BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

11-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Kopex47
England
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport Alpine White 2012

Oil service and vehicle check

I was quoted £320 from Lloyds bmw, with microfilter is this a bit on the expensive side, can anyone tell me if it's about right? I have a 640d f12.

Last edited by Kopex47; 11-11-2017 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

I dropped £540 for full inspection service and MOT, is say your price is about right for dealer prices, you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but on a car like ours is it worth being cheap when it comes round to resale?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Thats ridiculous!

My service pack has just ended on my car. Going forward i'm planning to buy original bmw parts but use my trusted independent garage (vat registered) to fit them. This way the all important warranty is still valid.

If the dealer does a spectacular job every time i wouldn't mind paying more for the dealer stamp however i would argue independent garages have a better incentive to do the job right, first time.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopex47 View Post
I was quoted £320 from Lloyds bmw, with microfilter is this a bit on the expensive side, can anyone tell me if it's about right? I have a 640d f12.
That sound about right, i think you will find the parts are the main cost driver, labor will be no more than an hour so c£120/30 gbp +VAT
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
elvisisdog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 MSport 2013/09

I'm more concerned with showing that the car has a service history of consumables bring replaced, with all this information on the key fob I wasn't sure an independent would be able to register the work done. If I'm honest I'm not sure what real world difference it makes to resale value. As a buyer I'm looking at milage and options spec. If I had two identical cars and one with service history and one without I'd go with the one with the least mileage. I'm not sure the service history would be that important for me, but whoever buys my car it may be there biggest priority.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
I'm more concerned with showing that the car has a service history of consumables bring replaced, with all this information on the key fob I wasn't sure an independent would be able to register the work done. If I'm honest I'm not sure what real world difference it makes to resale value. As a buyer I'm looking at milage and options spec. If I had two identical cars and one with service history and one without I'd go with the one with the least mileage. I'm not sure the service history would be that important for me, but whoever buys my car it may be there biggest priority.
When you complete a service you reset the service light yourself using idrive, the car then saves it on your key i believe. Either way when you go in for warranty work they will ask for invoices / receipts of previous services if it has not been done at a dealer.

My old e90 was serviced at independent and even though i might have forgotten to reset a service light on the car, they really just care if it was indeed carried out at the right intervals using oem parts at vat registered garage.

Personally i would go for the car with service history, better still a car that is eligible for mondial insurance (i.e serviced on time with oem parts)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
Kopex47
England
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport Alpine White 2012

I have decided to go to the dealer for the servicing, it is worth it as best bmw I have owned, last one I had was Z4M coupe and the 6 would not be far behind it for driveability
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisisdog View Post
IIf I had two identical cars and one with service history and one without I'd go with the one with the least mileage. I'm not sure the service history would be that important for me, but whoever buys my car it may be there biggest priority.
This is case of heart over head, my view is buy on condition that is normally linked to its past pedigree, ie good nick = a good carful servicing. I know of many cars with service packs that still have servicing neglected, why would you worry about consumables, thats exactly what they are wear & tear throw away replacement items.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #9
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
This is case of heart over head, my view is buy on condition that is normally linked to its past pedigree, ie good nick = a good carful servicing. I know of many cars with service packs that still have servicing neglected, why would you worry about consumables, thats exactly what they are wear & tear throw away replacement items.
I'm really surprised people don't do the service even with a service pack! That said waiting time to get a slot at a dealership is about a week i've found, even longer if you want a courtesy car.

Cars should be treated like pets, any neglect and you should be banned from ever owning one again!
Appreciate 0