02-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
650i xDrive Coupe - Finally Here

I'm absolutely in love, and I haven't even been able to have too much fun due to the weather and my schedule. Here are some of my first impressions:

The car in general looks amazing: M Sport with Carbon Black (20" wheels), Full LEDs, Black Nappa Leather, Nappa dash with contrast stitching, black ceramic controls, and gray poplar wood trim.

xDrive is awesome. I have been driving on damp roads and through standing water, and if I were blindfolded I would never know about the road conditions. Wet or dry, it feels amazing, and I don't think the extra weight has a remarkable effect on the handling. This thing is amazing in the corners.

Feels closer to an M3 than the convertible version. I'm using the M3 as a bench mark because that is the most amazing car I have ever driven. My test drive was in a convertible (no xDrive or ARS), and it was fine, very powerful, but I did not get that same thrill as I did in an M3. My coupe with xDrive and ARS definitely closed the gap. The 6 is still a lot heavier than the M3, but my build is perfect for what I was looking for - a big, luxurious, aggressive-looking coupe. Not quite as good as the M3, but very impressive given it's dimensions and weight. Note: I had a very limited test drive with the convertible, so my experience with it is limited.

The LEDs are stunning. None of the pictures online do these justice. They are worth the money for their looks alone. However... they are amazingly white, the corner illumination is brilliant, and the auto-on/off is one of my favorite features - tested them last night, and they didn't miss a beat (rain-sensing wipers work very well, too).

Premium Sound (non-B&O): I decided against the B&O because I realized that the main reason that I wanted it was for aesthetic purposes (brushed aluminum, LED, etc.). Very tempting, but $5500 (Premium + $3700) was more than I could justify. I am very pleased with my decision. I have listened to a variety of genres at various sound levels, and I have been very impressed. I don't feel like they made it bad just to make sure the B&O sounded that much better. I think it sounds like a high-end sound system, not whatever was left sitting around the factory. I don't regret my decision at all.

Entertainment: I love iDrive. I was a little worried about getting used to it and becoming distracted, but it has been a very easy transition. I much prefer it over a touch screen (a minor, but nevertheless real, mark against the Jaguar XKR, in my opinion). I am using my iPhone 4S for bluetooth telephone and my old (deactivated) iPhone 4 as an iPod for my music. The 4S stays in my pocket and the 4 is plugged in in the console with the white Apple cable for use as an iPod. This way I get the cover art with the plugged in phone but don't have to deal with cords/docking my real phone that I use for calls. I love the scroll wheel with the display below the tachometer for scrolling through music, but my only complaint with this is that I have to reach over to the CD "skip" button on the dash to skip ahead to another song if I have it playing on random, as opposed to an arrow to do that on the steering wheel. Minor complaint, but just taking some time to adjust from old habits. I have BMW Apps, but not really using it for anything. Updated a Facebook status using it just because I could. Facebook and Twitter aren't that important to me. Pandora may be nice, but I have everything I want on my iPod.

HUD: I love this feature. It renders the speedometer and the main screen nav. instructions pointless. I never look at the speedo for my speed, and I just follow the directions projected via the HUD. They are in my line of sight and easier to follow. Amazingly clear and easy to read both day and night. I did have to buy some non-polarized Oakleys, but small price to pay for daytime use of this system.

Comfort: There is a reason why they have 20-way seats. Sounds excessive, but tweaking every bit of the seat makes a huge difference. Also, the heated seat function is the best I have every used. They get amazingly hot (left vertical red zig-zag marks running along my back after 20 minutes of use). The M steering wheel is very ergonomic and comfortable. It is thick and shaped perfectly whether you are driving aggressively or just cruising. I've never felt so strongly about a steering wheel. lol.

Complaints: Contacts could be easier to navigate. It is annoying to have to sift through my entire address book to find contacts, and the search feature isn't ideal either while driving. If anyone knows a way to create a different list outside of the one that syncs with the phone, please let me know. Switching to the next song when set to random is bothersome since you can't do that on the steering wheel - but it is nice seeing the list beneath the tachometer. The trunk is annoying. It gets points for being huge (relatively), but BMW really should have made this an automatic. It is not the easiest thing to close (without leaving fingerprints) given its weight. It has handles, but they require a bit of force, and I already knocked a plastic reflector/light piece out in an attempt to close the lid. This probably shouldn't be under complaints, but I guess to some it would be... There is no back seat. I am 6' 4", and there is no way anyone can sit behind my seat. I know it is a 2 + 2, but in my case it is a 2+ maybe 1 short person. I really don't care that I don't have a back seat. I'd rather have plenty of room in the front, but there are maybe 2" between the back of my seat and the seat cushion of the driver's side rear seat.

The "complaints" paragraph is kinda long, but I'm really running a fine-toothed comb over the car. I have no "real" complaints (other than the trunk) or regrets. I absolutely adore it. It is fast, handles very well, filled with toys, extremely luxurious, and it is eye catching. In the past two days I've noticed 10 people staring and pointing as I drive by - great unless they decide to run into me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Love your car looks exactly like mine, I wish I would've gotten the contrast stitching it looks amazing on your car!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

WOW! Congrats!

