BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > BMW M6 Forum (F12 / F13)

03-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #45
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

I'm not sure why anyone thinks the M6GC is more luxurious than the M5. I'm also not sure why anyone thinks that this is a "money grab" by BMW. It's business. They're trying to make all money they can for their shareholders, and if the M6GC does that, why not? dah . . .

With that said, to me, the GC is a styling exercise. We all pay for style or Armani et al wouldn't be in business. To me, the GC's style (and reduced practicality) are not worth it. But that's my calculation. Others' calculations will be different. Good for them. Good for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #46
VegasEgg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i Gran Coupe

Garage List
I'd chose it over the F10 M5 any day! The M6 GC is def one of my favorite Bimmers...I want one in Frozen White! $10k for the carbon ceramic brakes option is pretty reasonable IMO considering the Brembo carbon ceramic BBK is $31k.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #47
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90
I wonder what the profit margin on this is...
Looks like Germany needs extra cash to cover bailouts from their neighboring countries so by raising taxes on the locals the local manufacturers raise prices and pass it on to us.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #48
ppatel223
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10 I3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil335 View Post
I'm sorry but this car is ridiculously overpriced. BMW is getting greedy and losing the point with these stupid markets they are trying to create like the X4, 3GT, starting this 2 and 4 series nonsense and raising the prices it seems every 6 months to a year. I understand that they are a business and car manufacturer but maybe they need to stop worrying about growth and money and focus on better quality and what use to make a BMW a BMW. Just my personal opinion.
BMW is in growing phase at the moment, and their sales speak about it. All companies go through life cycle - start to success to big than back to normal. When their sales topple, they are back to scratching their heads.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #49
GT1281
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330e/F25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatel223
Quote:
I'm sorry but this car is ridiculously overpriced. BMW is getting greedy and losing the point with these stupid markets they are trying to create like the X4, 3GT, starting this 2 and 4 series nonsense and raising the prices it seems every 6 months to a year. I understand that they are a business and car manufacturer but maybe they need to stop worrying about growth and money and focus on better quality and what use to make a BMW a BMW. Just my personal opinion.
BMW is in growing phase at the moment, and their sales speak about it. All companies go through life cycle - start to success to big than back to normal. When their sales topple, they are back to scratching their heads.
I agree their sales speak about it. Their sales numbers are very good but I just think they are losing a little credibility among true enthusiasts and customers with some of the stuff they are doing. Like sticking the "M" badge on everything with wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #50
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduro
Configurator still has some bugs in it, but a beautiful car nonetheless.

Also, looks like MCCB is not covered under BMW ultimate service.
I wonder why
      03-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #51
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 and F32

BMW has to make a jump in higher end product(s) and price to be a truly prestigious brand.
Look at the inventory of your or local dealerships.
BMW tops out at about $130k with M6's and a few 7ers at $150k.
But excluding 760Li, 650 GC is generally more expensive than 750Li.
BMW fans see a price tag over $100k and call it overpriced.

On the other hand, look at the inventory of Mercedes and they have load of cars at $150k-$200k such as SLS, SL AMG, CL AMG, S AMG, G wagon.
What makes the three pointed star a truly prestigious brand.

BMW really needs to establish 6 and 7 series at $100k-$130k range market and introduce CS concept II (8 series Gc) at higher price with M8 GC costing around $150k (similar to CL63).
That's their goal currently, to bridge to gap between BMW brand and rolls royce.
I can't wait to see the reaction of BMW fans when a car priced around $150k msrp comes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #52
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbimmer19 View Post
BMW has to make a jump in higher end product(s) and price to be a truly prestigious brand.

On the other hand, look at the inventory of Mercedes and they have load of cars at $150k-$200k such as SLS, SL AMG, CL AMG, S AMG, G wagon.

