BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

10-04-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 650i MSport CP

Added M6 diffuser with Quad tips

So I thought I would love the look of an M6 diffuser with quad tips, so I wanted to try it on the 650 but now that its on, I don't know that I love it I think it looked better before? I also added some vinyl to the front splitters, and I'm also unsure of those.

I didn't want to go for a full exhaust because I just wanted the more aggressive look and not the additional sound so I just kept the factory mufflers and added 3.5" Magnaflow tips.

Maybe I chose the wrong tips? Idk but to me something doesn't look right. I am thinking of changing it back to the factory Msport diffuser and tips. Or maybe just the Msport diffuser would look better rather than the M6 with these tips?

Idk if I chose the wrong tips, or maybe this setup just has to grow on me.

Before:

After:

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe`

I think the rear end looks great!! I am not 100% on the front.. I did something similar and then took it off and the car looks cleaner without the vinyl up front, I think what we really need is a nice carbon lip for the M-Sport front. I saw on eBay someone just made a nice lip but they sell it with a whole bumper cover and I asked if they would separate and they won't so I'm still waiting for something.. This is the link for the one I'm talking about. If they would just separate the two and charge 5-600 for the lower lip I would be all over it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161437455630...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downfourit View Post
I think the rear end looks great!! I am not 100% on the front.. I did something similar and then took it off and the car looks cleaner without the vinyl up front, I think what we really need is a nice carbon lip for the M-Sport front. I saw on eBay someone just made a nice lip but they sell it with a whole bumper cover and I asked if they would separate and they won't so I'm still waiting for something.. This is the link for the one I'm talking about. If they would just separate the two and charge 5-600 for the lower lip I would be all over it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161437455630...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks man. I do agree with you that they need to make a front lip spoiler for the MSport bumpers.

I think I have to bring my car back into the shop because the welding doesn't look like they did it "clean". Maybe I am just a perfectionist and don't understand, but I think they need to touch it up with some black paint inside there or something. This is what the inside looks like of the drivers side tips. Sorry about the dirt (sand) in the pics, its been raining here in FL and haven't had a chance to give it a wash yet.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Hi. IMHO its the tips. Don't look right. Can't put my finger on it but don't complement the rear the way the M6 ones do. I would either investigate a set of very good tips from someone like Akrapovic or maybe Fabspeed or AWE and also go ahead and look at an exhaust too. Miestershaft makes one I believe that is controllable so you don't have to worry about sound/loudness as much so that may be an option. Quad tips don't look bad but the execution here is what probably has you scratching your head. Take a look at the new Alpina B6 from the rear...its quad tips look georgeous IMHO in the rear valance they did for the car.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...-b6-gran-coupe

Since they all use the same rear diffuser basically that may be an option. However yes I agree that they do need to make a good Front Msport spoiler for the 650's. There are a few out there but you have to look for them.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobc13 View Post
Hi. IMHO its the tips. Don't look right. Can't put my finger on it but don't complement the rear the way the M6 ones do. I would either investigate a set of very good tips from someone like Akrapovic or maybe Fabspeed or AWE and also go ahead and look at an exhaust too. Miestershaft makes one I believe that is controllable so you don't have to worry about sound/loudness as much so that may be an option. Quad tips don't look bad but the execution here is what probably has you scratching your head. Take a look at the new Alpina B6 from the rear...its quad tips look georgeous IMHO in the rear valance they did for the car.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...-b6-gran-coupe

Since they all use the same rear diffuser basically that may be an option. However yes I agree that they do need to make a good Front Msport spoiler for the 650's. There are a few out there but you have to look for them.
I think I agree that its the tips as well. I just don't know what (other) tips to get. I have looked into it and saw the tips that OneEighty design in NY used on the black GC and it looked good in those pics so that's what I went with. They are Magnaflow Part # 35125.

If someone can please point me in a better direction for better tips I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!

I really don't want to spend $2k+ on an exhaust. I just wanted to keep my factory mufflers and just upgrade to the quad tips looks.

