BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

M6 Mod Questions

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up my new M6 competition and had some questions. What do you guys think in regards to mods.

(Pics below)

Currently I have M Performance exhaust with carbon tips and m Performance cf Diffuser.

Do you guys know if the flaps would open and close like the M4 (that's what I had before) as it sounds great but it's not as loud as I want. I want to keep the valves open permanently and wasn't sure if it works the same way (ie disconnect the wire)

2. Do you guys know if the M6 has the fake exhaust sound coming out of the speakers? It doesn't sound like it (the M4 was much worse)

3. I'm looking for the black competition side grills if anyone knows where to find those? I can't find them

4. Do you guys think my color combo would look best with the blue calipers or go with gold (I don't want to pose having CCBs)? I love red but it wouldn't look good with Singapore grey.

5. What tune would you recommend that won't break the bank?

6. Would you leave the wheels silver or go black with my color?

7. Do you like the current spoiler or would you go with m perf carbon fiber? I kind of like it but the m perf one is very nice.

8. Leave the stock cats? Does anyone know if the m Performance exhaust deletes just the secondary cat?

Thanks for your help and thoughts!
Attached Images

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #2
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Dude I believe most of the questions you asked are just preference! Depends on what you love... I wouldn't care what people love about my car. Do whatever makes you happy...I recall I would get thump up every day with my SO M6 and now with my AY M4... But let me answer some of your questions:

1. They are the same as M4. If you want to keep them open you can do it either by physically modification (using some aluminum wire) or buying an electronic device like this: http://machtschnell.com/exhaust-valv...vc-module.html

2. Yes there is ASD in your trunk at left side. If you search over M5post or here you can find threads I posted some picture to show how to disable it.

3. Call Crevier or Irvine BMW

4. Just make sure to use right paint because it should be especial paint to dissipate the high temperature other wise the paint will be burned. Do some search here we had thread 1-2 years ago about the best shops. I belive the existing color combo is so nice BTW.

5. I highly recommend Dinan stage 1 ' however your car has already 600 HP.

6. I had my wheels 343M silver all the time. They are gorgeous...

7. With the color your car has, CF M performance does not change the look that much.

8. MPFE does not delete the cats. Leave it the way it is.

My friend I just want to give you heads-up. This monster is a lot wilder than M4. I have 3 years seat time with this monster after 2 years behind the wheel of 650i and now M4 CP. Your car is a real monster ... be careful!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

1. Exhaustmeister.

2. What M6 coupe said.

3. Turner motorsports sells the black side grills.

4. I just got a brand new SG M6 GC and I think the blue calipers work really well with the color.

5. BMS tuning. Just the plug and play unit without the BCM option puts down right around 600whp and 640wtq, hooks up to your phone via Bluetooth with all the gauges and logging. Everything you need and down the road you can always connect the BCM and make power all the way up to and past 700whp with supporting mods. BMS intake also makes the turbos sound intoxicating.

6. Keep them silver or you could always have them professionally plasti dipped in gloss black, have it removed if you don't like it. It's like a temp. vinyl wrap but for your wheels and it's inexpensive.

7. Leave it since you already have one, or get the M one, flip a coin.

8. If anything remove the resonator and install the exhaustmeister. I heard it and it sounds a little louder but still refined. If you got an intake and heard those turbos, you wouldn't want anything drowning out that noise!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:05 AM   #4
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Your exhaust is the best you will put on a car "Akrapovic" albeit called MPE.Flaps won't open until 3k revs as they are "vacuum " operated, mine are wired open which gives a nice note coming off throttle and better downblips.
Allow the exhaust 3k miles to fully break in , then it will sound mega.Your exhaust has no secondary cats, just in the turbo downpipes.

Last edited by melvyn; 03-19-2017 at 04:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvyn View Post
Your exhaust is the best you will put on a car "Akrapovic" albeit called MPE.Flaps won't open until 3k revs as they are "vacuum " operated, mine are wired open which gives a nice note coming off throttle and better downblips.
Allow the exhaust 3k miles to fully break in , then it will sound mega.Your exhaust has no secondary cats, just in the turbo downpipes.
Oh I see! In my M4 I think it had primary and secondary cats and the M perf exhaust removed the secondary only. You're saying the M6 only has a primary cat and the m perf exhaust starts after that correct?