BMW really needs to establish 6 and 7 series at $100k-$130k range market and introduce CS concept II (8 series Gc) at higher price with M8 GC costing around $150k (similar to CL63).
That's their goal currently, to bridge to gap between BMW brand and rolls royce.
I can't wait to see the reaction of BMW fans when a car priced around $150k msrp comes out.
But they'll praise the Porsche Panamera Turbo S just because it's a Porsche. I don't see why BMW can't have an expensive car just because they're a mass producer of vehicles. People complain that there are too many BMW's on the road and they're no longer exclusive but when BMW tries to combat that by pricing a car and focus it up market, people cry that it's too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Now I understand what you were saying. There really doesn't need to be a coupe variant to compare the cars. Both the CLS and 6GC are similar price, size and have a special top tier model. Both cars could technically be put up against each other in a comparison.
You're right, the cars can absolutely be compared since they are in the same segment. But check the prices - a 6 is much more expensuve than a CLS for equivalent models. Remember, Mercedes has no 6 cylinder model in the US. If they then did it would greatly undecut the 640i (closer to an A7 in price). My point is that Mercedes cannot charge what BMW can because they don't have an established market precedent. BMW has the 6 coupe which sells quite well so they already know what the car is worth to their buying audience - it has been proven. The Gran Coupe is the same car with greater utility for what is a very slight premium really. If Mercedes could command the same price, they would - it's not generosity that drives their business model. And that goes for their E coupe vs. the 6 coupe as well. Perhaps if the CLS were based on the CL then we'd see Mercedes potential for a car like this and the price conversation would not be such a big topic. But then perhaps that would be seen as a different segment - an 8 Gran Coupe equivalent.

For some people, when we think about the Gran Coupe models without those rear doors, the price some how doesn't get a second look. Funny, huh? Well, if you consider that for some folks, putting those doors there is a godsend, you can see why they might lineup to get the 6 coupe they've always wanted but could not justify due to the lack of utility.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #54
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90
But they'll praise the Porsche Panamera Turbo S just because it's a Porsche. I don't see why BMW can't have an expensive car just because they're a mass producer of vehicles. People complain that there are too many BMW's on the road and they're no longer exclusive but when BMW tries to combat that by pricing a car and focus it up market, people cry that it's too expensive.
I would gladly pay for a BMW super car. But don't dress up a M5 and call it such. Exclusive $ should pay for exclusive engineering.
      03-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #55
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

Uhh, then how do you explain that the M6GC is priced higher than the camparable AMG CLS63? I am a huge BMW fan. But this is nothing more than a money grab by BMW while they believe their product is in high demand.

I get your point about having a higher end car for the brand. I have no problem with that if they come out with a mind engine supercar to compete with the R8 and 911 Turbo and charge over $150k for it. But dressing up a 5 series platform and charge premium for it is not a good business practice in my opinion and does a disservice to the brand.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #56
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
Uhh, then how do you explain that the M6GC is priced higher than the camparable AMG CLS63? I am a huge BMW fan. But this is nothing more than a money grab by BMW while they believe their product is in high demand.

I get your point about having a higher end car for the brand. I have no problem with that if they come out with a mind engine supercar to compete with the R8 and 911 Turbo and charge over $150k for it. But dressing up a 5 series platform and charge premium for it is not a good business practice in my opinion and does a disservice to the brand.
I really don't get why it is so hard to understand that 5 series and 6 series are completely different cars that target completely different audience.
5 series targets executives looking for a midsize daily driver.

On the other hand, 6 series is sibling to 7 series and has been since New Six in the 60s with BMW E3 and BMW E9.
640i and 650i are priced similar, basically the same as 740i and 750i.

5 series is on a shortened platform of 7 series, do people have a problem with 7 series being more expensive than 5 series? no.

I believe the problem comes from people thinking that 6 series is just a coupe version of 5 series like the 4 series is to 3 series.

Mercedes CL is on the same platform as Mercedes S class, similar concept we have with 6 series and 5 series, (even though 6 series is really sibling to 7 series.) CL is over $20,000 more expansive than S class.
I doubt CL owners don't understand why or bitch about having to pay $20k more than S class
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #57
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Is anyone complaining that the W212 E-Class coupe is two times the price of a C-Class?

If we're talking about BMW, Mercedes, Audi and to some extent Porsche, exclusivity does not mean the same thing if you were to apply it to Lamborghini's and Ferrari's. The former all have shared components from another car and have nothing really unique aside from changes in the exterior and interior. The only thing exclusive about the M6GC and other higher-priced German cars is that you won't see a lot of them on the road and guess what, the wealthy will have no problem shelling out the money because of that.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 03-25-2013 at 12:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I don't get it. I keep going to the site, but all I see is a sedan. Where's the coupe?

