BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > Member's Classifieds [6 Series and M6]

10-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #23
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
For some reason, M6s have not held their value well at all. They are great all around cars, but seem to lose 30% of their value in the first year, then 20% of the previous year's value, year over year, assuming 10K mi/year. Hence, as the 2018 models come out very soon, this 4 year old M6 with a $150K MSRP will be about $54K. Next year, will be mid 40's. Year after, mid 30's. The following year, upper 20's. Crazy, isn't it?

BTW, sounds like an awesome car. GLWS.
The only issue with what you wrote is that depreciation is not straight line. At one point, the value of the car will just hold, likely around the mid-30s in about 3 years.

But I agree. 2014s are valued at mid-$50s, next year, expect a $10k depreciation. That, you can bet on as 2018s are still being cranked out. I think by 2019, it'll be harder to predict the speed of the depreciation. I predict likely only a $5k-$7k drop from 2018 to 2019.

I'm using the E6X M5/6 as a gauge. I've also observed similar depreciation rates of the E9X M3.
      10-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #24
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW2015M3 View Post
I don't think people are here because they have less time on their hands so if needed the customer should do their research

That being said, the market doesn't really dictate price for high-end vehicles such as the M6 because they are not being sold to the less privileged

Based on my experience, generalizing is a crime and I am certain if he holds on to his car long enough, eventually he is going to find the right buyer who will appreciate the car and negotiate a price with him to purchase it ...

bottom line, for you....dont generalize ....

While I agree cars like the M6 is not a fungible commodity, ultimately $70k for a 2014 with 40k miles is going to be well out of the average pricing range.

Case in point, list price for <20k mile 2014 GCs are now at $70k. 2015s with average miles are listing below $70k.

Also, BMW of Brooklyn has a '14 GC with CP 45k miles at $58k list. This car INCLUDES CPO too. I've been tracking this car for 2 months. The list price started at $62k. When I called 2 weeks ago, the salesman proactively offered it to me at $1k below the then current list. No sales person has ever offered that to me before without me asking for pricing concessions.

Another example: Back in August, I almost paid $63k (including fees) for a 2014 GC with CCB and CP and 40k miles. Sticker was similar to OP's at $140ish. No lie here, had the docs drawn, appointments made for PPI and everything. At that time, I elected to walk, b/c I only valued that car at no more than $60k. Car was in SF bay area too.

Lastly, OP will eventually find out that likely the mods turn a lot of buyers off. Either no one values the mods or actually see it as a detriment to the value of the car.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-12-2017 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #25
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No idea what people are moving to...there are many options. But even worse than the people "moving to" something else are the lack of inherent M6 buyers. They are great cars (assuming you don't get one of the many electrical and mechanical problem cars). Maybe that's the problem. Few people want one that is close to being out of warranty. Too many headaches. Maybe that's why they are depreciating? Maybe depreciation will be worse when the 8 series comes out? Maybe now that that the coupe (and soon GC) are discontinued, they are considered "has beens"?

I don't know. All I know is I have my eye on a very specific M6! OP, GLWS.
I think the pricing reflects more of the lack of buyers in the market. The cars.com app allows you to gauge rough buyer interest as they let you see a page counter and favorites counter.

It's easy to tell right away what type of cars generate the most interest based on those counters. Many dealers are holding these cars for over 60 days, which is considered long in the industry.

I think main reason people are selling are bc they are all lease returns. 2014s (2013 deliveries) have all rolled out of their leases. Many 2014s show 2 recorded ownerships already, and nearly all of them are out of warranty as of today. I think a lot of people just don't want to own these cars out of warranty.

Also, I'm noticing price compression between 2014 and 2015 models. While 2015 lists are still in the high $60ks, they likely clear in the mid-to-low $60s, and 2014s likely clear at high-to-mid $50s. Back in the spring, 2014s were still clearing in the low $60ks. Basically, the low interest in 2014s is not helping pricing for the 2015s.

