BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

12-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
You can't run the math that way - there is the cost of borrowing (as well as the tax issue which is state dependent). If you borrowed $99K at 3.9% interest (which I think is the typical lease rate at BMW), your monthly would be $1,818.77. At the end of 3 years you would still owe $40,243 on the car and would have paid out $65,745 in payments.

Now here is the real trick... certain options are basically worthless per the Blackbook. B&O stereo? Probably nothing. Individual paint or interior? $0. However, if you option up the car, those fun options are worth 60% of their original cost. So to me, it ultimately comes down to... if you are going to option up the car, always consider leasing -you have a protection from any downside as well as a guarantee to get residual on those expensive options.

The option thing is very much true. I pretty much put on every option on my 650i and my msrp and purchase price were about the same as the m6 above. The only real difference is that mine is a 36 month lease instead of 39.

In three years this car really will be worth under 60k, especially since there will at least be an LCI by then and it will have 36k miles on it. There are some 2012's right now selling for under $60k, with less miles on them.

There might be a couple thousand dollars difference between me selling the car after 3 years or leasing, but for me that difference isn't worth the time or risk of having to sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
Superfluous
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
You can't run the math that way - there is the cost of borrowing (as well as the tax issue which is state dependent). If you borrowed $99K at 3.9% interest (which I think is the typical lease rate at BMW), your monthly would be $1,818.77. At the end of 3 years you would still owe $40,243 on the car and would have paid out $65,745 in payments.

Now here is the real trick... certain options are basically worthless per the Blackbook. B&O stereo? Probably nothing. Individual paint or interior? $0. However, if you option up the car, those fun options are worth 60% of their original cost if you lease. So to me, it ultimately comes down to... if you are going to option up the car, always consider leasing -you have a protection from any downside as well as a guarantee to get residual on those expensive options.
I still think it ultimately comes down to a bet on the market value of the car. After 3 years, you can trade in your car for X, so the end result of what you paid for 3 years of the car is 112,000-X on a financed car. On the lease, you are spending $52k in the 3 years. So is X, market value of car after 3 years, greater or less than $60,000? (not taking into the account the tax savings on a trade in). I think it's mostly a bet on the market value of the car in 3 years depending on car model, options, color combo, mileage, etc.

Question: Can you easily extend a lease or get out of a lease if necessary? Is it easy/economically feasible to extend the lease for a certain amount of time if you're waiting for a certain car to come out?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Mrrippey
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650gc, 2009 Audi Q5

Garage List
What I do see is the Panamera 4S (a car I considered) is close in price (well 115k) and after 3 years they routinely go for 50% of MSRP. Now do we think the 650GC will depreciate as much....
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #26
RichardP
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 & M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
2013 BMW M6 Gran Coupe  [10.00]
1980 E26  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [10.00]
Probably more.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #27
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

OP you consider an M6 GC? When I was shopping one dealer offered 17k off list on a 125k M6 GC comp. I didnt like the ruby black color and prefer the coupe but those deals are out there....Jeff Kaltman at Rusnak BMW will do a similar deal for you...The payment would be similar to the 650GC with all those options that you are speaking about

Lou
      01-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #28
Mrrippey
Private
Rep

Garage List
LSM,

I never considered the M6GC because I really need AWD and I don't think it's an option. That being said however if an M6 deal is too good to pass up, I'd jump on it because I know it's a badass car. I had a CL500 before the TT so I can deal with RWD but love the convenience of AWD.

Rippey
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #29
Superfluous
Private
Rep

M6 would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #30
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post
Question: Can you easily extend a lease or get out of a lease if necessary? Is it easy/economically feasible to extend the lease for a certain amount of time if you're waiting for a certain car to come out?
You can - normally BMW will extend if you have a car on order. Getting out is a bit more difficult however, it ends up being the same as if you had bought. For instance, on my X6, to get out of my lease 7 months early works out to about what my remaining payments are (because the value of my car at auction is below what the current payoff is) - yet, that would be the same thing as if I had bought it - they are only going to give me auction/black book price and that would be a hit no matter what (mostly cause I have lots of expensive options which are now worthless for trade/auction). In the end, short of trading your lease to someone else (BMW FS does allow this), you are sort of stuck in the car for that period unless you want to pay to get out (There are exceptions however).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrippey View Post
LSM,

I never considered the M6GC because I really need AWD and I don't think it's an option. That being said however if an M6 deal is too good to pass up, I'd jump on it because I know it's a badass car. I had a CL500 before the TT so I can deal with RWD but love the convenience of AWD.

Rippey
The M6GC is one of the most claustrophobic cars I've ever sat in. The lack of sunroof makes it feel like a coffin. To me anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #31
Mrrippey
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The M6GC is one of the most claustrophobic cars I've ever sat in. The lack of sunroof makes it feel like a coffin. To me anyway
You definitely will not like my TT then as it's much smaller than the M6GC and no sunroof but boy it's the most fun car I've had. If the GC is anywhere nearly as fun, I'd be happy.

M6GC doesn't come AWD so unless I get some crazy deal I can't pass up, I'd likely get a 650GC AWD with my options.

Rippey
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #32
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You definitely will not like my TT then as it's much smaller than the M6GC and no sunroof but boy it's the most fun car I've had. If the GC is anywhere nearly as fun, I'd be happy.

M6GC doesn't come AWD so unless I get some crazy deal I can't pass up, I'd likely get a 650GC AWD with my options.

