornings now than it has been, and the first morning it happenend was the first time it was noticeably colder 59 degrees - down right frigid! I reset the system at the next stoplight, and all of the tires were green again. I'm going to check the pressures manually this weekend, but I think it is more of a change in temp issue causing just enough of a pressure change to trigger something with the system. All four weels were yellow, and I doubt I hit four nails at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe- Manual

I've had the all-four-tires TPMS warning two mornings in a row now- both times temp was below 45. Quite sure it's a temperature problem, not a tire problem. However, it happening 2 days in a row, and the fact that I reset it yesterday, makes me think the computer resets the reset to standard when you turn off the car. Worst thing is the TPMS warning knocks the car into Comfort mode, which is such a PITA with a stick.

On the original topic, my new seat frame came in, and I've got a serivce appointment for next week to replace it. We'll see what the redesign does.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I reset my TPMS three days in a row thinking it was just due to temp. change. When I finally checked it manually, they were all in the 24 to 27 psi range (normal/recommended is 38 psi). The system does reset the current pressure to become the new "normal," so resetting and looking for green wheels means nothing. Seems like a flaw with the system to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
I've had the all-four-tires TPMS warning two mornings in a row now- both times temp was below 45. Quite sure it's a temperature problem, not a tire problem. However, it happening 2 days in a row, and the fact that I reset it yesterday, makes me think the computer resets the reset to standard when you turn off the car. Worst thing is the TPMS warning knocks the car into Comfort mode, which is such a PITA with a stick.

On the original topic, my new seat frame came in, and I've got a serivce appointment for next week to replace it. We'll see what the redesign does.
I'm waiting for parts to come in from Germany; bolster for the driver seat.
I know exactly how you feel as I'm experiencing the same; TPM fritz, driver seat loose & creaky and squeaky. Add injury to existing suffering, the car shakes while coming to a complete stop.

Please share your post-repair results with us, thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #27
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
I reset my TPMS three days in a row thinking it was just due to temp. change. When I finally checked it manually, they were all in the 24 to 27 psi range (normal/recommended is 38 psi). The system does reset the current pressure to become the new "normal," so resetting and looking for green wheels means nothing. Seems like a flaw with the system to me.
Were you getting yellows on all 4 tires? Maybe the wheel/tire combos aren't good with temperature changes, which to me would seem like a pretty bad design issue. I think they should replace the no season run flats with some real tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
...The surprising thing is the driver's seat...

Anyone else experience this seat problem? I know it's generally a lovefest here because, let's face it, the cars are fantastic, but I wonder if this is a one-off problem, or an engineering miss.
I haven't noticed this on my 640i, but my UK dealer has just informed me that BMW have issued a quality enhancement associated with the driver's seat attachment. Mine's being done under warranty next week - I'll let you know the details when the job's done.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenidae
Were you getting yellows on all 4 tires? Maybe the wheel/tire combos aren't good with temperature changes, which to me would seem like a pretty bad design issue. I think they should replace the no season run flats with some real tires.
All four wheels were yellow - until I reset the system, that is lol. That's part of the reason I wasn't as concerned about the warning.

I'm just going to have to start keeping a closer eye on my tires by checking them manually.

What I don't understand though is why can the car be recoded to show psi for each wheel (implying that the TPMS can read a true pressure) but the system goes off of relative pressure and sets a new "normal" every time the system is reset? Seems to me that, ideally the pressure of each wheel would be shown, and an alert would be given whenever the pressure is out of range. Idk...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post

What I don't understand though is why can the car be recoded to show psi for each wheel (implying that the TPMS can read a true pressure) but the system goes off of relative pressure and sets a new "normal" every time the system is reset? Seems to me that, ideally the pressure of each wheel would be shown, and an alert would be given whenever the pressure is out of range. Idk...
Porsche and Land Rover systems both work like that- individual actual pressure readings on each tire. My Mercedes was all or nothing- wouldn't tell you which tire, just that something was low.

And yet, Nissan will tell you when your tires have reached correct pressure.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #31
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dropped the car off this morning to get teh seat fixed. Will report back.

Have to say, the loaner 3 series just seems cheap and rickety by comparison. I realize I am well and truly spoiled now, but I think I'm OK with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #32
X6DB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Dropped the car off this morning to get teh seat fixed. Will report back.

Have to say, the loaner 3 series just seems cheap and rickety by comparison. I realize I am well and truly spoiled now, but I think I'm OK with that.
I've got a 3-series loaner while they take care of a loose passenger seat in my 650, and I couldn't agree more about how cheap it feels.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
laurenxesq
Banned
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & P car

My 650 is back in the shop again for the passenger front seat, and re-check on the driver seat. Can't believe the quality control on these $100k vehicles are so poorly made. Don't get me started on the horror with BMW NA customer service. Had to get an attorney involved to have BMW NA re-assesse the vehicle.

Also experiencing rough idle when coming to or at a complete stop on drive.

Such a shame!!