If I can not figure this out in the next month, I will probably end up going back to the OEM rectangle MSport tips and MSport diffuser but really hope that someone can steer me in the right direction with better fitting tips.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Not sure about rear... it looks different! But front with vinyl is no good.
The classy appearance of car is gone!... IMO
BTW, I love the vinyl wrap of roof. I had the same plan to wrap the roof when I had my AW 650i M Sport package
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
WWnyc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014. 640 ix Vert

Garage List
Agree with the rest. Problems with the front
Those B6 oval quads are gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
Not sure about rear... it looks different! But front with vinyl is no good.
The classy appearance of car is gone!... IMO
BTW, I love the vinyl wrap of roof. I had the same plan to wrap the roof when I had my AW 650i M Sport package
Thanks, the gloss black roof was one of the first things I did

I'm still debating on this setup, but the good thing is...whatever I do, they are not permanent mod's and can be returned to OEM look quickly
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWnyc View Post
Agree with the rest. Problems with the front
Those B6 oval quads are gorgeous.
Thanks...the front vinyl can go anytime in 10 min.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

I think it's the size of the tips with the M6 diffuser, I have dual 3.5 tips in the M-Sport diffuser and look at the difference.. I think if you went dual 4" it will fill it out a lot better. The tips are also black so they look smaller compared to polished, like the difference between a white car and a black one. Last thing, I think I see rust inside the tip, if you do swap out the tips tell the welder to use stainless or at least galvanized, personally I would just go to a different muffler shop if it is rust.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's the size of the tips with the M6 diffuser, I have dual 3.5 tips in the M-Sport diffuser and look at the difference.. I think if you went dual 4" it will fill it out a lot better. The tips are also black so they look smaller compared to polished, like the difference between a white car and a black one. Last thing, I think I see rust inside the tip, if you do swap out the tips tell the welder to use stainless or at least galvanized, personally I would just go to a different muffler shop if it is rust.
That could also be it, but I didn't know which muffler tips to choose other than yours or the ones that OneEighty designs in NYC used on the black GC. See the thing is, I really was going to spring for the tips that you have, but when you mentioned that you did a muffler delete, I then got these since I was keeping my mufflers. But I really like how your tips look with your MSport diffuser.

I was thinking, what if these tips are better suited for the MSport diffuser versus the M6 diffuser? Maybe the M6 diffuser shows "too much"?
Do you think that if I put back the MSport diffuser these would look better?

I am first going to try and bring the car back to the exhaust shop later this month when I am back in town. The guy said that he would paint the silver exposing parts black that are still exposing the SS on the sides and top around where it was welded. If you're standing to the side you can kinda see where the silver pipe meets the black tips/weld. Maybe it just needs to be touched up with black paint to blend it so it looks like its all one piece. You can see here in the pics below. I also don't think that orange stuff inside the tips is rust, idk honestly what it is but don't think it is rust...at least I hope its not. I was also told that it was tough to put these tips on because our cars have Electronic valve control, so they couldn't push back the tips on the one pipe on each side too much further back without cutting the EVC off.

If after that is done it still doesn't "blend in", I am going to try and put on the MSport diffuser back on to see if it will look any better.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #12
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I think it looks nice, the black tips just get lost in the black diffuser a little.

The GTC I was running has 90mm/3.5" tips and I would not go any larger personally.

You may want to consider a longer tip, regarding the length, so you cannot see the muffler canister outlet and the back side of the tips connection.

Maybe swap the tips for a double walled, polished option that has a slightly longer length.

Pics of the back of my car from install, knew I had some!

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
simoniam
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650xi Conv

Where did you purchase that diffuser?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
I think it looks nice, the black tips just get lost in the black diffuser a little.

The GTC I was running has 90mm/3.5" tips and I would not go any larger personally.

You may want to consider a longer tip, regarding the length, so you cannot see the muffler canister outlet and the back side of the tips connection.

Maybe swap the tips for a double walled, polished option that has a slightly longer length.

Pics of the back of my car from install, knew I had some!

Thanks, yes I do agree that the black tips do get a bit lost in there with the black diffuser. But a lot of things are gloss black so I felt that it was only right that the tips be gloss black as well.

I would consider a longer tip but idk which tip would be a better fit? I am wanting to keep my EVC so maybe that doesn't leave a lot of options for tips. If anyone can chime in would be great.

That backend looks great, cant beat going to a full exhaust. However for me, that is not an option right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I think the problem here is two fold. One your tips are much too short for your diffuser and many have already mentioned. That leads to the feeling that something is missing that others have commented on. They just look too short for your diffuser. Understand you want to keep your EVC. However that may be impossible depending on the tip style you choose. Look around so more and see what fits. Maybe also try Carbon fiber tips to get more contrast from the black rear diffuser or maybe go to stainless steel again. I think black looks fine too but you need the correct tips to make it work.

Another thing I'd consider honestly is a new exhaust. Since you have the M6 rear diffuser on there you could put an M6 setup on there with a few adjustments and they may even work with your EVC too. Otherwise go for a full aftermarket exhaust. Keep your OEM mufflers for an easy swap back. But that may be your best bet here as well. Yes it will also cost you some more funds but then again we're talking about a $100k car too. But it looks like quite a few have pulled it off with the GC rear so I am sure you will be okay.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #16
///M3THOD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack G. View Post
Thanks, yes I do agree that the black tips do get a bit lost in there with the black diffuser. But a lot of things are gloss black so I felt that it was only right that the tips be gloss black as well.