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! I'm thrilled with my final build. Perfect balance (for me anyway) between getting everything I needed to be happy and sticking every possible option on and needing to sell a kidney to get night vision and the Bang & Olufsen sound system.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Congrats on a stunning purchase!!! Ours is about a week away and we can't wait. Went to the dealership today and the clone to our car is on the lot as a demo!!!! It was somewhat overcast and I would have sworn it was black as we approached!! Ours has the Ivory Napa leather interior and all other options you listed. We've ordered 20" Beyern Rapp chrome wheels and will get the glass tinted. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be after all the board comments??

Any plans for the car?? Why the Xdirve?? In Canada all Coupes are Xdrive (no choice here!!! Have fun, we didn't want to get out of the lot car!!!

Ric
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! It is amazing how this thing changes colors. When I first started looking at this car I was mad that I couldn't get a true black with the M Sport (I think that is different in some other countries though), but now I am in love with the Carbon Black and wouldn't have it any other way. I can already tell that it is going to be a chore to keep it clean, but I knew that going into this. I love the look of the ivory interior with any of the trims, but I didn't want to worry about those light carpets with the rain, dirt, etc. - although I'm already finding a problem with gravel and light debris showing against the black carpet. Nothing's perfect, I guess, and at least that just requires a shake in between normal vacuuming.

Not really planning on any modifications at this point. Maybe shadowline since that wasn't available (or so I thought) when I ordered. Easy change later down the road.

I wanted the xDrive for the extra traction, and we get a lot of bad rain here. It's been damp to drenched ever since I picked mine up, and I can't tell from the way it drives. I'll probably never drive it in the snow, but I liked the extra protection of the AWD with this much power. The 40:60 ratio still gives the feel of RWD but a little extra help from the front if need be. BMW did a great job engineering the system. I'm very happy with my choice not to go RWD. I think xDrive + ARS is a great combination. It is great in the corners and handles like it is half its size.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a side-by-side of the same car day and night. Amazing. Direct light really brings out the blue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #8
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Beauty of a car, I was actually driving behind one the other day and was amazed at how great it looked for the rear!
      02-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
thebreadman
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 650i Manual

Southern,

Beautiful car! Enjoy it in the best of health.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
TBB
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 640d GC

Congratulations !! Awesome car and nice combo I must say.
What I really wonder if its back seats have smaller space than E92 3 series coupe or not? I am thinking this car really, but some say its back seats are not for adults and it is annoying me too much....I am driving E92 320d and actually space for the back seats is enough for especially kids, and for some adtults too even for long journeys.

If you can compare it with 3 series coupe Id be happy, even it has bigger whelbase, how come its back seats are not for normal adults? I am 6'02'' btw, hope its really 2+2 car, othwerise I need to leave this amazing beauty...

Thanks in advance..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
Bönz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Congratulations!! Car looks great. I appreciate your comments and comparison to the M3. I currently have an M3 and it's the best car I've ever had including the E39 M5. You review serves as confirmation that I made the right choice. At this stage in my life I am looking for something a little more luxurious and laid back than the M3, without sacrificing solid street performance.

I opted not to go X-drive or M-sport (I already have the M steering wheel on my desk) but I had to have the LED's. Also went with ceramics, leather IP, winter and non B&O premium sound (thanks also for that confirmation). I still have 6 to 8 weeks to wait, but I also still have an M3 in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
RPB1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 Series 640d MSport

Great looking motor I've got 4 to 5 months to wait for mine!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

wow, congrats! m-sport, led headlights, n ceramic controls - so much fuck'n win!!!!!!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBB
Congratulations !! Awesome car and nice combo I must say.
What I really wonder if its back seats have smaller space than E92 3 series coupe or not? I am thinking this car really, but some say its back seats are not for adults and it is annoying me too much....I am driving E92 320d and actually space for the back seats is enough for especially kids, and for some adtults too even for long journeys.

If you can compare it with 3 series coupe Id be happy, even it has bigger whelbase, how come its back seats are not for normal adults? I am 6'02'' btw, hope its really 2+2 car, othwerise I need to leave this amazing beauty...

Thanks in advance..
I haven't compared the back seats directly, but they couldn't be much smaller. I actually think the 3's is bigger. The front seats sit really far back - more than enough front leg room, and I'm 6' 4". The trunk is extremely deep as well. They said they made this car longer to improve back sear, but I think it is just more room in the front and the trunk. Honestly, I prefer this arrangement as I'm tall and am more likely to have luggage than > 1 passenger.

Last edited by southern6er22; 02-03-2012 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #15
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Glad y'all like it. Thanks for the kind comments. I'm completely in love.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Great combo! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Congrats! Nice to see "the other" black color
Driving the 6er is the best therapy one can get

Last edited by Superspeed; 02-05-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Congrats on the car! I've yet to see the M-sport in a color I didn't like. Looks awesome in Carbon Black.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern6er22 View Post
Thanks! I love the look of the ivory interior with any of the trims, but I didn't want to worry about those light carpets with the rain, dirt, etc.
We totally understand. Sat in a lot car with Ivory interior.......... salesman is now substituting the black floor mats for the Ivory ones!! Problem solved.

Ric
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #20
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-4KIX View Post
We totally understand. Sat in a lot car with Ivory interior.......... salesman is now substituting the black floor mats for the Ivory ones!! Problem solved.

Ric
Go individual you get the black carpets but with white seats

Very nice car, congrats
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
Luvnlfe
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z8 & 650i Xdrive

Awesome choices...congrats...many people who get in their cars everyday have no idea what it's like to get into one which you truly love to drive...enjoy every minute...cuz to me it looks like you have every reason to...best
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bump
Appreciate 0