Last edited by laurenxesq; 10-26-2012 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #34
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, the saga continues. I realize I didn't report back after my drop off before. Good news, the seat stopped moving. Bad news, they did a terrible job of reskinning it. Leather was tight, but all the plastic parts covering the airbags were loose and ugly. I took it to a different service center in June or so last year to fix the plastic bits, and they stripped the whole seat, and then did a very crappy job of putting the leather back on, The back rest looks like a suit someone slept in.

After much back and forth complaining, the official word was to wait, it would stretch itself back out. Dropped it off for regular service this week, and asked them to take a look at the seat again. Guess what- I'm supposed to keep waiting...

I fail to see how, since BMW made a bad seat, and 2x BMW authorized service centers have failed to make it better, that I have to continue having a wrinkled up seat that looks like crap. Somehow it's my problem. Service rep is "comparing with another car."

Annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 06:17 AM   #35
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

If the trim wasn't applied to the seat correctly in the first place, it will NOT correct itself. Trimming and assembling a seat is tricky business and requires a skill set that most mechanics don't have.

What I don't understand is why they pulled the trim off. The lateral movement in the seat is related to a bushing underneath the seat on the front edge lift bar. If they ordered/replaced the entire seat frame to correct this problem, they should have ordered it completely assembled. BMW was trying to save a few dollars and reuse your leather. Now you're paying for it - so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
So, the saga continues. I realize I didn't report back after my drop off before. Good news, the seat stopped moving. Bad news, they did a terrible job of reskinning it. Leather was tight, but all the plastic parts covering the airbags were loose and ugly. I took it to a different service center in June or so last year to fix the plastic bits, and they stripped the whole seat, and then did a very crappy job of putting the leather back on, The back rest looks like a suit someone slept in.

After much back and forth complaining, the official word was to wait, it would stretch itself back out. Dropped it off for regular service this week, and asked them to take a look at the seat again. Guess what- I'm supposed to keep waiting...

I fail to see how, since BMW made a bad seat, and 2x BMW authorized service centers have failed to make it better, that I have to continue having a wrinkled up seat that looks like crap. Somehow it's my problem. Service rep is "comparing with another car."

Annoying.
Call BMW NA and submit a complain. let them know the total days your car was sitting in service center to be fixed. They have a compensation program to pay you some amount of your payment! They did pay one payment for me while my car was sitting in service center for about 6 weeks for a part. try it...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #37
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I had the same issue when they fixed mine back in September. They scraped up a lot of the plastic trim pieces, left gashes on my ///M door sills, ripped the leather of the bottom cushion, and the plastic covers on the seat were hanging on by a thread so I could see air bags. I think there were also some black plastic covers missing in the hinges. They fixed agreed to fix it without me even having to ask, but it was a bit of a mess. They fixed the trim without a problem, but the replacement leather also got ripped when they tried putting it back on. When they refit the plastic on the seat they messed up the fitment of the back cushion leather so the stitching didn't hit the cushions in the right place (specifically, around the side bolsters), and the piece around the articulating shoulder support was also screwed up.

They ordered a second replacement leather bottom seat cover, and they had a guy at a shop that specializes on car interiors refit the back portions and replace the ripped bottom. I still have to bring it back for them to refit the part around the shoulder support.

The portion by the bolster looks okay now but not perfect (I can live with it) . They said it wouldn't look perfect because of wear to the cushion, but I think it looked a little more perfect before they started "fixing" things. Keep in mind, this process has been ongoing since September of 2013.

I haven't had any resistance from my service department. They replaced every last piece that had a defect from their "repair" of this seat issue. Unless the seat shifting really, really bothers you, I would hesitate to allow the dealership to make the repair. And if you do decide to let them do it, I'd mention that you've heard of a lot of service departments butchering the interior in the process so you can make them aware that (a) there have been previous issues, and (b) if they do screw something up, then you've warned them ahead of time. If you gave them warning ahead of time, I'd insist on a brand new seat if they can't get it perfect. I'm sure this screw up has cost my dealership well over a thousand dollars between paying for two new Nappa seat leathers, a new ///M sill, new plastic molding around the door entry, and man hours to an outside shop to have the work done.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #38
ctenidae
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

They've ordered a new seat cover, thinking that replacing it will solve the problem. Since, obviously, replacing it before is something that worked really well. When that doesn't work, and it's all wrinkled, they'll have to replace the whole seat, which is something they should have done the first time.

Worst thing is, by the time that happens, the lease will be up, and they're going to end up with a returned car with a botched interior and a generally unsatisfied customer. Good job, BMW!

I still don't understand why they ever reskinned the seat. I'm pretty sure that no service tech has quite understood what was actually going on, and they're just blindly following the "Choose Your Own Adventure" service manual.

(note, I still love the car, and am seriously considering buying it out, but absolutely won't do that if the seat isn't fixed to my ultimate satisfaction.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #39
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Too bad you don't live in Michigan. I've got guys in my building that have been trimming seats for 30 years.
Appreciate 0