BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
      08-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
siliconvalleyf06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport

To LSD or not?? Please chime in

I have a 2016 650i GC. I am looking to further improve handling and to increase acceleration and grip during launch. Do folks have experience with adding a limited slip diff? The one I am looking at has a shorter final drive 2.81:1 vs stock 3.08:1 to achieve this? Below are my existing mods.

Power:
ER catless downpipes
N63intake.com CAI
Protuning Freaks tune setup for my local 91oct

Handling:
KW V3 coilovers
H&R front and rear swaybars
The Less expensive 20" Dinan wheels with Pilot SS 265/35/20 and 295/30/20.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 01:33 AM   #2
siliconvalleyf06
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 650i GC M-Sport

Bump
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Dcm1952
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 535i Msport, 99 M Roadster

Garage List
If you are looking for a quicker launch, LSD and a higher ratio is what you are looking for. I think the one you are looking at is going the wrong way.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Here's the upgrade you need --> M6 GC.

The 650 GC is a nice sporty grand touring car, but when you start talking about modifications like LSD, downpipes, etc, it seems counter-intuitive to me. It's a really big (physically huge) and heavy (4300lbs?) car. It's several feet too long and about 800 pounds too heavy to be a great handling car.... and while the power is decent (445hp), the weight isn't. The M6 compensates with much more power, a much better suspension, and importantly... better brakes! The brakes on the 650GC are considerably underwhelming for a car that could be driven in a sporty fashion.

In short, I'd avoid throwing a lot of money into trying to make the 650 anything but what it is... a sporty grand touring car with a lot of luxury. Don't get me wrong - I love it. But I'd say it's akin to a Gulfstream jet... very high luxury environment to get you from point A to B fast. But it's not an F-22, and while sporty, it won't maneuver like a fighter jet.

If you want a GC in a much sportier package, I'd just upgrade to an M6 GC. If you want an all-around much sportier, better handling car, I'd move to a different class of car altogether.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Here's the upgrade you need --> M6 GC.

The 650 GC is a nice sporty grand touring car, but when you start talking about modifications like LSD, downpipes, etc, it seems counter-intuitive to me. It's a really big (physically huge) and heavy (4300lbs?) car. It's several feet too long and about 800 pounds too heavy to be a great handling car.... and while the power is decent (445hp), the weight isn't. The M6 compensates with much more power, a much better suspension, and importantly... better brakes! The brakes on the 650GC are considerably underwhelming for a car that could be driven in a sporty fashion.

In short, I'd avoid throwing a lot of money into trying to make the 650 anything but what it is... a sporty grand touring car with a lot of luxury. Don't get me wrong - I love it. But I'd say it's akin to a Gulfstream jet... very high luxury environment to get you from point A to B fast. But it's not an F-22, and while sporty, it won't maneuver like a fighter jet.

If you want a GC in a much sportier package, I'd just upgrade to an M6 GC. If you want an all-around much sportier, better handling car, I'd move to a different class of car altogether.
I almost agree, aside from the fact that if he wants to upgrade to a sportier car, to go with something lighter than an M6 (like an M4). The M6 will not improve the performance THAT much over a 650i as they are both too heavy of pigs to be considered anything other than luxury GT cars.
Appreciate 0