"Gran coupe".

Glad I got my 1SMC.
      03-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #59
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

Yes, the 5, 6 and 7 series share the same platform. But the 6 series is closer in luxury and fatures to the the 5 series than the 7 Series. So why would you expect it to be priced closer to the 7 series than the 5 series?

Go ahead, keep drinking the cool aid that BMW is serving you. If you think it makes sense to over charge for the 6SC, the more power to you. But looks like the majority of the people here don't seems to agree with you.

Quote:
I really don't get why it is so hard to understand that 5 series and 6 series are completely different cars that target completely different audience.
5 series targets executives looking for a midsize daily driver.

On the other hand, 6 series is sibling to 7 series and has been since New Six in the 60s with BMW E3 and BMW E9.
640i and 650i are priced similar, basically the same as 740i and 750i.

5 series is on a shortened platform of 7 series, do people have a problem with 7 series being more expensive than 5 series? no.

I believe the problem comes from people thinking that 6 series is just a coupe version of 5 series like the 4 series is to 3 series.

Mercedes CL is on the same platform as Mercedes S class, similar concept we have with 6 series and 5 series, (even though 6 series is really sibling to 7 series.) CL is over $20,000 more expansive than S class.
I doubt CL owners don't understand why or bitch about having to pay $20k more than S class
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #60
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

That car configurator is a tease!

That M6 GC is so damn sexy!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #61
Purcell
Private
Rep
Drives: .

To keep this thread on topic, one cannot option black leather (full/extended) with anthracite alcantara headliner. Anyone know what the headliner is if it is not anthracite? This is true via online configuration or from the options list (776 cannot be ordered with LKSW or X3SW).

I don't see why the M6GC cannot combine this headliner option with all the leather options like the M5, especially with black leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #62
sonicbimmer19
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
Yes, the 5, 6 and 7 series share the same platform. But the 6 series is closer in luxury and fatures to the the 5 series than the 7 Series. So why would you expect it to be priced closer to the 7 series than the 5 series?

Go ahead, keep drinking the cool aid that BMW is serving you. If you think it makes sense to over charge for the 6SC, the more power to you. But looks like the majority of the people here don't seems to agree with you.
I don't think 6 series is closer in luxury and features to 5 series than the 7 series. What features and luxury amenities are you basing that statement on?
Do yourself a favor and play with build your own and you'll see 6 series options/packages are almost exactly the same as 7 series packages. To be fair, 5 series packages are pretty similar too.
Obviously you have not seen/watched professional/amateur reviews saying 6 series (especially GC with Individual) is so luxurious that it makes 7 series look outdated and even cheap(?). Just watch professional reviews of 6er GC on Youtube

I can't even afford this car. BMW is serving those BMW fans that want a really sexy executive exclusive coupe @ $100k-$150k which is really great for those people.
Majority of people? I don't think so. People that know the price tag is reasonable aren't going to be posting either.

Do you think Porsche Cayenne is overpriced because it shares platform with Volkswagen Touareg? or how about that upcoming Bentley SUV that's probably going to be priced somewhere in the $300k? which also shares platform with VW Touareg?
I mean, I guess we have differences in opinions. That's cool. I think we both agree that BMW is awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #63
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
still waiting for them to work out the kinks to BYO M6CG.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #64
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryce
why the hell is the window trim silver?

hideous
It's just one more problem with the BYO site. The detail specs as well as the picture gallery show shadowline. I never understand how BMWNA allows their web site to be so full of bugs. It just doesn't fit the marketing excellence of the rest of the company.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #65
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrollsp View Post
I'd chose it over the F10 M5 any day! The M6 GC is def one of my favorite Bimmers...I want one in Frozen White! $10k for the carbon ceramic brakes option is pretty reasonable IMO considering the Brembo carbon ceramic BBK is $31k.
Did you order one? Because it looks like you chose an M3 over the M6.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #66
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

this is a tough sale to me. Although not comparable, i would rather buy the new 991s or a base 991 GT3
Appreciate 0