I've been tracking 2014 pricing for about a year now in hopes of finding my perfect M6 GC. Sure I can walk into a '14 today based on my budget, but as of today and the price compression, I think I can actually do a 2015 for the same budget and get a car under warranty with updated idrive.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 10-12-2017 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #26
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 alpine white M6 GC

bump price drop, 66 with mods on oem comp 20" wheels and pirreli tires. or 69 with the adv1's and R888R's
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #27
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC BSM/SO

Any interest in selling the OEM wheels and tires??
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #28
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcoll View Post
Any interest in selling the OEM wheels and tires??
I would say yes but if I end up trading this guy in I’ll probably put them back on it and sell the adv1s :/
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #29
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

If you change your mind.....let me know!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #30
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

bump, can separate and put stock competition package 20s back to lower price. offers welcome
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #31
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Quote:
For some reason, M6s have not held their value well at all. They are great all around cars, but seem to lose 30% of their value in the first year, then 20% of the previous year's value, year over year, assuming 10K mi/year. Hence, as the 2018 models come out very soon, this 4 year old M6 with a $150K MSRP will be about $54K. Next year, will be mid 40's. Year after, mid 30's. The following year, upper 20's. Crazy, isn't it?

BTW, sounds like an awesome car. GLWS.
I can't wait to pounce on a late model M6 GC when the time comes for this reason. These are great cars and the price these cars are post 2-4 year depreciate makes it a steal.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #32
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #33
malcoll
Private First Class
Rep

You ready to sell me those 601s??? Want to trade for some black 343s?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #34
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

CL ad with pictures

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/2014-m6-gran-coupe/6393488940.html
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #35
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcoll View Post
You ready to sell me those 601s??? Want to trade for some black 343s?
Not quite yet. Still might trade it in on them, have some one lined up for the adv1s if i go that route though so I’ll keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #36
LI-M5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Ok guy here is my 0.02 cents here lol.....

So ive had 2 f10 m5s and now wanna m6gc , your car and opt's are just what i want mileage is a lil hii as well as price even w the price drop..

Me personally i Wouldn't touch w car if ya gave it to me for free (jus say'n)
R888's and modd's equal diaster for a car of your mileage im surprised you havent gone thru a diff or clutch already !

Don't get piss'd this is just what i would do if i want'd to move the car , since this add started in June and its Nov lmao im assume u wanna def move by now!

strip your shit ASAP , put your comp wheel's as people are looking for comp cars! drop your price on your for sale Ad by 8k so your in the damn range

sell wheels cheep $5-6k i know you prolly paid 8-10k but.. sell you vorsteiner 2-3k sell your power modds 2-3k Right there is 10k + Bang Bang !!

Anyone that knows anytyhing about anything will not even look twice at your car !

Again this is just what i would do.... hope it helps

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:51 PM   #37
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post

So ive had 2 f10 m5s and now wanna m6gc , your car and opt's are just what i want mileage is a lil hii as well as price even w the price drop..

R888's and modd's equal diaster for a car of your mileage im surprised you havent gone thru a diff or clutch already !

Don't get piss'd this is just what i would do if i want'd to move the car , since this add started in June and its Nov lmao im assume u wanna def move by now!

strip your shit ASAP , put your comp wheel's as people are looking for comp cars! drop your price on your for sale Ad by 8k so your in the damn range

sell wheels cheep $5-6k i know you prolly paid 8-10k but.. sell you vorsteiner 2-3k sell your power modds 2-3k Right there is 10k + Bang Bang !!

Anyone that knows anytyhing about anything will not even look twice at your car !

Neil

r888rs have only been on the car for about 800 miles, i don't launch or abuse the car. solely on there because i like the traction and they fit the adv1s very well, prior to them being on it had stock pirellis on it. this isn't my only car, nor my fun weekend car (no reason to rip on it like a teenager) ill get in my 3k whp vette if im looking for some excitement. i cruise it around to outings with the woman (dinners, shows etc) and to and from the gym.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #38
kong24680
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silverstone Metallic F06 M6 Gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace32x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-M5 View Post

Neil

r888rs have only been on the car for about 800 miles, i don't launch or abuse the car. solely on there because i like the traction and they fit the adv1s very well, prior to them being on it had stock pirellis on it. this isn't my only car, nor my fun weekend car (no reason to rip on it like a teenager) ill get in my 3k whp vette if im looking for some excitement. i cruise it around to outings with the woman (dinners, shows etc) and to and from the gym.
Post some pics of the corvette!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #39
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Quote:

As a recent buyer for an 2014 M6 GC I kind of agree with LI-M5.
Unfortunately as a buyer of a $60,000 or more vehicle, I usually assume the worst of a previous owner, unless of course I know them personally.
My criteria were in this order:

1 year of factory warranty left or CPO
CP
Full Leather
Less than 35K miles
San Marino Blue or Singapore Grey

FWIW I paid 59K for all these boxes checked.
I think the problem is that not many people value the mods over their other wants as mods can be installed by the new owners. Buyers can't remove mileage or add factory options easily.
I think you should totally strip the car back to stock as I think you'll come out ahead. I think you'd have an easy sell if you priced in the low to mid 50s and then make some of your money back on parting out the mods.

