BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #1
ciscospirit
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition (F93)

Unhappy Audible and feelable vibration noise during breaking after lowering

Hello,

i did a car lowering few days ago:
I posted here my KDS protocol: http://www.6post.com/forums/showpost...01&postcount=7

the handling is fine and no warping also with high speed, but if I slow down slightly (also if i do it hard) from 160km/h to 100 km/h the whole car is vibrating and it is also hearable.
I also feel this vibration at my break pedal.
But the steering wheel does not pull.
I also can notice this vibrations by lower speed slow down, but only very little feelable. Hearable it is just at higher speed, and there you hear it very loud.

The dealer also changed the brake fluid after the lowering, maybe there was a problem? or the suspension adjustment? or a not right fitting wheel?

does anybody has an idea what this could be?
some told me, it could be the brake disc but i think this would be a great coincidence directly after lowering, or?

I have on Monday again a date with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #2
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscospirit View Post
Hello,

i did a car lowering few days ago:
I posted here my KDS protocol: http://www.6post.com/forums/showpost...01&postcount=7

the handling is fine and no warping also with high speed, but if I slow down slightly (also if i do it hard) from 160km/h to 100 km/h the whole car is vibrating and it is also hearable.
I also feel this vibration at my break pedal.
But the steering wheel does not pull.
I also can notice this vibrations by lower speed slow down, but only very little feelable. Hearable it is just at higher speed, and there you hear it very loud.

The dealer also changed the brake fluid after the lowering, maybe there was a problem? or the suspension adjustment? or a not right fitting wheel?

does anybody has an idea what this could be?
some told me, it could be the brake disc but i think this would be a great coincidence directly after lowering, or?

I have on Monday again a date with the dealer.
If you haven’t already, start with an alignment. They need to be realigned after a spring install after they have settled.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
ciscospirit
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate650 View Post
If you haven’t already, start with an alignment. They need to be realigned after a spring install after they have settled.
oh okay... as far as I know, they just did it directly after the spring installation. didn't know that this need to be done twice.
I will force this tomorrow again...
what about my first alignment?

it is in german, but here is a quick google translation:

hinterachse = rear
vorderachse = front
sturz = fall
spur = track
fahrachswinkel = thrust angle
spur differenzwinkel = track difference angle
nachlauf = trailing
spreizung = spreading
rad versatz = Wheel offset
Attached Images

Last edited by ciscospirit; 03-18-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscospirit View Post
Hello,

oh okay... as far as I know, they just did it directly after the spring installation. didn't know that this need to be done twice.
I will force this tomorrow again...
what about my first alignment?

it is in german, but here is a quick google translation:

hinterachse = rear
vorderachse = front
sturz = fall
spur = track
fahrachswinkel = thrust angle
spur differenzwinkel = track difference angle
nachlauf = trailing
spreizung = spreading
rad versatz = Wheel offset
Realignment immediately after spring install will get you most of the way there, but it should really be done after they settle.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
ciscospirit
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep

Hello,

Was today again at two different official dealer and booth take a test drive and told me after that the same: my rear disc-breaks are damaged and i should replace it with new onces.

They meant thats normal behavior after 60.000 km, that this could be needed to replaced. They all meant, it can‘t be a wrong alignent, otherwise it would be noticeable by driving too and not just by slowing down...

Tomorrow i know if they would replace it for free or not...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
ciscospirit
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep

Exclamation

Hello,

since I would have had an appointment for the brake change today, I checked my brakes again beforehand and then discovered that:
The wheel hub is completely damaged at the rear. As if someone had ground here, scratched with a screwdriver and hit it with a hammer, so that it was dented and even broken! The spot is about 5 cm long and was exactly between 2 spokes.
Does anyone have any idea how it could come to such a damage? The vehicle has never had an accident and it is simply inexplicable how something like that can happen. This explains the vibration noise now ...

Anyway, have an appointment with the dealer again on Monday and will complain, because that can definitely not happen by itself ...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #7
AZ_Bmw_550
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650i GC

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
That's really bad looking. I wonder if it fell off the jackstand when you had the springs installed. It almost looks like that rotor is completely distorted. Best of luck with a good resolution.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
ciscospirit
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep

yah, i am also wondering how this could happen... but normally you didn't need to take off the breaks for spring installation or?
on monday i know more. i just hope that no discussion will start like "it was already before blablabla..." anyway, also if it was before, at the installation of the springs, somebody had should notice that and inform me about it.

on the other hand, the problem with the slow down vibrations started after spring installation, so i think it happened at the installation. other hand, the installation is 2 weeks ago and the damage looks already a bit old and dirty... hmm...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
Errowen
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i xDr GC MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Bmw_550 View Post
That's really bad looking. I wonder if it fell off the jackstand when you had the springs installed. It almost looks like that rotor is completely distorted. Best of luck with a good resolution.
That's the hub cover. What you can see of the rotor, which is very little, looks fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
Stumpel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6mt

I think whoever installed the suspension owes you two new rear rotors. It looks as if they dropped the rotor onto the hat or whacked the hat with a hammer. I would insist on OEM replacements. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #11
murph914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i Convertible

yep looks like it fell off, or they jacked on the hub to lift and hold the suspension while they installed the suspension. They should replace them with OEM and throw in new pads.
Appreciate 0