BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-24-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Can BMW owners use ISTA+ without issue?

Hello All,
I'm about to have our BMW dealership perform a full inspection of our 650i and to check out a few trivial codes, prior to our dropping a third party warranty. Am I allowed to mention that I monitor our BMW's with ISTA+ in case they attempt to say that something was a pre-existing condition? Because none of these codes were present when we purchased the vehicle 8 months ago. They've only just shown up. I don't foresee anything needing to be repaired. The codes just seem to be random codes noting a dirty camera sensor (etc).

Thanks,
Ralph
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 11:42 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I see no reason you can't say you do that. Modifications can affect warranties, but just reading codes should not. It no different than you saying a condition was not present. Unless you have a dated printout or other evidence from ISTA when a code was not there it's still just your word.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
I see no reason you can't say you do that. Modifications can affect warranties, but just reading codes should not. It no different than you saying a condition was not present. Unless you have a dated printout or other evidence from ISTA when a code was not there it's still just your word.
Hello Opie55,
Yes, I have taken numerous screenshots of the ISTA tree since purchasing the vehicle , showing no issues. Otherwise, I have other screenshots showing these issues not to be present at any time over the last 8 months and since purchasing the vehicle.

A gentleman on Bimmerfest states that BMW owns copy rights to ISTA and that any versions on the "street" are bootleg versions? So, that is why I was inquiring. I downloaded the software years ago as provided by one of the prominent BMW forums and then later purchased a copy off the internet from what I thought was a good faith purchase.

Anyhow, I do not want to get any flak from my dealership for stating that I have and use ISTA.

God Bless,
Ralph
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 11:45 PM   #4
peoe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 650 Grand Coupe xDrive

You can just say that you had the car scanned with ISTA without saying who did it.

I’m not sure about the argument that there were no errors 8 months ago meaning that there shouldn’t be any repair. Something is throwing the errors so something is not right.

Usually ISTA will give you a test plan that you can execute for diagnostics and rule out the trivial fixes you are referring to, did you try that?
Appreciate 0