GLWS
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #40
flaury23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuhandy View Post
As a recent buyer for an 2014 M6 GC I kind of agree with LI-M5.
Unfortunately as a buyer of a $60,000 or more vehicle, I usually assume the worst of a previous owner, unless of course I know them personally.
My criteria were in this order:

1 year of factory warranty left or CPO
CP
Full Leather
Less than 35K miles
San Marino Blue or Singapore Grey

FWIW I paid 59K for all these boxes checked.
I think the problem is that not many people value the mods over their other wants as mods can be installed by the new owners. Buyers can't remove mileage or add factory options easily.
I think you should totally strip the car back to stock as I think you'll come out ahead. I think you'd have an easy sell if you priced in the low to mid 50s and then make some of your money back on parting out the mods.

GLWS
Agreed. I think sellers are looking what other cars are listing for and base their minimum acceptance price on that. However the cars are selling much less than the initial asking price. These numbers are also proven when owners go and try to trade their car in and are shocked how low they value actually is.

As others have attested, you can buy a nice M6GC for late 50s if you are diligent and patient.

I think taking the car back to stock and selling the mods would be your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:32 PM   #41
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaury23 View Post
Agreed. I think sellers are looking what other cars are listing for and base their minimum acceptance price on that. However the cars are selling much less than the initial asking price. These numbers are also proven when owners go and try to trade their car in and are shocked how low they value actually is.

As others have attested, you can buy a nice M6GC for late 50s if you are diligent and patient.

I think taking the car back to stock and selling the mods would be your best bet.
I’ve yet to see anything on the west coast with all the options and packages this one has for sub 65k as of recent. Have had a decent amount of local interest since i made the craigslist posting this weekend. Have a feeling it will move in the 60s, if not though might consider remoding and trading it in. Dealer buy offer for it stock for 57 right now plus the trade in credit I️ would receive on sales tax. Forums just a tough crowd I think on here I think as the east coast and other parts of the country numbers are much lower then up here in Washington for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #42
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
Post some pics of the corvette!
This site for what ever reason never lets me post pictures from my phone. Have a bunch up on my instagram with some videos from recent events aswell. @maloneracing

400 ci, twin gen 2 promod Pte 88mm snails, th400, Motec m150, methanol car. It boogies. Made 2500 wheel on 32#. They’re efficient too 60#s roughly
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #43
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Quote:
I’ve yet to see anything on the west coast with all the options and packages this one has for sub 65k as of recent. Have had a decent amount of local interest since i made the craigslist posting this weekend. Have a feeling it will move in the 60s, if not though might consider remoding and trading it in. Dealer buy offer for it stock for 57 right now plus the trade in credit I️ would receive on sales tax. Forums just a tough crowd I think on here I think as the east coast and other parts of the country numbers are much lower then up here in Washington for them.
I agree that your car is the most well optioned M6GC that I've seen on the west coast in awhile. However, nightvision and CCBs are not usually a must have for buyers. So it really is a matter of finding that perfect buyer for your car at the price that you want. IMO most people would go for a lower mileage/newer vehicle with less options then buy a higher mileage M6GC with CCBs and nightvision at ~$65K. I don't think you are crazy high on your price but you are appealing to a small portion of prospective used M6GC buyers that must have options like CCBs and nightvision. Remember, the longer you wait the more it depreciates
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #44
ace32x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuhandy View Post
I agree that your car is the most well optioned M6GC that I've seen on the west coast in awhile. However, nightvision and CCBs are not usually a must have for buyers. So it really is a matter of finding that perfect buyer for your car at the price that you want. IMO most people would go for a lower mileage/newer vehicle with less options then buy a higher mileage M6GC with CCBs and nightvision at ~$65K. I don't think you are crazy high on your price but you are appealing to a small portion of prospective used M6GC buyers that must have options like CCBs and nightvision. Remember, the longer you wait the more it depreciates
im confident there is some people out there. ccb was on my list for sale when i was hunting this one down and i waited till i found one. in the off chance it isnt, can slap the comp wheels on it and trade it in and get what im after with the sales tax credit and sell off the adv1s
Appreciate 0