Thanks!

'22 F92 M8 Competition Coupe - Frozen Brilliant White | 8 Speed DCT | Sakhir Orange/Black Full Leather | M Perf CF Exterior Package | M Perf. CF Exhaust | BBS FI-R 21" Wheels |
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 02:09 PM   #6
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Dude I believe most of the questions you asked are just preference! Depends on what you love... I wouldn't care what people love about my car. Do whatever makes you happy...I recall I would get thump up every day with my SO M6 and now with my AY M4... But let me answer some of your questions:

1. They are the same as M4. If you want to keep them open you can do it either by physically modification (using some aluminum wire) or buying an electronic device like this: http://machtschnell.com/exhaust-valv...vc-module.html

2. Yes there is ASD in your trunk at left side. If you search over M5post or here you can find threads I posted some picture to show how to disable it.

3. Call Crevier or Irvine BMW

4. Just make sure to use right paint because it should be especial paint to dissipate the high temperature other wise the paint will be burned. Do some search here we had thread 1-2 years ago about the best shops. I belive the existing color combo is so nice BTW.

5. I highly recommend Dinan stage 1 ' however your car has already 600 HP.

6. I had my wheels 343M silver all the time. They are gorgeous...

7. With the color your car has, CF M performance does not change the look that much.

8. MPFE does not delete the cats. Leave it the way it is.

My friend I just want to give you heads-up. This monster is a lot wilder than M4. I have 3 years seat time with this monster after 2 years behind the wheel of 650i and now M4 CP. Your car is a real monster ... be careful!
Thanks so much for your help! I have had the Dinan tune on my last two cars and loved them both but this one having 600hp already, I don't think it would change much?

Do you know if there is a tune out there that adds on to the competition tune? It almost feels like a waste of money if it gives the same exact gains as a non comp m6 starting at 560hp. If that makes sense.

I agree the blue calipers do look good with grey.

Thanks again

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
1. Exhaustmeister.

2. What M6 coupe said.

4. I just got a brand new SG M6 GC and I think the blue calipers work really well with the color.

5. BMS tuning. Just the plug and play unit without the BCM option puts down right around 600whp and 640wtq, hooks up to your phone via Bluetooth with all the gauges and logging. Everything you need and down the road you can always connect the BCM and make power all the way up to and past 700whp with supporting mods. BMS intake also makes the turbos sound intoxicating.

6. Keep them silver or you could always have them professionally plasti dipped in gloss black, have it removed if you don't like it. It's like a temp. vinyl wrap but for your wheels and it's inexpensive.

8. If anything remove the resonator and install the exhaustmeister. I heard it and it sounds a little louder but still refined. If you got an intake and heard those turbos, you wouldn't want anything drowning out that noise!
Did you disable yours? In my M4 it sounded terrible but I actually like the sound in the m6!

I think I may get those Bms intakes, I keep hearing great things.

Thanks for your help!

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. Exhaustmeister.

2. What M6 coupe said.

I also see the bms intake is under $1000?! How??

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. Exhaustmeister.

2. What M6 coupe said.

Would you get the charge pipes with the intake? What exactly does that do?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
Oh I see! In my M4 I think it had primary and secondary cats and the M perf exhaust removed the secondary only. You're saying the M6 only has a primary cat and the m perf exhaust starts after that correct?

Thanks!
Yes,

The M Perf exhaust for M3/4 kept the primary and secondary cats , exhaust has to be cut which keeps the secondary cats , then MPE is slotted in.
MPE for M6 is a full system which has no secondary cats, the turbo downpipes has the primary cats in them
Appreciate 1
Padfan9806.50
      03-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #11
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

The best idea you can get about tuning is to search tuning over M5post. There are lots of threads and good discusions over there.
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would you get the charge pipes with the intake? What exactly does that do?
The intake is at a great price!

The charge pipes have bungs in them so you can run methanol if you want to get to 700whp+.

I have not disabled the ASD and probably will not. I am going to remove the resonator and install the exhaustmeister next week for some extra sound. Bonus with the exhaustmeister is you can use the garage opener buttons to open/close your exhaust valves.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #13
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The charge pipes have bungs in them so you can run methanol if you want to get to 700whp+.

