BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

02-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Cross post from M4 forum: regarding my M4 -M6 comparisons

Disclaimer: all of the following driving impressions were experienced at dead of the night deserted airport roads (except for the occasional yellow taxi that only perceived me as a black blur in his moment of peripheral vision)

Initially I had said:

Handling: "....... The 6 has a big moment of inertia based on its mass and is not as apt to break away with throttle for correction and has to be thrown into it a little while staying above 3K rpm's else it will plow its way and end up tracking very wide. But the competition package is supposed to be more responsive than the base 6M; I'll report back any findings as I get more into the performance of this beast.

Throttle response: where the 4 has essentially dialed out all essence of lag and then rockets onward as one would expect; the 6 likes to take a huge gulp of air and then holding on tightly is probably a good idea. 575 hp results in a shockingly smooth and steady launch to escape velocity and its cabin quietness fools one into thinking that you're going slower than the speedo indicates. Triple digits are where this thing wants to cruise with little or no effort, seemingly hugging the road as the aerodynamics come into play......."

Well...I was sorely mistaken!!

After putting the M6 into full M mode and all nanny's in off position, I decided to have a little fun and see what this thing could do.

Holy mother F'er!! Throwing it into a relatively high speed sweeper in the numerous outer regions and relatively deserted wide and slightly cambered entry and exit clover leaf ramps of JFK airport at 3 am. (I'm a night owl and tend to play when all else is deserted for safety!); I was able to induce beautifully throttle controlled drifts and exit corrections. The mass of the 6 vs the 4 actually minimized the snap opposite reactions that I'd noticed in the 4. Slip angle corrections under the gentle prod of the gas pedal were reliably constant and reproducible.

Putting the TC back on then resulted in glued to the road handling at speeds I've exceeded only on my Ducati in full knee dragging lean.

The balance of the competition package suspension was extremely stable and the feedback was not as numb as previously thought. The signals of break away are there as in the 4, but the magnitude of the swing of the rear must be anticipated else one can get into serious trouble in a hurry.

Very impressive. I had thought this merely a gentleman's street rod, but now cannot wait to take it on the track this spring.

Sorry if this is mainly 6 related but I thought I'd share it with respect to the 4 experiences.

(Clearly I need to get back to racing very soon!)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Hahahaha this had me lol. I know the shock man, I came from a TOYOTA YARIS. Needless to say- took me some time to finally dare take TC off
      02-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #3
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
Nice! I also have the CP and feel the M6 handles much better and is more responsive than many of the posts/reviews I've read (coming from an E92 M3). It's been winter since I bought it so between freezing temps, snow, ice and now winter tires, I haven't really been able to PUSH it, but I'm very much looking forward to getting it on the track this summer (although I think Loudon, NH is probably the most ill-suited track for an M6) it should be a BLAST.

Duc owner, and knee-dragger, here as well
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSugarSkulls View Post
Hahahaha this had me lol. I know the shock man, I came from a TOYOTA YARIS. Needless to say- took me some time to finally dare take TC off
lol nice upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
Mr.SugarSkulls
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Garage List
2016 BMW F13 M6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo
Quote:
lol nice upgrade
Hahahah just a bit I still have it for whenever I'm not in the mood for attention/people taking photos of me driving while on the road
      02-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hahahah just a bit I still have it for whenever I'm not in the mood for attention/people taking photos of me driving while on the road
That's awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #7
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devondragon View Post
Nice! I also have the CP and feel the M6 handles much better and is more responsive than many of the posts/reviews I've read (coming from an E92 M3). It's been winter since I bought it so between freezing temps, snow, ice and now winter tires, I haven't really been able to PUSH it, but I'm very much looking forward to getting it on the track this summer (although I think Loudon, NH is probably the most ill-suited track for an M6) it should be a BLAST.

Duc owner, and knee-dragger, here as well
NH track should allow you to get almost into 3rs gear!! . That beast will eat that track!!

Good to see another Duc rider. you have great taste in cars and bikes!

I have three now ('09 Bayliss 1098R 246/500, '12 'strada and '13 1199R)
might grab a scrambler ... On the fence as of now
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Nice! I also have 3, but not as exciting as yours! '96 M900 (heavily modified - totally my baby), '05 Multi 1100S, '03 749S race bike. My plan was to convert the 749S back to street legal, in the form of a very stripped down naked rat bike this winter, and the pick up a new 899 for the track this spring. However it's Feb and I haven't started the tear down
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I also have 3, but not as exciting as yours! '96 M900 (heavily modified - totally my baby), '05 Multi 1100S, '03 749S race bike. My plan was to convert the 749S back to street legal, in the form of a very stripped down naked rat bike this winter, and the pick up a new 899 for the track this spring. However it's Feb and I haven't started the tear down
Make it into a real cafe racer stripped to the bones!!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
devondragon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Inspired a bit by this - http://silodrome.com/ducati-749-custom/ although with a few changes We'll see. Also super excited to mod the M6 a bit more
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #11
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Inspired a bit by this - http://silodrome.com/ducati-749-custom/ although with a few changes We'll see. Also super excited to mod the M6 a bit more
Looks pretty sick! I think that's a machine gun mounted up front or a grenade launcher