BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      01-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
OMLGitzScott
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport Megane R26

Retrofitting TV / DAB

Evening all,

I'm looking to purchase an E63 6 series as an upgrade from my E92 330D.

As I spend almost 20 hours a week in my car, I'm really keen to have the DAB and TV options on the idrive. I've tried to find a well spec'd car with these options, but the cars themselves look like dogs, have high mileage (100k+) or are Cat D write offs.

Therefore I'm considering buying a well spec'd, lower mileage car without the DAB and Digital Free view and installing them myself (or getting a car audio place to do it).

Question is, is this possible?

I'd imagine it's a case of buying the relevant modules (ebay?) and antenna (would the DAB and Free view share an antenna as they both work on the same frequencies, hence why you can get digital radio on a freeview box?) If you add the TV module, would that include DAB?

Then I'd just need them programming by BMW / indy garage with the correct equipment to enable them to work through the iDrive.

Is this part all I would need from BM? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...64&hg=65&fg=95

Am I correct in assuming it's that simple?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

You do realise that you can't watch TV with the car moving? As for DAB you should be able to retrofit it, it will need coding into the car when done though. If you do want TV again it should be straight forward but its whether it can receive digital as older BMWs were analogue. The antenna is a complex multi frequency job that fits in the rear bumper, but there's also an additional DAB antenna near the screen. Its not a simple DIY but its do-able by a few firms in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
OMLGitzScott
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport Megane R26

Yeah, I'm aware that the TV only works while stationary. However, I have also been told there are ways around this.

I found a TV retrofit kit part number. The kid includes everything from the module, antennas, bolts, cables, etc.

On checking with Williams BMW, there are non of the kits in the UK, but there are 4 in Germany. However for £1100 +VAT, labour and coding, it's an expensive jobbie and probably the most expensive TV on sale.

I may keep an eye out for any crash-damaged cars and see if I can get the kit off them instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Holy cow that is silly money...
Appreciate 0