BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-31-2016, 03:43 AM   #1
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

Winter mode time thoughts and feelings...

Well I have got my 17's (yes really) on the GC. My initial thoughts have been actually fairly good.

For Winter use they look "okay", biggest issue is cleaning the inside is a pain the calipers on the front are mm's from the wheel, getting a cloth inside is "fun" to say the least (and the fact BMW decided to wash him despite my orders not to - got all the work done for free after a moan ).

Biggest difference is the ride is amazingly calm though (even for an RFT tyre), downside being the steering is even less communicative now.

Got the Summer 20's all packed up ready for a visit to Lepsons soon, colour decided already as sparkling silver (and prior to my wedding next year so the 6 looks the best for the big day (alongside now needing to do a bit more polishing on it - I will probably do a "few" test panels over Winter)).

Cannot beat riding on 55 profiles!

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Never seen 17's that look this good. Must be like driving on clouds?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
NINJA59
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640D GC and MX5 NC PRHT

I must admit I was surprised at the end result was a "decent" one and not look at those small shopping trolley wheels! Nearly bought the silver versions and in a last minute switch the black ones (which made an extra few weeks wait for them from Germany).

It is like riding on a cloud, flipside is the Winter rubber makes them a bit more wobbly in some turns.

Biggest change is road noise though the car is so quiet on them you find yourself going faster than you expect!

Last edited by NINJA59; 10-31-2016 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

My previous F12 640i came with 20" wheels and I didn't like them from the start (had no choice as it was a 1 year old AUC). The best thing I did was to switch to 18" with non-runflats as it transformed the ride and improved steering feedback. I then fitted winter tyres and couldn't believe the difference in grip and traction.
I refitted the original 20s before trading in the car and didn't even consider anything other than 18s for my new 640i - winter tyres being fitted very soon.
Appreciate 0