I have not disabled the ASD and probably will not. I am going to remove the resonator and install the exhaustmeister next week for some extra sound. Bonus with the exhaustmeister is you can use the garage opener buttons to open/close your exhaust valves.
That's awesome! The exhaustmeister is used with the stock exhaust? Or M performance?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #14
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How do you remove the resonator on the M perf exhaust? Wouldn't you have to purchase a replacement piece that is non res? So the exhaustmeister basically just allows you to control the exhaust valves, that's about it right?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

Nice to see another M6 in San Diego. Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #16
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Drake View Post
Nice to see another M6 in San Diego. Welcome!
Definitely! Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #17
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you remove the resonator on the M perf exhaust? Wouldn't you have to purchase a replacement piece that is non res? So the exhaustmeister basically just allows you to control the exhaust valves, that's about it right?
If your exhaust has the valves or flappers the exhaustmeister will work. Just look underneath or into the tips and you'll see if you have them or not. A muffler shop would have to cut off the resonator and weld stainless pipes in its place, you can always have the pipes cut off and put the resonator back in. Something like this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:44 PM   #18
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If your exhaust has the valves or flappers the exhaustmeister will work. Just look underneath or into the tips and you'll see if you have them or not. A muffler shop would have to cut off the resonator and weld stainless pipes in its place, you can always have the pipes cut off and put the resonator back in. Something like this
Is that exhaust on the left the M perf exhaust or stock?

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #19
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is that exhaust on the left the M perf exhaust or stock?
It's the stock. After searching it looks like the M perf. exhaust does not have the resonator in the photo. It does have the valves so the Meister will work! I installed it today, sounds nice down low and doesn't change much up top in the RPMs. I think the with the resonator removed it will sound more like the M perf or close but with the valves open it will be louder driving around under 4k rpm with the valves open.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #20
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Do you guys know if the flaps would open and close like the M4 (that's what I had before) as it sounds great but it's not as loud as I want. I want to keep the valves open permanently and wasn't sure if it works the same way (ie disconnect the wire)

You can have the valves fixed open, it's not a very difficult DIY. You're welcome to swing by the shop if you need help. Here's a video of how it sounds on an M5:

2. Do you guys know if the M6 has the fake exhaust sound coming out of the speakers? It doesn't sound like it (the M4 was much worse)

Yes, the M6 has active sound. This feature can be coded out.

3. I'm looking for the black competition side grills if anyone knows where to find those? I can't find them

Here is the part number for the right side: 51137370395

You'll need the VIN of a Competition Edition M6 to get the side markers that say Competition M6.

4. Do you guys think my color combo would look best with the blue calipers or go with gold (I don't want to pose having CCBs)? I love red but it wouldn't look good with Singapore grey.

Red would look good, you can even go further out there and do white to contrast with the black wheels. All preference

5. What tune would you recommend that won't break the bank?

Bootmod3 is pretty affordable

OR JB4, Bootmod3 is actually a little cheaper and is a full ECU Flash.

6. Would you leave the wheels silver or go black with my color?

Black!

7. Do you like the current spoiler or would you go with m perf carbon fiber? I kind of like it but the m perf one is very nice.

My personal favorite is the Vorsteiner Rear Spoiler:

8. Leave the stock cats? Does anyone know if the m Performance exhaust deletes just the secondary cat?

The M6 only has primary cats, which are found in the downpipe. You can improve sound by adding a Catted downpipe to avoid CEL, or if you run a tune, you can do Catless. Here is a video:

Shoot me a text if you still have my number!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #21
speedracerlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 Gran Coupe

Garage List
If you're serious about a tune, get a real ECU tune. PP Performance Stage I if you want to keep stock downpipes. Stage II for catless DPs.
Appreciate 1
Padfan9806.50
      03-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #22
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracerlo View Post
If you're serious about a tune, get a real ECU tune. PP Performance Stage I if you want to keep stock downpipes. Stage II for catless DPs.
It's all in German! I think it actually does have different options for the regular m6 vs competition package which is cool
Attached Images

Appreciate 0