Rippey
Before I moved to SoCal I live in Chicago for years and drove BMW's all winter. I would put snows on the stock 20's and opt for M6GC....way more fun to drive, I am coming from a GC myself to M6 Coupe
      01-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #33
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
As I have stated I never leased until moving to Cali. The key is getting the cheapest payment and most off MSRP as possible. Once you do that, swapalease.com worked for me twice in the last two years without issue. I had a 2012 CLS550 and 2013 BMW GC
      01-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #34
Superfluous
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
As I have stated I never leased until moving to Cali. The key is getting the cheapest payment and most off MSRP as possible. Once you do that, swapalease.com worked for me twice in the last two years without issue. I had a 2012 CLS550 and 2013 BMW GC
Would someone take over a lease that only has a couple months left?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #35
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Rippey
CORRECT - I've sat in one and hated it. Making matters worse is the trend towards dark headliners!

Quote:
Would someone take over a lease that only has a couple months left?
I would! BMW however will not allow a transfer in the last 6 months I believe. Still, if I could find the right car to least for 18 months, that would be perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #36
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I would! BMW however will not allow a transfer in the last 6 months I believe. Still, if I could find the right car to least for 18 months, that would be perfect
Thats exactly how many my GC had that I got rid of on swapalease (18 months)
      01-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #37
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Rippey
You talking Porsche 911 TT? Best car on the planet imo.. I owned 3 diff 997 Turbos...

And FWIW, not clausterphobic at all without sunroof...Never even notice, I dont like sunroofs anyway, they rattle and dont like sun right in my face LOL
      01-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #38
Mrrippey
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
You talking Porsche 911 TT? Best car on the planet imo..
LSM, um, no.....I have an Audi TT coupe

It's snowing here in NJ and took to making some donuts with the TT...I would not dare do that with the GC.....

Rippey
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #39
Advertize
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650ix GC

Hey Rippey,

New to the forums, did you decide on your new car yet? I'm picking up my 2014 650i GC tomorrow morning at my dealer. If you have any specific questions let me know so I can include that with some pics after I take delivery.

Side note, I looked in to all the same cars as you did and went with the above. It's an amazing balance of luxury and performance.

-Adv

Last edited by Advertize; 01-05-2014 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #40
Mrrippey
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advertize View Post
Hey Rippey,

New to the forums, did you decide on your new car yet? I'm picking up my 2014 650i GC tomorrow morning at my dealer. If you have any specific questions let me know so I can include that with some pics after I take delivery.

Side note, I looked in to all the same cars as you did and went with the above. It's an amazing balance of luxury and performance.

-Adv
Adv,

I will most likely get a 650GC xDrive but I will not have all of my loot until next month. Going to start doing dealer research in a couple of weeks. I have yet to find the perfectly optioned car I want (I want red interior and B&O) and that is harder to come by (when I say this, I search dealerships within a 500 mile radius and check their stock). Might even do a European delivery if it has to get built and I can hand out there for a week. My target price after negot. is $90k + tax. MSRP on the car I built on BMW was $104k.

I'll see if I can get that math......

Another option is to get a slightly used one and forgo some options I like but get something in the $80's. These I have seen plenty of. Most do not have red interior and / or B&O.

Leave vs buy I will figure out at deal time although I rather a lease at this point. If you don't mind sharing, what were your final numbers?

Rippey

Last edited by Mrrippey; 01-05-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #41
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Adv,

I will most likely get a 650GC xDrive but I will not have all of my loot until next month. Going to start doing dealer research in a couple of weeks. I have yet to find the perfectly optioned car I want (I want red interior and B&O) and that is harder to come by (when I say this, I search dealerships within a 500 mile radius and check their stock). Might even do a European delivery if it has to get built and I can hand out there for a week. My target price after negot. is $90k + tax. MSRP on the car I built on BMW was $104k.

Another option is to get a slightly used one and forgo some options I like but get something in the $80's. These I have seen plenty of. Most do not have red interior and / or B&O.

Leave vs buy I will figure out at deal time although I rather a lease at this point. If you don't mind sharing, what were your final numbers?

Rippey
Well I have good news and bad news...
The good news is that if you wait another couple of months, the 2015s will be out. My dealer informed me the 2014s stop production at the end of February. That means you probably can get a better deal on the 14s in a couple of months.

The bad news is that what you are looking for is very rare. You best option is to find a dealer that needs to fill up his allocation and have him order you what you want. In addition, your car will be a year old starting March (ok, April when they start hitting our area).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #42
Advertize
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650ix GC

Quote:
Adv,

Rippey
I took the route of looking for a 2014 650ix GC that was already built so the search for what I wanted was limited to two cars in the Northeast (according to my dealer). Mine is a black sapphire, black interior, M sport Edition (comes with a lot bundled), Cold Weather, Adaptive Drive & B&O. It does not have Active Seats, ACC Stop & Go & Night vision, none of which I wanted.

MSRP was around 105k ish (I'll have the set numbers tomorrow, I don't have the paperwork on me) but I believe it was locked in about 10k below MSRP. I did this in December so I also had the $2k holiday credit, lease w/ 10k miles a year around 1.35k /month 2.5k down. If you wait until the new one comes out you may be able to get the price lower but it will be harder to get the one you are looking for. After speaking with my CA, he mentioned that when dealers build cars they tend to include the most common color & option combinations. In your case red interior w/ B&O may prove difficult but you may get lucky. I initially liked the red interior as well but felt I would get tired of it eventually.

-Ad

Last edited by Advertize; 01-05-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #43
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well I have good news and bad news...
The good news is that if you wait another couple of months, the 2015s will be out. My dealer informed me the 2014s stop production at the end of February. That means you probably can get a better deal on the 14s in a couple of months.

The bad news is that what you are looking for is very rare. You best option is to find a dealer that needs to fill up his allocation and have him order you what you want. In addition, your car will be a year old starting March (ok, April when they start hitting our area).
Also FWIW, the 2015 models will be LCI models
      01-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #44
Mrrippey
Private
Rep

Garage List
LSM what does LSI mean?

Rippey
Appreciate 0