I would consider a longer tip but idk which tip would be a better fit? I am wanting to keep my EVC so maybe that doesn't leave a lot of options for tips. If anyone can chime in would be great.

That backend looks great, cant beat going to a full exhaust. However for me, that is not an option right now.
Quote:
I think the problem here is two fold. One your tips are much too short for your diffuser and many have already mentioned. That leads to the feeling that something is missing that others have commented on. They just look too short for your diffuser. Understand you want to keep your EVC. However that may be impossible depending on the tip style you choose. Look around so more and see what fits. Maybe also try Carbon fiber tips to get more contrast from the black rear diffuser or maybe go to stainless steel again. I think black looks fine too but you need the correct tips to make it work.

Another thing I'd consider honestly is a new exhaust. Since you have the M6 rear diffuser on there you could put an M6 setup on there with a few adjustments and they may even work with your EVC too. Otherwise go for a full aftermarket exhaust. Keep your OEM mufflers for an easy swap back. But that may be your best bet here as well. Yes it will also cost you some more funds but then again we're talking about a $100k car too. But it looks like quite a few have pulled it off with the GC rear so I am sure you will be okay.

You're fine swapping to longer length tips, they will just need to be modified slightly.

The outermost tip, towards the side of the car, is where you can see the tip to outlet union. The innermost side is where the valve is.

I would cut the inside tip down in length and you can retain the EVC functionality, the diffuser would hide this from view.

The outside tip you could leave as is and it would hide the exhaust outlet.

Best of both worlds IMO. Check out these CYBA tips, http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771802

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965389

|| Vorsteiner FF-103 || BMS JB4 || Meisterschaft GTC || RPI || IND || Challenge ||

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 10-07-2014 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #17
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

If I went with tips any longer than these, it would require cutting off the EVC - which I don't want to do. They cut right before it so that I kept it.

I think my best bet is to just wait and get the tips/pipes touched up with black paint to get it blended in more. If I was getting an aftermarket exhaust or if I did a muffler delete then possibly I'd go with CF tips or SS but I think that it's best that these are black and don't stand out too much, otherwise they would look a lot worse if it was SS.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #18
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
You're fine swapping to longer length tips, they will just need to be modified slightly.

The outermost tip, towards the side of the car, is where you can see the tip to outlet union. The innermost side is where the valve is.

I would cut the inside tip down in length and you can retain the EVC functionality, the diffuser would hide this from view.

The outside tip you could leave as is and it would hide the exhaust outlet.

Best of both worlds IMO. Check out these CYBA tips, http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=771802

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965389
These Cyba tips look nice but idk if they are compatible with thr stock 650 muffler. I emailed Cyba and he has no idea. I can't buy them from a seller that doesn't know what cars his product fits on. All those tips are on M5's too. :
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #19
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These Cyba tips look nice but idk if they are compatible with thr stock 650 muffler. I emailed Cyba and he has no idea. I can't buy them from a seller that doesn't know what cars his product fits on. All those tips are on M5's too. :
Cyba told me he does not have any 3" inlet tips. I asked before going with the ones on eBay, he does make some really nice tips, just not in the size we need.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cyba told me he does not have any 3" inlet tips. I asked before going with the ones on eBay, he does make some really nice tips, just not in the size we need.
Well the specs on the Magnaflow 35125 tips are:

Inlet: 2.5"
Outlet: 3.5"
Length: 4.5"

So does that mean that Cyba's tips will fit if these Magnaflow are 2.5" inlet?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
Downfourit
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well the specs on the Magnaflow 35125 tips are:

Inlet: 2.5"
Outlet: 3.5"
Length: 4.5"

So does that mean that Cyba's tips will fit if these Magnaflow are 2.5" inlet?
Those Magnaflows won't fit.. The 650 has dual 3" piping, you would need a reducer along with the tips and then essentially would be a bit of a bottleneck at the end of the exhaust. I would not do that, you don't want to heat things up from back pressure.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #22
Zack G.
Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those Magnaflows won't fit.. The 650 has dual 3" piping, you would need a reducer along with the tips and then essentially would be a bit of a bottleneck at the end of the exhaust. I would not do that, you don't want to heat things up from back pressure.
You say they won't fit, but those Magnaflow tips are the ones that I have on now.
Appreciate 0